collapse

Author Topic: What do you want done with your body after you die?  (Read 12838 times)

Leona Oigheag

• View Profile
Re: What do you want done with your body after you die?
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2014, 01:13:50 am »
Quote from: Flame;88430
I think that the whole embalm, coffin, bury thing is rather wasteful, in money and space, so I'd like to be cremated and scattered across a beach or in a forest.

I don't know if any pagan paths say what should be done with a body after death. I'm just curious to everyone's responses. Does your faith influence what you want done?

Interestingly my husband and I were talking about this today.  I've been studying rites of passage and funeral rites were last week :)

In the perfect world, my organs would be used as best, and the remaining would be burned in a funeral pyre.  But given that that's not very possible, cremation is the next best thing - preferably with my spindle and a set of wooden ogham with me.

Then I'd like my ashes to be spread somewhere in nature with a good view of mountains or sea, and where they can fertilize the soil.

Fire is a big thing for me .. both as transforming and purifying.  So dealing with my body by fire makes a lot of sense.  Purify the remains, and help transform it into something else.

Ameiya

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2014, 11:03:07 pm »
Quote from: elephunky;148853
I want to either be cremated or have a green burial.

I love the idea of combining these. There are companies like this one that put your ashes into a biodegradable pot with a tree seed in it. I like the idea of being part of nature.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2014, 11:27:40 pm »
I think that the whole embalm, coffin, bury thing is rather wasteful, in money and space, so I'd like to be cremated and scattered across a beach or in a forest.

I don't know if any pagan paths say what should be done with a body after death. I'm just curious to everyone's responses. Does your faith influence what you want done?

I've always wanted to be cremated in an open, outdoor area. The idea of being buried makes me feel trapped. I'd rather the wind carry me where ever.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Hipporadish

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2014, 02:48:39 pm »

Natural burial or cremation

If natural burial in a nice meadowish area with a tree planted on top. If cremation I want my ashes scattered at Bradgate Park.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2014, 12:24:27 am »
Quote from: Ameiya;154324
I love the idea of combining these. There are companies like this one that put your ashes into a biodegradable pot with a tree seed in it. I like the idea of being part of nature.

This is actually really cool! I suppose it's a tad morbid to put it in my "Future Endeavours" bookmarks folder, but to be honest I want my body to go to good use after I die. I have no idea where I could be "planted" when I pass on ... but having my remains help support the growth of a new tree it something that has always appealed to me.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Tags: