Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Symbolism gone wrong  (Read 4175 times)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: Symbolism gone wrong
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 04:18:41 am »

Real life has been kicking my ass lately. Don't have time to dig up sources; feel free to take what I say about Hindus and Jains getting harassed with a pinch of salt. Will look for sources when I'm less distracted by shit.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 11:08:06 am »
(I really hate Nazis, and the way they abused Indian culture offends everything I value - I always have to be careful how I express myself because some of the Nazis dabbled in -and bastardized- eastern religious ideas. I imagine some protestants feel the same way about the KKK and the cross.)

When I was looking up (for my own curiosity) some of the things the Brahmin I follow on the tweeters has said about the swastika in Hindu usage, I came across one tweet that really stuck with me, where he commented that he really wishes that people would call the Nazi thing the hakkencreuz - the actual word the Nazis used for it.

Because not only has the symbol been stolen the indigenous word has been taken too.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 11:45:30 am »
he really wishes that people would call the Nazi thing the hakkencreuz - the actual word the Nazis used for it.

I could get behind that sentiment, especially since the word Swastika doesn't just refer to the actual pictoral symbol, but also the concept that symbol represents; it's also a somewhat common given name in parts of India, and nobody need their name associated with acts of genocide they didn't commit.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 06:12:06 pm »
When I was looking up (for my own curiosity) some of the things the Brahmin I follow on the tweeters has said about the swastika in Hindu usage, I came across one tweet that really stuck with me, where he commented that he really wishes that people would call the Nazi thing the hakkencreuz - the actual word the Nazis used for it.

Because not only has the symbol been stolen the indigenous word has been taken too.

This seems like a good start when it comes to distinguishing the personal religious practices of some Eastern faiths from harbingers of hate crimes.

I'd also point out that if you're not Hindu, Buddhist, or Jain and still find value in the swastika design, you're not completely out of luck either. The symbol's history in Europe is complex, and it has a number of variant designs that can be tweaked such that they carry a similar "radiating solar image" symbolism but do not immediately evoke the Nazi hakkencreuz. For instance, I created this symbol on those principles.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Zlote Jablko

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Slavic/ PIE Recon
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 11:16:36 pm »
This seems like a good start when it comes to distinguishing the personal religious practices of some Eastern faiths from harbingers of hate crimes.

I'd also point out that if you're not Hindu, Buddhist, or Jain and still find value in the swastika design, you're not completely out of luck either. The symbol's history in Europe is complex, and it has a number of variant designs that can be tweaked such that they carry a similar "radiating solar image" symbolism but do not immediately evoke the Nazi hakkencreuz. For instance, I created this symbol on those principles.

Yeah, some Eastern European wheel symbols are distinguishable from the swastika of popular culture. The Slavic kolovrat (below) and the Baltic ugunskrust for example. I’ve still seen people react with confusion to them though.

https://goo.gl/images/MWRb2P

Tags: