Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Religion/Magic in everyday life.  (Read 2180 times)

Escaflowne

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Religion/Magic in everyday life.
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:07:51 pm »
How do you guys fit your practices into everyday life?
Many of us have school or work, and it can be hard to fit our beliefs into our everyday routines.
I was wondering if anyone had any ways that they manage to work a few prayers or a short communion with the gods, or perhaps a small ritual into their busy day?
"He did not look like a man bearing torture now, but like a man who sees that which makes the torture worth bearing."
[ profile picture; http://gabbyd70.deviantart.com/ ]

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Religion/Magic in everyday life.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:13:52 pm »
Quote from: Escaflowne;100718
Many of us have school or work, and it can be hard to fit our beliefs into our everyday routines.
I was wondering if anyone had any ways that they manage to work a few prayers or a short communion with the gods, or perhaps a small ritual into their busy day?

While it's geared more towards a Celtic/Gaelic Recon path, Seren has a section entitled 'Daily Practices' on her Taris site - might be worth checking out

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:34:42 pm »

I wake up 30 - 60 minutes earlier for rituals to Bast and Atum (or at least I try to. Insomnia is not helpful with this.) One hour most nights is set aside for them as well. Sometimes I honor other Netjeru at night, but mornings are always reserved for Bast and whoever else I've been directed to work with at the time.

For most people, I think it's about prioritizing. And by prioritizing, sometimes I mean sacrificing a bit of time you would spend on something else. For example, the evening hour I set aside for the gods used to be TV, game, computer, etc. hour. Doing things for them earlier or later wasn't an option, so I made choices. Same thing with the morning time, except what's being sacrificed in this case is sleep. :-p

Throughout the day, I must confess that I'm too busy to do much in the way of prayer and the like. That's what the hour and a half to two hours on either end of the day is for, though I do write, which is something I've been instructed to do.

Your question makes me think of this quote: "Make everything an offering, and then you will understand." We can live our lives in ways that align with our spirituality. In examining our daily tasks, we may find that the challenges we face in the mundane also reflect our challenges in the spiritual, and that by facing mundane challenges, we provide solutions to the spiritual ones.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:20:32 pm »

A Reminder:
Escaflone,

You have already been asked here to refrain from changing the font in your posts.

In our rules - which you agreed to comply with when you joined - the third point in the section THE "DO" RULES states:
DO write in a "normal writing" style. Capitalize the first word of your sentences. Use proper punctuation. Write in short paragraphs and place a blank line between paragraphs (hit return twice). Please do not WRITE IN ALL CAPITALS, in eLiTe LeTtErS, or in odd fonts and colors. Please do not use "Netspeak" (e.g. R U Wiccan) as our community areas are not a cell phone. See our Message Posting Guidelines for more information.

This is (still) a reminder rather than a warning; however, any further instances of you failing to use the standard default font will result in a formal warning, and subsequent infractions may result in gagging or banning.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff[/modremind]
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

AmberHeart

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 05:52:02 pm »

Habit helps. Doing something every day (except when ill) makes it part of your life. A morning ritual is easier to protect than an evening, I have found. Build it into your morning routinue. Have a basic ritual structure (simple, not fussy) and save the fancier rituals for when you have time. Short. Adaptable. I've had to do mine in the shower occasionally. I've done it daily for years so it is an established habit. It can take anywhere from five minutes to half an hour (if I have the time to chat longer with my Gods).  The core of the ritual is checking in with my Gods, with my energy cycles and quickly visualizing (me moving in positive strength through) that day ahead.

Weaving my beliefs throughout each day is also helped by what I call markers that are part of the ritual above. My  markers are like a note from my Gods. I check my numerological meanings for the month and day plus the # of lunation. For example, in the system that I use, three is Awareness (March) and today the 17th is Centering. As I start my lunar calendar at the Witches New Year, this is now the fifth lunation, five is for Seeking (and the pentacle).  I also quickly draw a card from the goddess deck I use as a daily guardian. This morning, I got Nu Kua, the Goddess of Order. So today I have been trying to stay centered and more aware and be open to learn (seeking) something new...all in the midst of Sunday chores that will put my place in order. One marker also works well, you just integrate the message into your day as best you can and as the day unfolds.

Start simple. Do daily or work up to doing it daily. Be adaptable.

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »
Quote from: Shine;100723
I wake up 30 - 60 minutes earlier for rituals to Bast and Atum (or at least I try to. Insomnia is not helpful with this.) One hour most nights is set aside for them as well. Sometimes I honor other Netjeru at night, but mornings are always reserved for Bast and whoever else I've been directed to work with at the time.

For most people, I think it's about prioritizing. And by prioritizing, sometimes I mean sacrificing a bit of time you would spend on something else. For example, the evening hour I set aside for the gods used to be TV, game, computer, etc. hour. Doing things for them earlier or later wasn't an option, so I made choices. Same thing with the morning time, except what's being sacrificed in this case is sleep. :-p

Throughout the day, I must confess that I'm too busy to do much in the way of prayer and the like. That's what the hour and a half to two hours on either end of the day is for, though I do write, which is something I've been instructed to do.

Your question makes me think of this quote: "Make everything an offering, and then you will understand." We can live our lives in ways that align with our spirituality. In examining our daily tasks, we may find that the challenges we face in the mundane also reflect our challenges in the spiritual, and that by facing mundane challenges, we provide solutions to the spiritual ones.

I do my ritual to Neptune and Diana in the morning as well as night. I then meditate, burn incense, and pray to Isis and Osiris after I've done my Roman morning ritual. Since I'm not working or going to school I can do that. I also get things ahead of time for my Sabbath rituals.

Tags: