45 (16.5%)
es, Outside my shirt
61 (22.3%)
o
33 (12.1%)
 wear a different symbol
134 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Wearing your Pentacle in public?  (Read 41217 times)

firespitter1218

• View Profile
Re: Wearing your Pentacle in public?
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2015, 07:04:58 pm »
Quote from: 8BitLady;4019
How many of you have and wear a Pentacle in public?

I don't wear a pentacle, but I do wear a hammer all day, everyday. It depends greatly on my mood and what feels right as to whether I wear it out of my shirt or in it. My hammer hangs on a black cord that's knotted in the back. Hangs just above my clavicle and just below my collar bones. No one really bats an eyelash at it when they can see it. The most interaction I really get about it, is that the few Norse pagans around the area will usually comment on it when they see it and point out theirs if they're wearing one. I've had a few hardcore metal heads make comments about it too, but it's never anything negative really.

RedFawx33

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2015, 09:57:21 am »

I have a pentacle that I got a while back, but it was mostly because I wanted something that I could point to for other people so they could sort of understand what I believe. I barely wear it at all now, although when I did, it would be up front and center, proudly displayed for all to see.

My main religious symbol is rather unconventional, and often gets mistaken for something from a video game. It's basically just an equilateral triangle, with another triangle inside it. It's most commonly known as the "Triforce." The three solid triangles represent the three physical elements, with the hollow center meaning the "spirit" aspect. (I have a more alchemical element system, only 4 elements total, not 5)

Having an unusual symbol can be a blessing and a curse. It's nice that most people don't know what you are doing, and therefore won't be weird around you. At the same time, it's frustrating because no one seems to know you're different, so you miss out on a lot of interaction with other Pagans because you got labeled a gaming nerd.
"Ah\'Roun, Tara, Kein, Mi-El..."
-Dahlan Meditation Chant

Eliphas Blackthorn

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2015, 02:42:00 pm »
Quote from: RedFawx33;181824
I have a pentacle that I got a while back, but it was mostly because I wanted something that I could point to for other people so they could sort of understand what I believe. I barely wear it at all now, although when I did, it would be up front and center, proudly displayed for all to see.

My main religious symbol is rather unconventional, and often gets mistaken for something from a video game. It's basically just an equilateral triangle, with another triangle inside it. It's most commonly known as the "Triforce." The three solid triangles represent the three physical elements, with the hollow center meaning the "spirit" aspect. (I have a more alchemical element system, only 4 elements total, not 5)

Having an unusual symbol can be a blessing and a curse. It's nice that most people don't know what you are doing, and therefore won't be weird around you. At the same time, it's frustrating because no one seems to know you're different, so you miss out on a lot of interaction with other Pagans because you got labeled a gaming nerd.

I used to wear a pentacle ring but I no longer do. I live in the South and being in the Bible belt you can get harassed for such things. I am who I am with or without a symbol to present to the world. I'd rather not get stuck in a conversation with someone whose mind is closed to anything I could say. I'm fine with that.

habbalah

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2015, 02:23:52 am »
Quote from: Eliphas Blackthorn;182548
I used to wear a pentacle ring but I no longer do. I live in the South and being in the Bible belt you can get harassed for such things. I am who I am with or without a symbol to present to the world. I'd rather not get stuck in a conversation with someone whose mind is closed to anything I could say. I'm fine with that.

I don't wear a pentacle, but I do wear a symbol related to my path (nearly) every day. Some people ask about it. Most are confused when I explain it, which is fine.
“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2015, 07:55:10 pm »
Quote from: habbalah;182765
I don't wear a pentacle, but I do wear a symbol related to my path (nearly) every day. Some people ask about it. Most are confused when I explain it, which is fine.

All my magick jewelry burned in a fire in 2010. Since  then the only jewelry I have is my wedding ring, a couple of crystal chip necklaces and... not much else.

We used to joke about the Pagan Olympics and the High Priestess Jewelry Waddle (she puts on all her ritual jewelry and then attempts to walk 10 feet).

For a time I wore a pentacle knowing that folks would ask and knowing that I could be a decent ambassador for others who wore the pentacle. LOL funny how many people thought I was Jewish.

Then I moved to a triple goddess sigil.

Like I said, right now I don't wear much jewelry at all. I don't feel the need to "show" who or what I am. LOL nor do I have money for much jewelry. Nor do I feel a need.
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

ozdust

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2016, 03:48:38 pm »

So when I decided to start back up with Wicca/Paganism, I wanted something that would be a constant reminder to myself that I have chosen this path. And I found a perfect little Pentacle necklace, it's about 1". :)
The cord I currently have brings the pentacle about halfway between my collarbone and breastbone. So when I wear certain shirts, it's visible...
But, I feel that when i wear my necklace in public, people treat me different, or, as soon as they see that necklace they are apprehensive of me?
For a time it bugged me, and I stopped wearing the necklace, which made me start lacking in my religion, big time. :mad:
So now I wear it again, and now I am getting the feeling people are feeling weird near me again.
Your thoughts? Thanks :D
I don't have any Pentacle jewelry but I have triqueta earrings I wear daily (unless I'm dressing up for a work function) and a key necklace with knotwork that I wear daily as well. The only time I take my necklace off is martial arts. I haven't heard negative comments about either. Maybe because they are subtle. I also have a tree of life decal on my car window.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:55:25 pm by ozdust »
Stacey + Adam
*Potterhead*Baby Name Lover*Business Owner*Singer
[/FONT]

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2016, 01:40:19 pm »

So when I decided to start back up with Wicca/Paganism, I wanted something that would be a constant reminder to myself that I have chosen this path. And I found a perfect little Pentacle necklace, it's about 1". :)
The cord I currently have brings the pentacle about halfway between my collarbone and breastbone. So when I wear certain shirts, it's visible...
But, I feel that when i wear my necklace in public, people treat me different, or, as soon as they see that necklace they are apprehensive of me?
For a time it bugged me, and I stopped wearing the necklace, which made me start lacking in my religion, big time. :mad:
So now I wear it again, and now I am getting the feeling people are feeling weird near me again.
Your thoughts? Thanks :D

I am a very self conscious person and I constantly worry about what others think of me. Therefore I don't wear a pentacle because I don't want to provoke remarks from my Christian friends. I did see a beautiful solid bronze Cernunnos pendant on ebay but again I did not want my Christian friends to mistake him for the devil.
I do have a triquetra pendant that I wear sometimes.
Hopefully one day I will find the confidence to display my religion with pride.

Tigress

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2016, 10:29:12 pm »

All the time. Outside the shirt. It is, after all, on a choker necklace so sort of hard to hide away.

Most people are more interested in the other necklace anyways; as it is more eastern and not quite common here in the States where I am now due to grandma's health.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2016, 12:28:41 am »
Quote from: Tigress;192789
All the time. Outside the shirt. It is, after all, on a choker necklace so sort of hard to hide away.

Most people are more interested in the other necklace anyways; as it is more eastern and not quite common here in the States where I am now due to grandma's health.

Okay, I'll bite. What's the other one?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2016, 02:05:13 am »

I don't think I've ever answered this thread, because I don't really relate to those who actually have to think about this, even though I do believe them about what their towns are like- despite being only as far as the US for most of them, it seems so far removed from my experiences (that, and that I haven't worn (or used) a pentacle in a long time).

I still don't, but I kind of have a better idea why I don't relate.

I'm from British Columbia, Canada. I grew up in the '90s-'00s, although I mostly remember the 2000s. Of course we have hick towns that are very conservative, and even cities that are (*cough*abbotsford*cough*), but for the most part, that has never affected me (and I come from a town of old white people, so).

Anyway, I got this info from the 2001 census-
The most represented faith in BC is christianity, as one might expect for Canada or the US, at 54.7% of the population. However, the pretty damn close second were those with no religious affiliation, at 35.1%, and as well as being close, this beats out any single christian denomination listed (protestant 31.4, catholic 17.2, eastern orthodox .9%, christian c.i.e. (which I believe is unspecified christians? googling turns up nothing, wikipedia redirects to 'christian') is 5.2%. I imagine the amount of those 54.7% who are practicing, let alone bothered enough by pagans to care, is actually below the no affiliation group. Obviously I don't have data for that assumption, but I think it's fairly clear why, for the most part, my local friends and I see the sort of people who'd be upset as little more serious than boogeymen.

Tigress

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2016, 09:10:20 am »
Quote from: Jack;192795
Okay, I'll bite. What's the other one?

You can "bite" all you like.

Doesn't change the fact that the chance you've heard of it are pretty much nonexistent.  It belongs to a sect of Buddhism that until the last century hasn't even been recorded in book form but was handed down generation by generation as oral tradition. More akin to Shintoism than Buddhism as it has a lot of folk lore.

It was given to me by a very close, very important friend who belongs to that sect.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:13:00 am by Tigress »

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2016, 10:52:24 am »
Quote from: Tigress;192810
You can "bite" all you like.

Doesn't change the fact that the chance you've heard of it are pretty much nonexistent.  It belongs to a sect of Buddhism that until the last century hasn't even been recorded in book form but was handed down generation by generation as oral tradition. More akin to Shintoism than Buddhism as it has a lot of folk lore.

It was given to me by a very close, very important friend who belongs to that sect.
One of the areas I spent some time with in college was folk Buddhism, so I'd love to see it and learn more, but if you're uncomfortable talking about your friend's beliefs, I understand.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tigress

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2016, 01:33:14 pm »
Quote from: Jack;192815
One of the areas I spent some time with in college was folk Buddhism, so I'd love to see it and learn more, but if you're uncomfortable talking about your friend's beliefs, I understand.

Folk Buddhism you mean that which is found widely in China or Thailand or Burma? Those are the most common examples so it'd make sense they'd be studied in college.

If yes, wrong country.

It isn't uncomfortable per say as not belonging to the sect I have no permission to speak of it. I did say until recently it wasn't recorded and so all the tradition was oral. Even the presence of a book or recordings doesn't mean all is recorded just whatever the writer knows.

Tigress

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2016, 01:45:49 pm »
Quote from: Tigress;192824
It isn't uncomfortable per say as not belonging to the sect I have no permission to speak of it. .

That's the wrong word play. English isn't my first language.

More it is, despite knowing more than quite a bit about it, I wouldn't try educating someone on this sect because I'd probably do more damage than good if I tried to. When people ask I either say Asian or Buddhist. It is usually more than enough to "explain" for most people.

Cyrianne

• Sr. Newbie
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2016, 08:40:06 pm »
I wear a different symbol

I picked I wear a different symbol because well I wear a different symbol. Always visible.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:41:39 pm by Cyrianne »

Tags: