Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The Aftermath of the Interfaith Prayer Service  (Read 2029 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
The Aftermath of the Interfaith Prayer Service
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:19:11 pm »
Not sure where to put this, feel free to move it.

My first post on TC was about an "Interfaith Prayer Service" that was interfaith as long as they liked your religion. I just went to that service, like ten minutes ago, and it was friggin awkward.
They started off nice, with a beautiful Hawaiian chant, and then it slowly devolved into the Christianizing of the other four major world religions. And they used the Tibetan singing bowl wrong...

What I'm wondering is if anyone else went to an interfaith service that went sour or an interfaith service that went nicely. It would be really interesting to hear some stories! Thanks! :)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: The Aftermath of the Interfaith Prayer Service
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:42:14 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;137679
Not sure where to put this, feel free to move it.

My first post on TC was about an "Interfaith Prayer Service" that was interfaith as long as they liked your religion. I just went to that service, like ten minutes ago, and it was friggin awkward.
They started off nice, with a beautiful Hawaiian chant, and then it slowly devolved into the Christianizing of the other four major world religions. And they used the Tibetan singing bowl wrong...

What I'm wondering is if anyone else went to an interfaith service that went sour or an interfaith service that went nicely. It would be really interesting to hear some stories! Thanks! :)

Ah, by interfaith they must have meant "massive amounts of cultural appropriation." Common mistake.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:41 pm »

I went to one after 9/11. It consisted of most of the religious leaders (including non-Christian ones) in the San Antonio area saying prayers for those who were killed, injured, or otherwise affected.  I thought it was handled quite well even if a couple of the big name fundie preachers seemed a bit uncomfortable with the whole thing.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Caroline

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:23:40 pm »

I've been to a great number of interfaith events. The ones that worked well had one important thing in common - they had members or clergy of the included faiths taking an active (and relatively equal) role in the proceedings.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 08:26:37 am »
Quote from: Caroline;137714
The ones that worked well had one important thing in common - they had members or clergy of the included faiths taking an active (and relatively equal) role in the proceedings.

That was how the 9/11 one I attended went. Every clergy member had a fairly equal role (they said a prayer and perhaps made a few comments on the situation. The only exception was the MC who introduced everyone and said the final prayer. Very little chance for anyone to go off the rails.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: