collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Tim Tebow & public displays of piety  (Read 11059 times)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Tim Tebow & public displays of piety
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2012, 12:57:16 am »
Quote from: Owl;49093
And now we have:

Texas church expecting crowd of 30,000 for Tebow’s Easter sermon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/06/texas-church-expecting-crowd-of-30000-for-tebows-easter-sermon/related/

Jesus.  
Sigh...

“Obviously it’s our Super Bowl,” said Joe Champion, pastor at the Celebration Church.

Well, everything within its proper context I guess...

What if they gave a Tebow and nobody came?
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Ghost of the Navigator

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2012, 02:05:00 am »
Quote from: Altair;49101
Whatever. It's their church and their holiday, so let them do what they will with it. Better Tebow doing it in the pulpit than on the football field. Now if only he would *keep* it in the pulpit.

Well now he will have his pulpit on a football field (Where the San Deigo Chargers play).  http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-New-York-Jets-Fathers-Day-sermon-Qualcomm-Stadium-061512

I am a lifelong Broncos fan and I am so happy to see Mr. Tebow leave Denver.  He does have a cult like following that praises him no matter what he does.  Yes it was annoying to listen to him bring up Jesus brought every other sentence.  He single handedly turned our team in to a circus and was voted by the players as 2nd most overrated player in the game today.  As a quarterback he just can't cut it, never has a qb that only completes 46.5% of his passes gotten so much publicity.  In a league with 32 teams he ranked 34th in completion percentage.  That is why he is no longer a Bronco.  

To those who equated his preaching with sexual harassment (catja6 loved your post), lets take a look at a what it would sound like if we replaced 'Jesus' with 'Boobs'.  "My faith in Boobs motivates me to be a better person.  I love Boobs, and Boobs love me!  I wish everyone could get to know Boobs like I do!  I am just going to do my best to spread the joy and love of Boobs.  Thank you Boobs."  Yep sounds like harassment to me!

I agree there is nothing against the rules about what he does but after a while it gets old and I guarantee if a another young man dedicated to another faith were so outspoken about his faith he would not receive such approval.  

I am sorry Altair but welcome to the Tebow circus and its not like your team needs any more of a circus like atmosphere.  On the plus side though you may have just gotten a franchise running back if he can keep his mouth shut.

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2012, 03:09:03 am »
Quote from: Ghost of the Navigator;60261
I am a lifelong Broncos fan and I am so happy to see Mr. Tebow leave Denver.  He does have a cult like following that praises him no matter what he does.  Yes it was annoying to listen to him bring up Jesus brought every other sentence.  He single handedly turned our team in to a circus and was voted by the players as 2nd most overrated player in the game today.  As a quarterback he just can't cut it, never has a qb that only completes 46.5% of his passes gotten so much publicity.  In a league with 32 teams he ranked 34th in completion percentage.  That is why he is no longer a Bronco.

I'm a lifelong Broncos fan as well, and I, too, was happy to see Tebow leave because he's a mediocre QB at best.

However, I find Tebow refreshing.  He's a man who walks the talk and is thankful for the graces that are given to him by his God.  I don't think he's a hypocrite and I believe he is truly devout.

He's not hiding his religion in the closet.  He doesn't feel the need to "come out of the broom closet."  He's living as he believes.  I don't think he ever intended to use the NFL as a pulpit--that was all media hype.  He's trying to live life as he believes is best, putting his God first.

Which is why I think everyone is so shocked and angry.  We don't like people that do this.  Jesus, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr.---men of faith and peace don't seem to fare so well in society.  (Mind you, I'm not putting Tim Tebow in this class, but he's walking the talk and not hiding his beliefs.)

A lot of the comments I've seen in this thread are truly offensive and reek of non-tolerance and childish hatred.

I'm disappointed.

To those who equated his preaching with sexual harassment (catja6 loved your post), lets take a look at a what it would sound like if we replaced 'Jesus' with 'Boobs'.  "My faith in Boobs motivates me to be a better person.  I love Boobs, and Boobs love me!  I wish everyone could get to know Boobs like I do!  I am just going to do my best to spread the joy and love of Boobs.  Thank you Boobs."  Yep sounds like harassment to me!

Really?  Really???  Let's replace "Boobs" for the name of your God/desses in a ritual and see how that sounds.

I agree there is nothing against the rules about what he does but after a while it gets old and I guarantee if a another young man dedicated to another faith were so outspoken about his faith he would not receive such approval.

Tim Tebow is putting his spiritual beliefs first and foremost, regardless of what society says is acceptable.  THAT's why everyone is so fascinated with him.  He doesn't hide in the closet or just preach about Jesus on Sunday.  He walks the talk.

If it gets old, change the channel.

I just really do find it refreshing to find someone who's not embarrassed to acknowledge and thank their God, regardless of what others think.

And I see a lot of non-tolerance towards Christians in this thread that's > the vice versa.

~EJay
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2012, 06:00:00 am »
Quote from: EJay;61831

Tim Tebow is putting his spiritual beliefs first and foremost, regardless of what society says is acceptable.  THAT's why everyone is so fascinated with him.  He doesn't hide in the closet or just preach about Jesus on Sunday.  He walks the talk.

If it gets old, change the channel.

I just really do find it refreshing to find someone who's not embarrassed to acknowledge and thank their God, regardless of what others think.

And I see a lot of non-tolerance towards Christians in this thread that's > the vice versa.

I haven't read this thread since it was last active, but iirc most of the people here weren't criticizing him for his beliefs, but for thrusting them on anyone and everyone that looks at him.  That and the media for sensationalizing what he does.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2012, 08:27:22 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;61858
I haven't read this thread since it was last active, but iirc most of the people here weren't criticizing him for his beliefs, but for thrusting them on anyone and everyone that looks at him.  That and the media for sensationalizing what he does.

Exactly. I don't think anyone had much of a problem with him believing what he wishes to, just with the NFL ignoring their rules on touchdowns displays to allow him to thrust his religion in front of a large audience and with the media for putting it front and center.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2012, 04:14:20 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;61872

Just hanging an update:
http://www.volokh.com/2012/10/21/can-you-tebowtm

He is trying to trademark it.

The New York Jets backup quarterback is trademarking “Tebowing,” the move in which he goes down on one knee and holds a clenched fist against his forehead while praying during games. . . .

The devout Christian says his representatives filed on his behalf not for financial gain, but “to just control how it’s used, make sure it’s used in the right way.”

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2012, 04:56:15 pm »
Quote from: sailor;77546
Just hanging an update:

Oh, give me a break! (And I can just imagine someone screaming "free speech" as soon as he tries to sue somebody.....)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Grimnir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2012, 05:06:27 pm »
Just hanging an update:

Oh my Gods. SO glad I don't have to put up with that - I'm NOT a sports fan - not at all! but this takes the biscuit
Kind Regards, Raven
Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel! - Fate goes ever as she shall!

Euryalus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2012, 05:13:54 pm »
Just hanging an update:

There's a right way to use it? :p

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2012, 05:16:50 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;77551
Oh, give me a break! (And I can just imagine someone screaming "free speech" as soon as he tries to sue somebody.....)

Remains to be seen if he can actually do so, but from the comments he'd only prevent the word Tebow (and associate endings) from being put on items for sale. so expect a slew of shirts with his image being sold soon.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:17 pm »
Quote from: Altair;47678

Stumbled across this today and thought some might find it interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-raushenbush/tim-tebow-first-baptist-dallas_b_2734677.html

(Notice that it doesn't say his actual reason for cancelling the speaking engagement, only "due to new information.")
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:33 pm »
Quote from: Vermillion;48610
Again, the bottom line is, where do we draw the line. The line needs to be drawn at any religion display in game. Opinion.

So, if I worship a god of sporting events, I'm not allowed to do a small dedication? As long as it's not being disruptive to the game, I don't think it should matter whether my celebration is religious in manner or simply celebratory. If you were saying that there should be no form of touchdown celebration at all, that would be one thing. It seems like you're essentially saying that people shouldn't be allowed to embrace their spirituality in their everyday lives.

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2013, 04:13:37 pm »
Quote from: MattyG;97719
So, if I worship a god of sporting events, I'm not allowed to do a small dedication? As long as it's not being disruptive to the game, I don't think it should matter whether my celebration is religious in manner or simply celebratory. If you were saying that there should be no form of touchdown celebration at all, that would be one thing. It seems like you're essentially saying that people shouldn't be allowed to embrace their spirituality in their everyday lives.

I just find it tacky. Maybe it's a Northeast thing, but that's the way I was raised. Under ordinary circumstances--i.e., outside of important religious holidays--why the hell would one need to flaunt one's personal spirituality? Why wouldn't a mental nod to one's god(s) serve just as well? Who is the flaunter trying to impress?

It strikes me as either proselytizing, an attempt to impose religious hegemony, insecurity, or a combo of all three.

Nobody else cares what your spiritual beliefs are (or they shouldn't). Just as nobody else cares who you're banging (or they shouldn't). Public displays of piety are as tacky to me as public displays of affection; you might as well have a heavy petting session on a crowded city bus while you're at it.

Private is private. But I guess that's just me.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2013, 01:13:21 am »
Quote from: Altair;97731
Private is private. But I guess that's just me.

I suppose, but I just wonder, do you feel the same about Muslims bowing to Mecca in public? I think there's a difference between performing a personal act of prayer in a public place, and trying to convert the masses. I just don't like telling people where they are and aren't allowed to pray so long as 1) they're not being disruptive to normal, peaceable behavior, and 2) they're not an authority figure leading unwilling underlings in prayer.

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2013, 01:18:10 am »
Quote from: Altair;47843
Catja's comment reminds me of something I've seen several times but never seen attributed:

"Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat."

Sorry, but am I the only one who thinks it's incredibly inappropriate to compare public prayer to sexual assault? It's incredibly disrespectful to victims of rape and with this metaphor, specifically molested children. That's just my opinion though. Maybe I'm overly sensitive.

Tags: