Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: A bit of advice  (Read 2395 times)

Bael2212

• View Profile
A bit of advice
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:58:13 am »
My whole family other than myself are hardcore baptists. As it stands right now I am out of my parents and grand parents will because of my religious views. But what I find gets me through every day, every morning getting up knowing that my family hates me are a few simple facts:

1) I am the only one in my family that has a legitimate college degree.

2) I am fresh out of college and I am making more than both my mother and father combined.

3) My continued positive outlook on life and my unwillingness to fold in the face of ignorance and biased hatred.

My coping methods may not apply to every one but the best thin i can tell you is this, don't ever give up given enough time and enough desire you can have anything you want. It might sounds stupid but I spend a lot of my free time learning, and studying trying to expand my knowledge. Weather its within my own job field or if it is simply something that catches my interest. For instance a friend of mine works in a bacterial research lab at the University of Vermont; in order to intelligently converse with him I took to learning about cellular biology but this is just an example. Anything that catches your interest, take some time everyday and learn fight against ignorance. Thank you for reading this was just a rant that has been on my mind lately.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:09:50 am »
Quote from: Bael2212;65806
My whole family other than myself are hardcore baptists. As it stands right now I am out of my parents and grand parents will because of my religious views. But what I find gets me through every day, every morning getting up knowing that my family hates me are a few simple facts:

1) I am the only one in my family that has a legitimate college degree.

2) I am fresh out of college and I am making more than both my mother and father combined.

3) My continued positive outlook on life and my unwillingness to fold in the face of ignorance and biased hatred.

My coping methods may not apply to every one but the best thin i can tell you is this, don't ever give up given enough time and enough desire you can have anything you want. It might sounds stupid but I spend a lot of my free time learning, and studying trying to expand my knowledge. Weather its within my own job field or if it is simply something that catches my interest. For instance a friend of mine works in a bacterial research lab at the University of Vermont; in order to intelligently converse with him I took to learning about cellular biology but this is just an example. Anything that catches your interest, take some time everyday and learn fight against ignorance. Thank you for reading this was just a rant that has been on my mind lately.

:thup:  I think that's a great way to look at everything.  Thank you for sharing this.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:15:58 am »
It might sounds stupid but I spend a lot of my free time learning, and studying trying to expand my knowledge. Weather its within my own job field or if it is simply something that catches my interest. For instance a friend of mine works in a bacterial research lab at the University of Vermont; in order to intelligently converse with him I took to learning about cellular biology but this is just an example. Anything that catches your interest, take some time everyday and learn fight against ignorance. Thank you for reading this was just a rant that has been on my mind lately.

That doesn't sound stupid at all!  There are always new things to learn.  Good on you for keeping that attitude and doing what makes you happy =]

And welcome to the forum!
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:05:18 pm »

My only comment is to not cut your family completely off because they seem to hate you. Chances are there are others in your family who don't really hate you but are afraid to say so due to the hate the "important members" show. That will likely change with time.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Bael2212

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:55:09 am »
Quote from: RandallS;65891
My only comment is to not cut your family completely off because they seem to hate you. Chances are there are others in your family who don't really hate you but are afraid to say so due to the hate the "important members" show. That will likely change with time.

You are probably right on my mothers side my grandmothers seems to dictate the overall feelings of the family, and sadly my mother is slowly becoming more and more like my grandmother. My fathers side of the family is a little different but more or less after my grandfather on his side died my grand mother on his side went kind of crazy, more sad than anything else really.

Bongiorno

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:27:36 pm »
Quote from: Bael2212;65977
You are probably right on my mothers side my grandmothers seems to dictate the overall feelings of the family, and sadly my mother is slowly becoming more and more like my grandmother. My fathers side of the family is a little different but more or less after my grandfather on his side died my grand mother on his side went kind of crazy, more sad than anything else really.

It's simple in my family. My parents think i am stupid and tend to ignore what i do religously. my mother seems to think that people she works with are witches and put hexes on her office haha, she says a girl at work used to have blue eyes and now theyre black or something. mostly fear keeps my family skeptical and against what i believe in. i keep getting comments thrown out about not letting the evil spirits in and other stuff. I personally am enlightened enough to just see how they react and while i am amused, its not like im inviting them to Pagan Night Out lol. It only hurts if you let it.

Tags: