Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Signs of the season 2019  (Read 6296 times)

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Signs of the season 2019
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 09:23:56 am »
What natural activity is going on where you are?

I have the year's first tenant in a terrarium that I've set up as a flophouse for cat-injured slowworms (a species of cute legless lizard). It's warm enough that they're waking up from their semi-sleep. They are helpless against cats and so I rescue them from little paws and jaws, apply ointment, and feed them until they're fat and shiny-scaled.

It's mating season for slowworms and my tenant is a fine gent with his temporary blue spots. 

The birch trees leafed out this past weekend and I saw the first wagtail ambling across the pavement.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 07:14:18 pm »
Pretty heavy rains where I am in Texas. I can see the creeks swelling.

We seem to have missed the flooding here, though Quebec and the Ottawa area are in quite a bit of trouble. This must be part of a different watershed or something; the news keeps referencing the water levels in 2017, when my region did have some flooding, but so far so good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 11:10:39 pm »
The leaf buds (previously described as 'tightly furled') on the trees and bushes that are very close to my building (and thus benefitting from the building's warmth) have been gradually unfurling pretty much since I described them as 'tight'; they aren't quite leaves yet, but they're not exactly buds any more either. I think 'green haze' will be on the early side this year (that's when one looks at more-distant trees, and what have been just bare branches have become surrounded by a faint greenish halo - usually not until five or ten days into May, here).

And as soon as I said that, two or three trees in sight of my balcony did start showing green haze, though most haven't yet.

A butterfly fluttered by my balcony on Sunday afternoon.

Alas, I doubt the butterfly survived what happened yesterday: a spring snowstorm. While we don't get them every year, they're a not-uncommon feature (see, 'summer arrives but winter doesn't leave'): sopping wet, heavy (this year's was relatively light, only a foot or less), and often accompanied by high gusty winds. Basically, soggy blizzards.

Much of the snow has already melted again, and the grass revealed is very green indeed.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Left Hand Path with a dash of Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 04:59:18 pm »

Got our first ant visit of the season today. Cats kept chasing after it as they are typically wont to do.

The grass is growing so fast right now, and there's a shift towards mostly sunny weather.
“It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." ~Salvador Dali

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 12:49:38 pm »
Got our first ant visit of the season today. Cats kept chasing after it as they are typically wont to do.

The grass is growing so fast right now, and there's a shift towards mostly sunny weather.

The green shift here in NYC in just 3 weeks has been astonishing: from a delicate, pale green lacy haze on the trees, to full-blown leaf-out.

And I had my first American Lady butterfly of the year.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 04:04:41 pm »
I think 'green haze' will be on the early side this year....

And as soon as I said that, two or three trees in sight of my balcony did start showing green haze, though most haven't yet.

Alas, I doubt the butterfly survived what happened yesterday: a spring snowstorm. While we don't get them every year, they're a not-uncommon feature (see, 'summer arrives but winter doesn't leave'): sopping wet, heavy (this year's was relatively light, only a foot or less), and often accompanied by high gusty winds. Basically, soggy blizzards.

It's being a particularly... interesting... 'summer's here but winter hasn't left' this year. I emerged from IKEA last week into All The Weather: simultanous rain, snow, and hail, with thunder (and presumably lightning though I didn't see it) and strong wind, but sunshine beaming in from the west because it was evening and the stormclouds were overhead while the western sky was clear. A comprehensive sampler! - well, not quite; there was no fog. That appeared the morning after next.

The more wintry parts of the weather seem to have slowed the Green Haze, so I was wrong about it being early. Though a couple more trees on my street did start showing, aside from that, the ones that had infant foliage didn't noticeably expand it, and those that didn't held off. The former are now, just as of the last day or two, increasing their greenness, but the latter are still biding their time.

The birds don't care; they're turning my neighborhood into an avian karaoke singles bar.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 06:22:46 pm »

Saw my first ladybugs of the year, two of them, while weeding.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 08:49:11 am »
Saw my first ladybugs of the year, two of them, while weeding.

Also first sunburn of the year  :-[ Figuratively facepalming because a real one would hurt.  Note to self: You own a garden hat for a reason, DON'T GO OUTSIDE without it!

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 08:53:14 pm »
The more wintry parts of the weather seem to have slowed the Green Haze, so I was wrong about it being early. Though a couple more trees on my street did start showing, aside from that, the ones that had infant foliage didn't noticeably expand it, and those that didn't held off. The former are now, just as of the last day or two, increasing their greenness, but the latter are still biding their time.

Theme of the season: I post, and the trees proceed to make a liar of me, or at least render me obsolete. Several more trees are showing green, so although there are also still several naked (or clad in last year's treestuffs - mostly seedpods and such rather than leftover dry leaves), we seem to be at that point when they seem to change not just from day to day but over the course of a few hours. So Calgary's most springlike period has arrived, pretty much right on time.

It doesn't last long; by the end of the month if not sooner, the trees will be in full leaf and summer-like heat will be possible and not unseasonable. (And it's a weekend, too - current and former Minnesotans and their friends are invited to come here, in spirit if not in body, for a picnic ;D.)

Sunflower

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 02:28:20 pm »
The leaves on the oak trees near where I live are now recognisably oak leaf shaped, though still not quite full sized and still that very striking, bright spring green colour.

There's still a few trees which are just at the green haze stage, but mostly we're fully green here - it's still that very bright green, though, which I love.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 05:46:28 pm »
Several more trees are showing green, so although there are also still several naked

The magnolias are blooming here, I expect the decorative apple trees will be next.

Also, rabbits are suddenly everywhere.  I was at my parents' place for sunday dinner, we had the news on the TV but we (all grown-ass adults) were at the window watching a couple of rabbits eat grass.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 04:01:25 am »
Also, rabbits are suddenly everywhere.  I was at my parents' place for sunday dinner, we had the news on the TV but we (all grown-ass adults) were at the window watching a couple of rabbits eat grass.

I love it!  That'd be me and my family, too.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: