collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: religion is not popular  (Read 2935 times)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
religion is not popular
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:01:09 pm »
In the real world, outside of the internet, religion is not a popular subject among most people. People usually see religion as a burden, or something outside of their lifestyle. They typically belong to a religion because they were raised that way, but that's it. Why is that? What is wrong with religion nowadays that puts people off? Should we blame dominant religions? Schooling? The priests? The incompatibility of religion with society? Is their indifference towards religion a good thing? Has religion deteriorate?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: religion is not popular
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:42:27 pm »
In the real world, outside of the internet, religion is not a popular subject among most people. People usually see religion as a burden, or something outside of their lifestyle. They typically belong to a religion because they were raised that way, but that's it. Why is that? What is wrong with religion nowadays that puts people off? Should we blame dominant religions? Schooling? The priests? The incompatibility of religion with society? Is their indifference towards religion a good thing? Has religion deteriorate?

I think this depends a whole lot on where you live and what culture(s) you are immersed in. It is an area where generalising like you are is likely to get you making erroneous assumptions about other people pretty fast.

I live in an area (New England) where talking about your religion with people outside your religious community is mostly not the done thing: there is a fairly strong culture of 'live and let live' around it (not that surprising for an area that started with people fleeing religious restriction, who set up their own set of restrictions when they got here, and then other people showed up and pointed out that was foolish.)

A lot of the local Boston major institutions were founded to be fairly explicitly non-sectarian (I was wandering around Mount Auburn Cemetery this afternoon, in fact), and a lot of them were started by ardent Unitarians, and Unitarian approaches run sort of perpendicular to a lot of modern thoughts about how religion works or what it's for.

That said, there's a lot of conversation *within* religious communities about religion. And certainly some people who like learning about other people's. Just around here, you make sure it's an okay topic before you get into it.

There is also an issue that's sort of like libraries: I am a librarian, I believe libraries are an amazing institution. (So do a lot of other people). But I also know a lot of people have had really really awful experiences with individual librarians, and that that can turn them off a particular library or libraries in general. The same thing happens with religion.

In both cases, people sometimes poke at the actual issues (Was it a specific person? A specific policy? A particular abusive situation? What happens if they go somewhere that doesn't do that? What happens if they have a compelling need that institution can solve?)

But without some motivation, there will be a certain number of people - many of them somewhat vocal about it - who don't do libraries. Or religion. Or whatever other institution we're talking about. Or who do it only minimally, but for whom it is not a significant part of their daily, weekly, or even yearly life.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 05:47:21 pm »
In the real world, outside of the internet, religion is not a popular subject among most people. People usually see religion as a burden, or something outside of their lifestyle. They typically belong to a religion because they were raised that way, but that's it. Why is that?

In parts of the US, at least, people outside of he louder forms of American Christianity are often quiet about their religious beliefs because a) they see them as personal and don't feel the need to tell everyone about them and b) they are turned off by the "shove religious beliefs in your face" practices of the louder forms of American Christianity and don't want to behave like that. Also, many members of the louder forms of American Christianity tend to be uninterested in real discussion of religion with those who believe differently than they do -- mostly seeing such discussions as an open invitation to attempt to convert others to their beliefs at best or as dangerous to their beliefs at worst.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:53:16 pm »
the real world, outside of the internet,

Is a very big place that includes every human culture that ever existed. It is difficult to make any statement that would be true for all of it.

religion is not a popular subject among most people.

Around here, religion is a private thing -- it would be like talking about your favorite brands of underwear, or something.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 02:49:13 am »
In the real world, outside of the internet, religion is not a popular subject among most people. People usually see religion as a burden, or something outside of their lifestyle. They typically belong to a religion because they were raised that way, but that's it. Why is that?

These are some pretty bigass assertions. I'm not sure if we can legitimately get into the wherefores and whithersoevers related to your premises without first establishing these premises as sound.

It's kind of like discussing why New Luke was such a whiner, without establishing he was a whiner in the first place.
(And, working that analogy, I'd personally want to establish that all Skywalker men are whiners, Kylo/Ben included, as a premise from which to argue. So.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:52:01 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:48:51 am »
A lot of the local Boston major institutions were founded to be fairly explicitly non-sectarian (I was wandering around Mount Auburn Cemetery this afternoon, in fact), and a lot of them were started by ardent Unitarians, and Unitarian approaches run sort of perpendicular to a lot of modern thoughts about how religion works or what it's for.

My militant, activist New England Unitarian Universalist church can go weeks without having stuff that's obviously "religion" come up in services.

Its religious content is obvious within-paradigm but I would suspect that, for example, outsiders would be confused by the bit of liturgy that involves the senior minister proclaiming, "Show me what democracy looks like!" and having the congregation bellow back, "This is what democracy looks like!"

(Fifth Principle of the UUA: "The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large".  It's not even hard to point at, just... I suspect many people would be confused.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 12:53:32 pm »
I think this depends a whole lot on where you live and what culture(s) you are immersed in. It is an area where generalising like you are is likely to get you making erroneous assumptions about other people pretty fast.

I live in an area (New England) where talking about your religion with people outside your religious community is mostly not the done thing: there is a fairly strong culture of 'live and let live' around it (not that surprising for an area that started with people fleeing religious restriction, who set up their own set of restrictions when they got here, and then other people showed up and pointed out that was foolish.)

That said, there's a lot of conversation *within* religious communities about religion. And certainly some people who like learning about other people's. Just around here, you make sure it's an okay topic before you get into it.

There is also an issue that's sort of like libraries: I am a librarian, I believe libraries are an amazing institution. (So do a lot of other people). But I also know a lot of people have had really really awful experiences with individual librarians, and that that can turn them off a particular library or libraries in general. The same thing happens with religion.

In both cases, people sometimes poke at the actual issues (Was it a specific person? A specific policy? A particular abusive situation? What happens if they go somewhere that doesn't do that? What happens if they have a compelling need that institution can solve?)

But without some motivation, there will be a certain number of people - many of them somewhat vocal about it - who don't do libraries. Or religion. Or whatever other institution we're talking about. Or who do it only minimally, but for whom it is not a significant part of their daily, weekly, or even yearly life.
Where I live, most people are Christians, and they are Christians in name only. They think less of religion. The only people who accept religion wholeheartedly are few. The worst nightmare of every Greek Christian parent is that their kid would become a monk or a nun.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 01:05:09 pm »
These are some pretty bigass assertions. I'm not sure if we can legitimately get into the wherefores and whithersoevers related to your premises without first establishing these premises as sound.

It's kind of like discussing why New Luke was such a whiner, without establishing he was a whiner in the first place.
(And, working that analogy, I'd personally want to establish that all Skywalker men are whiners, Kylo/Ben included, as a premise from which to argue. So.)
I rephrase. Almost all people I know in my social environment dislike religion, and they don't want to talk about religion at all. It's pretty hard for me to start a religious talk with them. This made me think that most people don't want to talk about religion, I generalised, it seems.

mona lizard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan, worships coincidence
  • Preferred Pronouns: she or he
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 02:40:01 pm »
Where I live, most people are Christians, and they are Christians in name only. They think less of religion. The only people who accept religion wholeheartedly are few. The worst nightmare of every Greek Christian parent is that their kid would become a monk or a nun.

I feel that European feeling! In France, the norm for people under 40 is being an atheist, and not only religion is not talked about, it sounds like a "ridiculous" subject if you mention it. Unless you are one of the very few who was raised to be a priest, if it is the path you decide to take but your parents aren't priest, then no matter the religion, you are a weirdo for wanting to go that path. I'm from an originally muslim family but my parents are atheists, and I think if any or my siblings and cousins decided to be an imam they would be the family outcast!

I'm a film and animation student. Some day I was sitting with a very good friend who I like talking and debating with in class (he doesn't know I'm pagan). The teacher made a religion joke (which was very funny and not offensive) and added "no offense". My friend said TO ME: "He didn't need to say "no offense", it's not like anyone in this school could be religious. You have to be open minded to be an artist, so we're all atheists for sure". This is a direct translated quote from him. And this is the main mindset where I live, it kinda broke my heart. There's a Christian girl in my school who hides to pray before lunch because people have told her before "Cut it out, you're not at your parent's anymore, you don't have to do this! You know religion is a fairytale, right?".

I don't think there is anyone alive to blame. This weird relationship European people have with religion, to me, is probably due to all of the religious wars and bigotry that shaped our countries. In european history class, since you're a kid, you're taught horrible things that happened to people, and it's always because of religion. To go past that first impression, you either have to not care about human lives, or take time to meditate about it all and be philosophic enough to understand the difference between power and belief. Not everyone wants to take that time. I don't think there's really a solution other than seek other spaces than your surroundings to talk about religion. I don't have a single person in my IRL surrounding I can talk about religion with, hey, that's why I'm on this forum!
- 20 year old artist from France, childlike wonder! -

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 05:32:51 pm »
I rephrase. Almost all people I know in my social environment dislike religion, and they don't want to talk about religion at all. It's pretty hard for me to start a religious talk with them. This made me think that most people don't want to talk about religion, I generalised, it seems.

I find that even here in the bible belt people my age (30) or under aren't keen to discuss religion, and when they do it's usually to criticize it or to criticize their own religious upbringing.

Totally understandable given the toxic dominant religious paradigm in these parts.  I think that's part of why I'm so private about religion except on forums or with a select few.

I'm either dealing with very conservative or even fundamentalist Christians with which I have nothing in common or people who are burned and now generalize and reject all religion.

Though my experiences with younger people are only anecdotal I tend to think we are headed for a more secular world in these parts eventually.

I don't like prejudiced attitudes to religion, but if I have to take my pick and since I'm private about religion anyway, I think I'd rather live among secular people than religious militants.

No offence to kindhearted evangelicals and fundamentalists -- there are some.  But I am unfavorably disposed toward much of their worldviews, attitudes, and politics.

I'd advise what I do -- take advantage of the Internet.  Unless you have a special interest group religion can be a sort of heavy topic to launch into over tea with aquaintances anyway.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 05:34:18 pm »
I find that even here in the bible belt people my age (30) or under aren't keen to discuss religion, and when they do it's usually to criticize it or to criticize their own religious upbringing.

Totally understandable given the toxic dominant religious paradigm in these parts.  I think that's part of why I'm so private about religion except on forums or with a select few.

I'm either dealing with very conservative or even fundamentalist Christians with which I have nothing in common or people who are burned and now generalize and reject all religion.

Though my experiences with younger people are only anecdotal I tend to think we are headed for a more secular world in these parts eventually.

I don't like prejudiced attitudes to religion, but if I have to take my pick and since I'm private about religion anyway, I think I'd rather live among secular people than religious militants.

No offence to kindhearted evangelicals and fundamentalists -- there are some.  But I am unfavorably disposed toward much of their worldviews, attitudes, and politics.

I'd advise what I do -- take advantage of the Internet.  Unless you have a special interest group religion can be a sort of heavy topic to launch into over tea with aquaintances anyway.

Edit: should read "acquaintances"
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 08:05:56 am »

I feel that European feeling! In France, the norm for people under 40 is being an atheist, and not only religion is not talked about, it sounds like a "ridiculous" subject if you mention it. Unless you are one of the very few who was raised to be a priest, if it is the path you decide to take but your parents aren't priest, then no matter the religion, you are a weirdo for wanting to go that path. I'm from an originally muslim family but my parents are atheists, and I think if any or my siblings and cousins decided to be an imam they would be the family outcast!

I'm a film and animation student. Some day I was sitting with a very good friend who I like talking and debating with in class (he doesn't know I'm pagan). The teacher made a religion joke (which was very funny and not offensive) and added "no offense". My friend said TO ME: "He didn't need to say "no offense", it's not like anyone in this school could be religious. You have to be open minded to be an artist, so we're all atheists for sure". This is a direct translated quote from him. And this is the main mindset where I live, it kinda broke my heart. There's a Christian girl in my school who hides to pray before lunch because people have told her before "Cut it out, you're not at your parent's anymore, you don't have to do this! You know religion is a fairytale, right?".

I don't think there is anyone alive to blame. This weird relationship European people have with religion, to me, is probably due to all of the religious wars and bigotry that shaped our countries. In european history class, since you're a kid, you're taught horrible things that happened to people, and it's always because of religion. To go past that first impression, you either have to not care about human lives, or take time to meditate about it all and be philosophic enough to understand the difference between power and belief. Not everyone wants to take that time. I don't think there's really a solution other than seek other spaces than your surroundings to talk about religion. I don't have a single person in my IRL surrounding I can talk about religion with, hey, that's why I'm on this forum!
Thank you for the responses. I absolutely agree! That's why I write in religious forums too!

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 02:59:11 pm »

Frankly, I don't agree with your assessment. In my community, religion is thriving, and people convert to new faith traditions all the time. My town has a growing Mormon congregation, a growing Unitarian congregation, and stable Roman Catholic, Pentecostal, and Baptists congregations. There are also quite a few pagans, Buddhists, and new age people in my community.

Most of the people I know, who are religious, weren't born in the faith they follow. Rather, they were "born again" in a different church than the one they were raised in, or they were "witnessed" by local missionaries. Sure, they're all still largely Christina, but they make conscious decisions about what they believe and which denominations they identify with.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 03:05:02 pm »
Also, many members of the louder forms of American Christianity tend to be uninterested in real discussion of religion with those who believe differently than they do -- mostly seeing such discussions as an open invitation to attempt to convert others to their beliefs at best or as dangerous to their beliefs at worst.

I find this interesting because, here in Kentucky, I find it rather easy to talk about religion with people who are from different religions than myself. I've never gotten an angry response from anyone when I ask them about their beliefs, rather they're usually happy to tell me about their beliefs. I have had quite a few serious, deep discussions with Christians about theological topics, and they typically aren't dismissive of my point of view or particularly set on converting me.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 12:31:34 pm »
In parts of the US, at least, people outside of he louder forms of American Christianity are often quiet about their religious beliefs because a) they see them as personal and don't feel the need to tell everyone about them and b) they are turned off by the "shove religious beliefs in your face" practices of the louder forms of American Christianity and don't want to behave like that. Also, many members of the louder forms of American Christianity tend to be uninterested in real discussion of religion with those who believe differently than they do -- mostly seeing such discussions as an open invitation to attempt to convert others to their beliefs at best or as dangerous to their beliefs at worst.

I feel this is very true for me. I don't want someone to feel the need to convert me, and I don't want to convert anyone else. Also, I don't want to even "come out of the broom closet" fully because I don't know if that information could be used in court in the event that custody of my son ever came up. I really don't trust the judges around here to not take my religion into account, unfortunately. Discussing my beliefs publically isn't an option for me in most cases.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Tags: