Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Question about jewelry.  (Read 1447 times)

phylavell

• View Profile
Question about jewelry.
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:47:50 pm »
I didn't know where else to put this so if it's in the wrong place feel free to tell me or move it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of pentagram's that were made of wood,  bone, stone or a metal that was nickle free? I bought one from a shop that said it was nickle free but it really isn't and I have the rash to prove it. They won't take it back or refund me my money so I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions.

I did see a few bone pentagrams in my search but didn't care for how they looked as I like a simple pentagram set in the circle.

Thanks for any and all help.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:51:42 pm by phylavell »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Question about jewelry.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:04:55 pm »
Quote from: phylavell;94772
I didn't know where else to put this so if it's in the wrong place feel free to tell me or move it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of pentagram's that were made of wood,  bone, stone or a metal that was nickle free? I bought one from a shop that said it was nickle free but it really isn't and I have the rash to prove it. They won't take it back or refund me my money so I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions.

One of my starting places for that kind of thing is Etsy - especially if it's a natural material or crafty sort of thing. (A quick search turns up a variety of options: you want to ask carefully about sourcing for anything metal, because Etsy has everything from "bought from a wholesaler, source sorta unclear" to "made it all by hand and can tell you everything about the process."

In terms of price point, in metal, I'd be really suspicious of anything under $20 not having nickel - the price of silver has gone up a lot in the last year.

On a more practical note: sometimes, people with nickel allergies can get away with wearing something they react to by putting a coat of clear nailpolish on the bit that touches the skin. Done carefully, it shouldn't show, but it gives you a non-reactive surface.  (And it's easy to redo if it does flake, though generally mine haven't)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:20:22 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;94779
On a more practical note: sometimes, people with nickel allergies can get away with wearing something they react to by putting a coat of clear nailpolish on the bit that touches the skin. Done carefully, it shouldn't show, but it gives you a non-reactive surface.  (And it's easy to redo if it does flake, though generally mine haven't)

I've had pretty good luck with this. It's not as effective on things like rings, but on a pendant, it should be fine.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:24:16 pm »

I did see a few bone pentagrams in my search but didn't care for how they looked as I like a simple pentagram set in the circle.

Look for sterling silver. It's the only thing I can wear (I get allergic reactions and rashes from razor blades when I used to shave, so you know I'm not kidding), and it's much easier to find than bone or wood jewelry. You'll probably have to pay a bit more, but its worth it.

phylavell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:28:04 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;94779
One of my starting places for that kind of thing is Etsy - especially if it's a natural material or crafty sort of thing. (A quick search turns up a variety of options: you want to ask carefully about sourcing for anything metal, because Etsy has everything from "bought from a wholesaler, source sorta unclear" to "made it all by hand and can tell you everything about the process."

In terms of price point, in metal, I'd be really suspicious of anything under $20 not having nickel - the price of silver has gone up a lot in the last year.

I keep forgetting about etsy for some reason, I'll check there. In the mean time I'm going to put clear nail polish on it but I will find something better for the long run.

Quote from: Laveth;94786
Look for sterling silver. It's the only thing I can wear (I get allergic reactions and rashes from razor blades when I used to shave, so you know I'm not kidding), and it's much easier to find than bone or wood jewelry. You'll probably have to pay a bit more, but its worth it.

I cannot wear sterling silver. I have had several different pieces of it and it's made be break out every time.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 09:58:48 pm »
Quote from: phylavell;94789

I cannot wear sterling silver. I have had several different pieces of it and it's made be break out every time.

My mother couldn't either, nor could she wear any of the 'hypo-allergenic' metals.  When she had her hysterectomy they had to open her up again to replace her surgical staples with dissolving thread stitches.

She finally had to bite the bullet and stick with gold and platinum for jewelry. (And plastic, enamel, bone, wood, and fibre.)  She had to put tape on metal zipper tabs and was very happy when plastic zippers came out.  Luckily, she could sew and simply replaced all her zippers.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:16:32 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;94794
She had to put tape on metal zipper tabs and was very happy when plastic zippers came out.  Luckily, she could sew and simply replaced all her zippers.

Oh my gosh I never thought about being allergic to zippers! What a terrible pain that must have been!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:56:08 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;94887
Oh my gosh I never thought about being allergic to zippers! What a terrible pain that must have been!

My cousins are allergic like this.  The worst for them was the metal 'buttons' on jeans (on the inside is a metal tab).  Their mom sewed a small patch of cloth over the metal bits on the inside to help alleviate it.

As to the original question about pentacles, I would also say etsy, and if you can't find one you like, I have seen tons of vendors who do custom pieces, so maybe look for a vendor who's quality you like, and contact them and see about having them do a custom piece for you.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Aelyria

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:58 pm »

I would suggest looking for one in Niobium.  its completely non reactive metal and comes in some astounding colors and color combinations.  I use it with all of my designs for peopel with any metal sensitivity at all
Once He\'s in He owns Your Heart
My Blog

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 02:42:23 pm »
Quote from: Aelyria;95472
I would suggest looking for one in Niobium.  its completely non reactive metal and comes in some astounding colors and color combinations.  I use it with all of my designs for peopel with any metal sensitivity at all

I haven't worked with Niobium. How difficult is it to work with? Is it suitable for home casting?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Aelyria

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:38:21 pm »
Quote from: Jack;95509
I haven't worked with Niobium. How difficult is it to work with? Is it suitable for home casting?

you can't solder it but wire work is gorgeous with it
Once He\'s in He owns Your Heart
My Blog

Tags: