collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Future In-Laws  (Read 2068 times)

Seraphiel

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Future In-Laws
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:18:10 am »
My boy friend and I are having a handfasting in three months. His parents are Mennonites and we have not told them yet.

I'm not sure what to call myself yet other than pagan, I do meditations, read oracle cards, work with stones, and am very in tune with nature but have never done a spell.

About a month ago, his mom had seen my pentacle tattoo on the back of my shoulder and became very worried and bought a book talking about Wicca that was very distasteful. My boyfriend talked with her a bit about it but is not Pagan and didn't really know how to tell her what was wrong about the book. I found out about this and approached her about the situation. I told her that if she ever had any questions about anything to do with me that I would not be offended if she asked and I would be more than happy to answer her questions. We then had a lovely hour long conversation about my belief system and my personal moral code and such. She told me at the end of our talk that she wishes everyone including herself could see the world the way that I do and it ended on a very positive note. She still doesn't quite understand though.

His parents want to understand so badly it's just so hard to find correct information on it. Can someone give me a link or tell me of a good book to refer them to on the topic? also how do we explain to them what the meaning and significance of a handfasting is?

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Future In-Laws
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:37:38 pm »
Quote from: Seraphiel;102010
My boy friend and I are having a handfasting in three months. His parents are Mennonites and we have not told them yet.

I'm not sure what to call myself yet other than pagan, I do meditations, read oracle cards, work with stones, and am very in tune with nature but have never done a spell.

About a month ago, his mom had seen my pentacle tattoo on the back of my shoulder and became very worried and bought a book talking about Wicca that was very distasteful. My boyfriend talked with her a bit about it but is not Pagan and didn't really know how to tell her what was wrong about the book. I found out about this and approached her about the situation. I told her that if she ever had any questions about anything to do with me that I would not be offended if she asked and I would be more than happy to answer her questions. We then had a lovely hour long conversation about my belief system and my personal moral code and such. She told me at the end of our talk that she wishes everyone including herself could see the world the way that I do and it ended on a very positive note. She still doesn't quite understand though.

His parents want to understand so badly it's just so hard to find correct information on it. Can someone give me a link or tell me of a good book to refer them to on the topic? also how do we explain to them what the meaning and significance of a handfasting is?

Try this
, I've used this website for people who do not fully understand to get a better grip. Although I am not Wiccan, it lays out a decent fundamentalist structure for someone to begin to understand.

It's hard for me to explain to someone my path, without mislabeling the word witch, and that website doesn't do me, personally, much justice. But it may help you.

millergrls

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 02:46:36 pm »

I have no good advice on how to better explain handfasting, but I do think that it is wonderful that you are so open as well as you future in-laws.  This will make for a beautiful and happy marriage.  Much love and light wished for you.
                                           The spirit in me salutes the spirit in you
                                                                Blessed Be
                                                                     Mary

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:11:51 am »

Sorry to sound thick but what exactly are they confused / concerned about after your talk? What a handfasting is? Some aspect of your faith / practice? Modern paganism in general?

Tags: