Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Summer into Autumn  (Read 1330 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Summer into Autumn
« on: August 27, 2020, 05:36:20 pm »
Every year, anytime from around now to sometimes as late as the 1st week of October, I experience these emotions about the change from summer into autumn.

I start to see signs of the coming of the autumn, and I go through this period of 'clinging' to the last vestiges of summer, and putting off accepting the change of seasons.

I love the autumn, so it isn't that I dislike this season.  But I guess I'm aware that there'll be 3 entire seasons before the summer comes around again.  Winter can seem so long, especially if particularly cold or wet.  And I always spend most of spring longing for the warm, fine weather to roll around (and it can obviously be unreliable).

I love the freedom of the summer, to be able to just walk out the door with no coat or sometimes without even any shoes on in my case.  You can just go outdoors and do your thing, and don't generally have to worry about the ground (or park bench, or whatever) being wet if you decide to sit for a while.  And I guess the summer is strongly associated with being carefree in my part of the world, too, because as kids we had the school summer holidays each year of course.  Plus the long days and extra daylight just generally lift my mood all round, and always have done.

The past few years the transition from late summer into autumn has been more gradual than 2020.  I guess there's a chance we might get a late spell of extra summer over the next month, but so far it's turned wet and grey earlier than previous years.  I've become accustomed to weeks of blue skies and golden fields with just that hint of autumn in the air, getting gradually cooler day by day.  But it seems we might not get those elements this year.

Of course with the lockdown I'm working from home, too, so I'm not going out travelling and have only got the weather I can see out of my windows to go on.  So that might be exacerbating things.

I'm trying to decide how I can reconcile myself to this different autumn onset this year, how I can embrace it.  Any thoughts anyone?

I'm thinking of some herbal teas maybe, I've also got a scrumptious chai latte powdered tea drink which is highly sugary but very pleasant on cooler, wet afternoons and evenings.  Things of that sort.

Does anyone else experience anything similar?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
Re: Summer into Autumn
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:01:24 pm »
Every year, anytime from around now to sometimes as late as the 1st week of October, I experience these emotions about the change from summer into autumn.

I start to see signs of the coming of the autumn, and I go through this period of 'clinging' to the last vestiges of summer, and putting off accepting the change of seasons.

I love the autumn, so it isn't that I dislike this season.  But I guess I'm aware that there'll be 3 entire seasons before the summer comes around again.  Winter can seem so long, especially if particularly cold or wet.  And I always spend most of spring longing for the warm, fine weather to roll around (and it can obviously be unreliable).

I love the freedom of the summer, to be able to just walk out the door with no coat or sometimes without even any shoes on in my case.  You can just go outdoors and do your thing, and don't generally have to worry about the ground (or park bench, or whatever) being wet if you decide to sit for a while.  And I guess the summer is strongly associated with being carefree in my part of the world, too, because as kids we had the school summer holidays each year of course.  Plus the long days and extra daylight just generally lift my mood all round, and always have done.

The past few years the transition from late summer into autumn has been more gradual than 2020.  I guess there's a chance we might get a late spell of extra summer over the next month, but so far it's turned wet and grey earlier than previous years.  I've become accustomed to weeks of blue skies and golden fields with just that hint of autumn in the air, getting gradually cooler day by day.  But it seems we might not get those elements this year.

Of course with the lockdown I'm working from home, too, so I'm not going out travelling and have only got the weather I can see out of my windows to go on.  So that might be exacerbating things.

I'm trying to decide how I can reconcile myself to this different autumn onset this year, how I can embrace it.  Any thoughts anyone?

I'm thinking of some herbal teas maybe, I've also got a scrumptious chai latte powdered tea drink which is highly sugary but very pleasant on cooler, wet afternoons and evenings.  Things of that sort.

Does anyone else experience anything similar?

I can understand where your coming from Perdita, but oddly it is quite the opposite for me. I dread when Spring comes. When Winter turns to Spring is when I start to be depressed. And I know that it is really odd, but it is the truth. I prefer darkness to light. I have nothing against Spring, but Spring brings Summer and longer days for me. I live in WV and my fondest memories as a child were sledding, going to park to stay for a weekend in Winter, warm fires, things like that. I would suggest maybe a poster board with pictures of Autumn and things related to Autumn. Get little pumpkins. Some that are hand sized. I hope I have helped a bit.
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 12:19:02 am »

And I just had my very first Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte of the season this very morning...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

(Hat-tip Altair)
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 07:36:58 am »
I can understand where your coming from Perdita, but oddly it is quite the opposite for me. I dread when Spring comes. When Winter turns to Spring is when I start to be depressed. And I know that it is really odd, but it is the truth. I prefer darkness to light. I have nothing against Spring, but Spring brings Summer and longer days for me.

My husband would agree with you here!

I would suggest maybe a poster board with pictures of Autumn and things related to Autumn. Get little pumpkins. Some that are hand sized. I hope I have helped a bit.

You know, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, to work on some autumn decorations - except that I completed a wreath of handmade paper autumn leaves (and one for my friend) the year before last & those had been quite a bit of work.

Thank you  :)

And I just had my very first Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte of the season this very morning...

Mmm yes - last autumn my folks took me to Harry Potter World as a late birthday treat and I had a pumpkin spice latte from the coffee shop there (we didn't do butterbear, as we'd been told it was awfully sweet!)  I might see what else is available from the grocery store to make at home, actually (though I've a cupboard full of herbal teas I rarely ever drink!)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 06:48:57 pm »
The past few years the transition from late summer into autumn has been more gradual than 2020. 

Around here autumn seems to have arrived like a freight train - though that may just be by comparison to the sweltering summer we had. I've begun to do what I usually do, which is to take down all my 'summer' decor and put out the fall stuff.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: seasons