collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What superstititons do you keep?  (Read 4327 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: What superstititons do you keep?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 12:25:46 pm »
Quote from: Apollodorus;178733
My family is quite traditional since we live in a small village, so they keep quite a few. Most of them come from Ancient Hellas even though they think they're Christian. What an irony, eh?

Why would there be any irony?  Superstition and religion aren't the same thing.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 11:04:21 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;178975
Why would there be any irony?  Superstition and religion aren't the same thing.

In what way are they not the same other than quantitatively?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 09:01:26 pm »
Quote from: carillion;179023
In what way are they not the same other than quantitatively?

Reason for practicing them.

There can be overlap, but doing things to avoid "bad luck" isn't a religious act.  Unless you've got something religious about walking under ladders and Friday the 13th ....

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 12:02:04 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;179106
Reason for practicing them.

There can be overlap, but doing things to avoid "bad luck" isn't a religious act.  Unless you've got something religious about walking under ladders and Friday the 13th ....

Like a Catholic crossing themselves when encountering something they consider bad or evil or doing the same thing to bring a fortunate outcome in some endeavor? That's not a religious act?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:03:07 am by carillion »

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 08:34:19 pm »
Quote from: carillion;179108
Like a Catholic crossing themselves when encountering something they consider bad or evil or doing the same thing to bring a fortunate outcome in some endeavor? That's not a religious act?

I'm sure, to someone that thinks all religion is superstition anyway, that it looks the same from the outside.

THAT SAID, to the person DOING the act, there is a difference in intent.  A difference in goal, even if the method is the same.  That it looks the same from the outside is irrelevant, it's not being DONE for the outside observer.

Lots of things look the same from the outside, that doesn't make it so.  In this instance, intent IS what matters.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 09:49:47 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;179156
I'm sure, to someone that thinks all religion is superstition anyway, that it looks the same from the outside.

THAT SAID, to the person DOING the act, there is a difference in intent.  A difference in goal, even if the method is the same.  That it looks the same from the outside is irrelevant, it's not being DONE for the outside observer.

Lots of things look the same from the outside, that doesn't make it so.  In this instance, intent IS what matters.

I'm still not seeing the distinction. Neither the person crossing themselves to ward off evil/insure success or the person touching wood for the same purpose(s) are doing it for an outside observer . Indeed, most people look sheepish and self conscious if 'caught' out in touching wood or chucking salt over their shoulder. Both are personal acts.

other-wise

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 01:03:24 am »
Quote from: carillion;179157
I'm still not seeing the distinction. Neither the person crossing themselves to ward off evil/insure success or the person touching wood for the same purpose(s) are doing it for an outside observer . Indeed, most people look sheepish and self conscious if 'caught' out in touching wood or chucking salt over their shoulder. Both are personal acts.

I kind of agree here...I feel like there are a number of things I do that I might have considered superstition at an earlier point in my life (raised in a Christian family) that I've now assimilated into my spiritual practice. There are less and less things these days that I would consider superstitions. I think it's a matter of perspective.

Something that comes to mind is my family tradition of eating blacked-eyed peas and collard greens on New Years day. It's generally (in my family) considered a superstition to ensure a good and prosperous year, and whole extended family is very adamant about it! To me though, it fits right in with my kitchen witchery. The magical association of the foods, celebration of tradition, and intentional preparation are completely aligned with my spiritual practice - but separate from that of my family members, so to them it's superstition.

Tulach

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 07:15:37 am »
Quote from: Laveth;176117
One of the things I've been noticing a lot over the past year or so is how much my personal superstitions change how I perceive/do things or how I behave toward others. So I'm curious what other superstitions the rest of you put some weight to and how it affects your daily life?

If you want to include your path, that's fine too. I'm not fussed either way. :)

So I'll start.

If you tell others your dreams/goals, they won't come to fruition in the way you hope they will (or at all). So naturally, I keep everything important to myself.

To be honest, I've never considered any of my ancestors customs "superstitious". From what I have read up, it seems that outside sources and accounts from people not apart of the communities (I'm talking about the Highlands of Scotland) called the customs of my ancestors "superstitious". I don't think the rural folk ever considered their ways and traditions superstitious. Descriptions of old folk beliefs were mostly from devout Christians, usually members of a parish (or parish men themselves) who we're completely ignorant of the Rural life and it's beliefs.

I prefer to call these so called "superstitions" of mine lucky, unlucky or taboo. For example, in Scotland it was considered taboo to cut down Hawthorn as it was the sacred tree of the Good Folk (Fairy's). Certain days were considered lucky or unlucky as well, so only certain types of work were carried out on specific days.  

I keep to these traditions by not doing certain things (or doing them, depending on what they are), but superstition has absolutely nothing to do with my practices, and is not the reason why I practice them. I believe that by keeping to the “laws” of my folk (both “religious” and “secular”) it prevents bad luck, sickness...ect..., but by doing the good things...ie, offerings, protection, blah blah blah,  it gives me good luck, inheritance and blessings.  

To me, superstition to the Christian or Cleric is just another word for “stupid”. Even today, people who hold certain beliefs are called superstitious, but not in a positive way.  I believe the church is the reason why we think of certain traditions as “superstitious” (but that's my personal opinion).
This signature left intentionally blank

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 08:29:10 am »
Quote from: carillion;179157

Yes - superstitions tend to be things where we "know better" but do it anyway.  Ha ha only just in case.

A religious act we do because we mean it.

What falls where depends on the person.

Seriously, it's like saying the person saying "Jesus Christ!" because they hit their thumb with a hammer is doing the *same thing* as someone praying.  I mean, they're both invoking the name of a god, so what's the difference ..... And yet, most people can agree that the person who just hit his thumb is swearing, not praying.

Tags: