collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Signs of the season 2019  (Read 6430 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Signs of the season 2019
« on: April 10, 2019, 06:18:55 pm »
Spring is springing in the northern hemisphere! Where I'm at, the first bulbs are pushing up green spikes, and some birds are arriving.

A somewhat unusual sign of spring that I spotted: my window at work looks out on a natural updraft spot, apparently, and most mornings last summer there were turkey vultures circling there. A pair of them was back last week.

What natural activity is going on where you are?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Signs of the season 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:11:39 pm »

I have been rebelliously refusing to wear a jacket (just my usual cardigan for indoor wear through Mayish) since spring equinox. It is mostly working.

I moved in January, and there are little green shoots coming up in the back garden (I suspect they may be crocuses, or something along those lines, but they're just the green bits right now.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:10:33 pm »

I have both heard and seen geese; they're now flying in various directions in pairs, rather than northishly in vees. I haven't yet seen a robin, but I've been enjoying hearing them (and other seasonal songbirds). The ends of tree branches are showing what are unmistakably buds, though still very tightly furled. Lawns are beginning to show green patches, though I had to get up and look to see if they were, they're not very prominent yet.

And I've been mostly wearing warmer-season clothing (which makes Preparing To Out significantly less spoon-consuming), also since around the equinox, but that's unusual around here, and due, I think, more to a) Feb/early Mar were unseasonably bitter, and I'm acclimatized, and b) chinook conditions have largely prevailed since the 'bitter' broke, so it's milder than usual.

And of course Moar Light.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:15:22 am »

The salamanders are back! They only come out when it's warmish and wettish, so they're a spring/fall event (though I've sometimes seen very torpid ones in winter). They come out of the grate that's in front of our front door, so I need to make sure the outdoor light is on for a while before it gets dark, or there will be several of them all over where we need to step to get inside.

I've also noticed more birds chirping throughout the day, and I saw a robin the other week.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Seeker
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:48:40 am »

Spring has exploded where I am. Two weeks ago things were just beginning to bud, now the ground is carpeted with spring wildflowers and the trees are in full bloom. The bird activity is fantastic. This is my first season here and I am loving it.

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 10:18:43 pm »
Lawns are beginning to show green patches, though I had to get up and look to see if they were, they're not very prominent yet.

Update: Wet snow today has facilitated the transition, and there's lots more green! (Things change very rapidly here in this season, which is part of why I've often said that Calgary doesn't have spring, it just has whatever intervening time there might be if winter leaves before summer arrives - this is one of the years in which that doesn't happen, so we have some of both.)

Suflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 06:59:00 am »
The bugs are awake.  :)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 06:41:41 pm »
Update: Wet snow today has facilitated the transition, and there's lots more green! (Things change very rapidly here in this season, which is part of why I've often said that Calgary doesn't have spring, it just has whatever intervening time there might be if winter leaves before summer arrives - this is one of the years in which that doesn't happen, so we have some of both.)

Suflower

Yeah, I've sometimes thought that about Ontario, too. I'm not putting my boots away just yet.  :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 12:38:18 am »
Spring is springing in the northern hemisphere! Where I'm at, the first bulbs are pushing up green spikes, and some birds are arriving.

A somewhat unusual sign of spring that I spotted: my window at work looks out on a natural updraft spot, apparently, and most mornings last summer there were turkey vultures circling there. A pair of them was back last week.

I've been seeing flowers for weeks now. First little daffodils in the courtyard and the scraps of earth along the sidewalk beyond the gate, and now, on my way down the little causeway leading to the elevator from downtown to the waterfront, I saw vivid tulips just about to bloom. They make lovely splashes of color in the still-gray-and-wet cityscape.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 08:57:42 am »
I've been seeing flowers for weeks now.

Ditto.  We had crocuses and then daffodils early on, and now we've trees fully in blossom (in fact we'll be reaching the point of all the blossom blowing away any minute now).  Trees had budded already and well on the way to the start of leaves now.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 06:39:46 pm »
Trees had budded already and well on the way to the start of leaves now.

The frogs have awakened! (and they are noisy.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 05:02:35 pm »
The frogs have awakened! (and they are noisy.)

The leaf buds (previously described as 'tightly furled') on the trees and bushes that are very close to my building (and thus benefitting from the building's warmth) have been gradually unfurling pretty much since I described them as 'tight'; they aren't quite leaves yet, but they're not exactly buds any more either. I think 'green haze' will be on the early side this year (that's when one looks at more-distant trees, and what have been just bare branches have become surrounded by a faint greenish halo - usually not until five or ten days into May, here).

A butterfly fluttered by my balcony on Sunday afternoon.

Sunflower

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 05:39:56 pm »
I think 'green haze' will be on the early side this year (that's when one looks at more-distant trees, and what have been just bare branches have become surrounded by a faint greenish halo - usually not until five or ten days into May, here).

A butterfly fluttered by my balcony on Sunday afternoon.

As predicted, here, we've already reached the stage of the tree blossoms blowing away, in some cases at least.  I was also lucky enough to be able to sit out on the front lawn for a few minutes in some of the recent afternoons, to sit & listen to wood-pigeons and other birds.  Although today it turned cooler again (and it's forecast to rain -April showers- for the next few days, at least).

I saw my first wasp about a week ago, it had flown into the stairwell at work - I dislike wasps (understatement!), so it stuck in my mind!

The leaves on the oak trees near where I live are now recognisably oak leaf shaped, though still not quite full sized and still that very striking, bright spring green colour.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 08:10:36 pm »

Kentucky had a mild winter, that was neither flooded like most of the south nor snowy like most of the north.

Consequentially, we are having one heck of a spring.

Everything is in bloom, grass is growing super fast, there are insects everywhere (I even saw a junebug).
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Zlote Jablko

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Slavic/ PIE Recon
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 07:19:09 am »

Pretty heavy rains where I am in Texas. I can see the creeks swelling. On spring equinox I tossed a Marzanna doll into the creek near where I live, and she sat there until the next spring rain washed her away.

Still feels like Spring, but the Summer heat is approaching fast. It always does here.

Tags: