collapse

Author Topic: Family: Foster Care? Problems with Religion and Identity  (Read 2570 times)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Foster Care? Problems with Religion and Identity
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:45:12 pm »
Hello, everyone! It's been a while since I've been here. It's been a bit of hectic season.

My partner and I were married on 10/13 after being together nearly two years. We had a handfasting in the woods and it was marvelous. I should put some pictures in the members only forum. :)

I recently came to the realization that I am genderqueer/non-binary. I had a bad bought of dysmorphia after a breast lift surgery and went to therapy and it all clicked into place. I'm somewhat still in the closet, but I've adjusted my life to a place where I feel more comfortable, and I've never been happier.

Now that my son is a bit older (2 and a half) I have been thinking of fostering a child with the hope of adoption. I'm wondering if I should even list my gender identity on the application and I'm concerned that we will be held under a microscope because of my religion. I've already decided not to say anything about our girlfriend that we see every four months or so, because she would not be around the kids very much, if at all, and there's no need for the state to know that. I don't want to lie about my religion because, well, there's evidence of it in my house everywhere. I don't want to have to clean up my altar whenever a social worker comes over.

Has anyone else here fostered a child? Did you face discrimination because of your identity or religion?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:09:05 pm by RandallS »
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Foster Care? Problems with Religion and Identity
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:19:36 pm »
Has anyone else here fostered a child? Did you face discrimination because of your identity or religion?

Hi - no, I've never fostered a child, but a colleague adopted here in the UK, and they were apparently scrutinised quite closely, closer than they'd expected (like, they delved into what phobias the prospective parents had, to consider the impact that might have on the child).

I don't really know if that's helpful or not.  There's probably online forums & stuff specifically for prospective foster carers, though, so maybe have a look around if you haven't already, and lurk some.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: Foster Care? Problems with Religion and Identity
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 01:28:41 am »
I don't want to have to clean up my altar whenever a social worker comes over. Has anyone else here fostered a child? Did you face discrimination because of your identity or religion?

I don't have any experience with fostering, but I felt like I should point out that it would be illegal for them to discriminate on the basis of religion. US laws on religious freedom are pretty cut and dry, and since foster care is government operated, any discrimination could have serious consequences for the ones doing the discriminating.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Tags: