Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sacred Geometry  (Read 4273 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sacred Geometry
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 02:03:05 pm »

Does geometry play any other role in your practice?

I must be an outlier, because I make very little use of number symbolism to begin with, and almost none at all of geometry. In Japan, my patroness is associated with a particular geometric symbol that would probably be recognizable to the geekier members of the board (including myself). I saw it long before I knew its association with her.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 08:40:46 am »

Do you own anything that is spiritually significant because of its geometry, and what is its significance? (If your answer is 'a pentacle', please elaborate: I'm sure there's plenty of variation.)

Does geometry play any other role in your practice?

I have been working with iron age images and patterns and recently acquired a copy of the Trelan Barrow Mirror (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Keverne_mirror.JPG ) which I've been using in my own practice over the last few months with some very  interesting results.

The areas of negative space in the design on the back are as important as the patterned areas and the whole mirror area is believed to have been considered so magically hazardous  that the handles are made from a different alloy and always attached separately (source - academic lecture at the Oxfordshire Museum on the Didcot mirror) .

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 06:42:44 pm »
First off, apologies, Sefiru, for dragging your thread off course. I took it upon myself to talk sacred mathematics in general, when you asked specifically to talk not about numbers, but about shapes (which of course are connected to numbers, but still).

Hey, no problem -- my more general idea was to get away from integers, which you definitely did  ;D

These three shapes also play a role in my practice:

<snip>

Reducing them to their absolutes, they represent space (Cosmos), time (Chronos), and thought/the unknown (Logos, a.k.a. Night), respectively.

Nifty! Is there any reasoning as to which concept goes with which symbol?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 06:51:23 pm »
The areas of negative space in the design on the back are as important as the patterned areas and the whole mirror area is believed to have been considered so magically hazardous  that the handles are made from a different alloy and always attached separately (source - academic lecture at the Oxfordshire Museum on the Didcot mirror) .

That's pretty intense! I've seen diagrams of similar mirrors and how the designs are constructed, but I'd never heard about their magical properties.

(Now I'm tempted. It's all done with compasses, I could ...)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 11:01:17 pm »
Is there any reasoning as to which concept goes with which symbol?

Sure. I picked this symbol for Cosmos--

--because it suggests an infinity symbol (though incomplete) and because it looks like an "s" for space (albeit lying on its side), making it easier to remember which god it's for.

This symbol is for Chronos--

--because it's the most symmetrical of the three, and Chronos is all about maintaining the balance of things. Also, the symbol resembles waxing and waning crescent moons, which not only suggests the passage of time, but fits well since Chronos' command of time figures prominently in the moon's myth; and finally, the negative space between the two semicircles, funneling down to a narrow point and then out, always makes me think of an hourglass.

Happily, Chronos' symbol lends itself readily to modification to create these 3 derivative symbols, also incorporated in the metamythos mandala. It's a visual no-brainer what they stand for:

The third symbol goes to Logos (also known as Night)--

--because it looks like an 'M' for mind...and because it's the only one left! It too has a derivative symbol, one of my favorites, because it's so pictorial--

--which is the symbol for Night's faithful companion, his owl Gnomon, who is a proxy for Night's insatiable hunger for knowledge. The symbol looks like the face of an owl.

Finally, since we're talking shapes, I should mention that the circle around the mandala is not a solid line but rather composed of dozens of interlocking double logarithmic spirals. Two intertwining logarithmic spirals (spirals whose proportions are governed by the mathematical constant e) is my symbol for the Song of Diversity that the Great Goddess sings, representing the dynamism of things spinning into and out of being; and since the song turns one into many, the spirals propagate, representing the many things (including us) singing as part of that song, linked to form the circle of the Goddess and a visual representation that the singer and the song are one.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:03:17 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 10:06:07 am »
That's pretty intense! I've seen diagrams of similar mirrors and how the designs are constructed, but I'd never heard about their magical properties.

(Now I'm tempted. It's all done with compasses, I could ...)

Get that compass out!!  The more I learn about iron age patterns the more I'm being sucked in. This is a great book on the subject of the mirrors and the uses thereof  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Age-Mirrors-biographical-approach/dp/1407307037/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510671318&sr=1-3.

I have also been lucky enough to acquire some replica iron age "scying" spoons. Whilst there are quite a lot of studies on the mirrors there is very little known on the spoons or what and how they were used. They all have the same characteristics which is very interesting. I was given some insight into their purpose and how to use them during an ancestral working in a fogou but that is all UPG of course.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:04 pm »
Get that compass out!!  The more I learn about iron age patterns the more I'm being sucked in. This is a great book on the subject of the mirrors and the uses thereof  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Age-Mirrors-biographical-approach/dp/1407307037/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510671318&sr=1-3.

*looks at price tag*  :( I'd better check if the library has that. Why are interesting books always so expensive?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: