Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Science and Religion  (Read 6304 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Science and Religion
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:02:08 pm »
So, I was wondering: what role does general science play in your religion? Does it play a role at all?
Do your gods figure into your understanding of science, or is it the other way around? Or neither?

Can't wait to see what your answers are! :)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Re: Science and Religion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:32 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;140990
So, I was wondering: what role does general science play in your religion? Does it play a role at all?
Do your gods figure into your understanding of science, or is it the other way around? Or neither?

While I think this is a pretty good question to ask, generally speaking, I keep Science as Science and Religion as Religion. I don't mix my understandings of them.

I'm fairly new to my own religion, which means there is a lot of aspects I haven't touched on in my practice. The way my religion relates to science, if at all, is something for later on down the road ;).
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:14:49 pm »

I actually believe science and religion go hand in hand. Religion could explain what was created, who, when, why, and that sort of thing. It could explain what happens, when and so on, and science could explain HOW things are/were done, all the steps, all the necessary elements that needed to come together. Science can help us better make sense of, and understand how things work, in relation to what religion tells us (no matter what religion it is).
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:18:08 pm »

I find them largely irrelevant to one another. Science is about facts. Religion is about truth. Mixing them leads to entirely too much conflation, imo.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:11:18 pm »
Quote from: Juni;140996
I find them largely irrelevant to one another. Science is about facts. Religion is about truth. Mixing them leads to entirely too much conflation, imo.

Indeed.  Science is as much a part of my religion as it is a part of my artwork; one can analyse things that way but the results are kind of useless for the relevant function.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »

The more I learn from science, the more the universe (if there is only one) expands, the greater my respect for spirit/Tao/or whatever it is grows. There is no difference between science and religion for me. Some things are understood by science, some things haven't been tested yet. Just because something can't be explained doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 06:34:12 pm »

I took a whole class on Science and Religion back in undergrad, and was mostly just surprised at how people saw them in conflict. I see them working together, hand in hand at best. At worst, they are not relevant to each other. Science answers the How; Religion answers they Why, kind of thing.

Personally, the more I learn about science, the crazier and weirder things get. I mean, have you read anything about quantum mechanics? Craziness! It really makes the world feel like an even more mysterious place.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:49:26 pm »
Quote from: Juni;140996

I'm somewhere between this view and Freesia's. On the "Juni side," I try to keep religion out of my science; it can lead to really bad "science" (f'ex, creationism). But on the "Freesia side", science is one of the big inspirations for my religion, fueling insights and appreciation. After all, as a nature-base pagan, learning more about the workings of every aspect of the universe around me feeds my paganism.

So science ---> religion, yes; religion ---> science, no. As a general rule.

I talked about just this subject in a blog post:
http://www.cfcooper.net/the-jewel-at-the-heart-of-everything
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »
Quote from: Elaine;141034

Personally, the more I learn about science, the crazier and weirder things get. I mean, have you read anything about quantum mechanics? Craziness! It really makes the world feel like an even more mysterious place.

Ah, quantum mechanics. I try so hard to understand but it just sort of...slips through my fingers?

But it's really cool too...so torn...
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 07:26:32 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;141040
Ah, quantum mechanics. I try so hard to understand but it just sort of...slips through my fingers?

Much like meeting the Buddha on the road, if anyone tells you they understand quantum mechanics (especially if they aren't, you know, actual physicists), kill them.  

Okay, maybe don't kill them.  But don't believe them, either.

I have no idea if magic will eventually be explained/understood by QM or some other scientific discipline.  I tend to find the conflation irrelevant (and insulting to actual scientists), and it tends to sound disturbingly like Creationists blabbing about science they don't understand.

Brina

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 07:30:45 pm »

No role. Religion and the natural sciences deal with different things, and science mostly deals with rather unimportant things. Wittgenstein remarked that if all the questions that trouble physicists were answered today, all those that concern ordinary people would still be unanswered tomorrow. What's the Higgs boson ever done for me?
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »
Quote from: Altair;141038
I'm somewhere between this view and Freesia's. On the "Juni side," I try to keep religion out of my science; it can lead to really bad "science" (f'ex, creationism). But on the "Freesia side", science is one of the big inspirations for my religion, fueling insights and appreciation. After all, as a nature-base pagan, learning more about the workings of every aspect of the universe around me feeds my paganism.

I think there's a fundamental difference between being inspired by science, and utilizing science to attempt to explain and validate religion. And I see the latter far more than I see the former, when the word science is trotted out, so I expect there is some frustration/knee-jerk reaction in there.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »

Indeed! It's a particle! It's a wave! It's ... Super-quantum! :p

Quote from: yewberry;141051

I have no idea if magic will eventually be explained/understood by QM or some other scientific discipline.  I tend to find the conflation irrelevant (and insulting to actual scientists), and it tends to sound disturbingly like Creationists blabbing about science they don't understand.

Brina

It is a pet peeve of mine when someone tries to use quantum mechanics to "explain" magical practices. I've seen examples of this for Kabbalah and Reiki, I'm sure there are more examples out there. Just because QM is counterintuitive and works differently from familiar physics, does not make it related to magic.

Please, don't get me started on misrepresentation of the Observer Effect.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 08:28:47 pm »

I think that is a pretty normal reaction. I feel like I best understand quantum mechanics when I admit that I know absolutely nothing about quantum mechanics. Schrödinger's cat, anyone?

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 08:48:49 pm »
Quote from: Elaine;141075
I think that is a pretty normal reaction. I feel like I best understand quantum mechanics when I admit that I know absolutely nothing about quantum mechanics.

I was reading this book on string theory, right? I started it two years ago but I can't seem to finish it. There's a part of my head that sorta grasps it but then the other parts of my brain are like, "Eff this, it makes not a lick of sense. Go write."

It makes sense and then at the same time, it doesn't at all!

...it's kinda like UPG...:whis:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:49:27 pm by HarpingHawke »

Tags: