Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Self-Dedication  (Read 4115 times)

ForeverLearning

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Dedication
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 06:16:45 pm »
Quote from: AmberHeart;30940
The Religion of Wicca is only ONE of the modern religions of Witchcraft. The Craft (with diverse frameworks) exists across many different modern Witchcraft Traditions. All autonmous, whether shared or individual. So if that is what you self-dedicated to, it doesn't need to even involve Wicca. All Wiccans are Witches but all Witches are not Wiccans, in other words. And if Witchcraft isn't where you fit, then better to find that out sooner than later.

And while the mileage may vary on this (as more than a few authors have claimed), as I understand it from within a properly trained lineaged Wiccan framework, you may Self-Dedicate yourself to the Gods of Wicca or specific gods but not to the Religion itself as a whole. Each Tradition and Coven and indeed each Witch are considered autonomous so the 'Religion of Wicca' functions more as an overarching label than indicating a monolithic entity with a hierarchical authority like The Church for example that one make an oath to.

Which is another reason why you can't Self-Initiate and why you can be Initiated into a Coven and/or Tradition by others but that initiation isn't valid within any other Wiccan Trad or Coven.

Amber

That is true, and I am discovering this more and more. Which is why I only dedicated myself instead of initiating; I'm aware that while you can self-initiate (depending on your point of view) many people won't accept it and it's a big step anyway. I am lucky that I'm good a research; I research a lot before diving into anything usually. Personally I've never liked the thought of oathing myself to one religion since my religious views are too wide to really fit into any one religion; it just isn't for me...when I started out, 'Wicca' was a very convieniant label, and I still feel a strong pull towards the practices, but I have outgrown that specific label and am looking elseware for a general label that I can use to describe my beliefs to others.
My occupation? I don\'t really have one--but in my spare time I look through my telescope searching for that curious man in the flying blue box.

ForeverLearning

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Dedication
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »
Quote from: MoonChild78;30879
Could the fact that you did a dedication just be freaking you out now and that's why your running?  Just a thought... I know it did for me after mine like "OMG I just left this other religion and now I'm throwing myself into this one... UUGH!!".

My advise is relax, breath and let it be.  Meditate and see where the Gods lead you... it might be surprising!!

Best of Luck
*BB

Yeah, pretty much! I'm so glad it wasn't anything as heavy as an initiation. That's just too serious for me to do at this age!
My occupation? I don\'t really have one--but in my spare time I look through my telescope searching for that curious man in the flying blue box.

Tags: