Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Organizing Your Paraphernalia.  (Read 4738 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Organizing Your Paraphernalia.
« on: August 14, 2011, 03:37:36 pm »
We all have items that we use (regularly or otherwise) that need organization. Herbs, crystals, gemstones, etc. I was just wondering how you organize all of these items?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
Re: Organizing Your Paraphernalia.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 04:07:37 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;12852
I was just wondering how you organize all of these items?

Organization? What's that? o.o

:ashamed: Beyond labeling jars and slipping little tags in with rocks, I don't organize a whole lot. I'd love some apothecary dressers, though. Really, I'd just love a bigger house so I can get the kind of furniture I've always drooled over. And be able to put all my woo-woo books up on proper shelves instead of stacked in a closet :cry:
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:50:30 pm »
We all have items that we use (regularly or otherwise) that need organization. Herbs, crystals, gemstones, etc. I was just wondering how you organize all of these items?

I was lucky enough to inherit some herb vials, and I don't know what I would do without them! I have all my stones in a little box given to me by a mentor, and candles in a box as well. Everything is set in order in this shelf, it's got all these little squares in it, I don't know what its called. And I also have a chest my fiancee just got me, I keep altar cloths, my athame, and other tools in there. I'm just glad I don't have to hide my altar and stuff- its the first thing you see when you pass the doorway!
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 04:18:15 am »

My main altar is set up on top of a mid-height Ikea bookcase, and all of my things are on the shelves of the bookcase - two shelves for books, two shelves for herbs, and two shelves for other things.

Right now the herbs are in plastic bags (labeled), which I keep in a cardboard box (shelf one) and a small clasped trunk that I bought at a home design-type store (box two). In the future I really want to get them into glass bottles, but that can wait until I have a bit of spending money.

Everything else I keep in two woven baskets - tarot and oracle cards, taper candles, various spell components, stick incense, charcoal, extra sand, altar components I'm not currently using, stones, and other bits and bobs.

The only things I regularly use that aren't kept on the shelf are my essential oils (no room, and I use them for other purposes more often anyway) and tea lights (likewise, I go through at least two a day).
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

GreentreeTarot

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »

I've actually been thinking about moving some stuff around lately.  Right now, I have a dedicated seasonal shrine/altar, and also a dedicated lunar shrine/altar, but I'd like to work on blending them together.  I have way more paraphernalia lying around then I do clothes, so I've thought about absconding my dresser for this purpose, but I'm not quite sure yet.  A lot of my stuff is currently being kept in chests, two below my altar in my room and one full of divination supplies out in the living room.

faefawn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dear-sweetlings.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:32:02 am »

I've got this little shelf in my room, I think it originally started as a CD shelf or something. It has about 5 little cubby hole boxes and then a shelf on top so I often keep different things in different compartments there such as material in one box, incense and candles in the next, oils in another, sentimental knicknacks in another. The shelf on top has my main altar on it.
I keep gemstones in little glass vials in my work room, herbs just stay in the kitchen :)

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:36 pm »

My boyfriend and I live in our own apartment, but we have frequent drop ins from family members who do not know and probably would not be okay with my practices, therefore, I keep all of my tools and books in pretty fabric boxes that sit on my bookshelf. I have a box for each category: candles, books, stones, etc. They look more like decorative pieces that way, and I trust that no one is going to go through my boxes without my permission. My herbs are in little baggies though, and I keep those in my seasoning cabinet.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Kara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:11:47 pm »

Well it all used to be in a small wood box under my altar table (which was really an itty bitty side table) and as my collection of stuff grew, it got stacked on top of the box.

Then I adopted a kitten.

I quickly realised that I would not be able to have my things just lying around where they could easily be mauled/stolen/digested.

So I went out and bought an inexpensive, four shelve, wardrobe at IKEA that had glass doors.

The top two shelves are altar spaces, but the third and fourth house my stuff. The third holds my spiritually relevant books, and the forth holds stuff that I use on an irregular basis but like to have easy access to, like gemstones, divination tools, particular candles, tea lights etc.  The bottom drawer holds a shoebox full of assorted candles, incense, altar cloths, assorted spiritual objects, and seasonal decorations.

It actually works pretty well in my little bachelor appartment. Though my cat is very sad she can no longer try to snack on my rune pouch. :)

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://fromthephoenixflames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:38:36 pm »

I currently have a small tray table, with a larger piece of wood on top to give me more space. I then have a curtain for a table cloth! Underneath, I have two cardboard boxes, one is full of all my books and the other has all my tools and supplies. They just barely fit  under the table and there is room for nothing else! But it's out of site underneath the table cloth.

VERY soon.. I'm going to move my son's changing table out of his room, which is actually a buffet, and turn that into my alter. It is a solid cabinet looking thing that is about waist high. Perfect for an alter on the top and storage on the bottom. It has two small draws at the top, one on each side, and then four doors underneath that that open up on the bottom. I wish there were shelves in there because it's really tall, but I can figure something out. And there is more than enough room to hold all my stuff in there, with plenty of room to grow!
Blessed be,
SkylarB  
My Wiccan Blog - From The Phoenix Flames

Livia Indica

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 02:19:08 am »

I have an altar that some kind of old, handmade tool box that I store plenty of things in. I also use an old Sassaby makeup box for a lot of smaller stones, bottles and mojo bags. It's like my magic toolbox.  I also have lots of various things up on bookshelves within easy reach. And I have various magical witchy books all over the place, just depends on what I'm reading at any particular time. I'm in transition right now as my current altar just doesn't work for me, it's too low to the ground and I'm having trouble working out a better situation so I've kinda got things here and there while I work it out. I hope to get better organized.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:36 am »

I have two plastic drawer sets that I keep my items in.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Stone Temple Roses

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://blondwitch.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 01:08:15 am »

Like SatAset I have a clear plastic organizing cabnet that you can get at wallyworld for like $10, it's about three feet tall and I've made sub catagories in it with stiff scrapbook paper to keep things a bit more organized. I'm thinking about getting a smaller one for gemstones and sorting them in drawers by name.

He didn\'t have a word for "home" but he knew it was something to be protected at all costs.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:33 pm »
Quote from: Stone Temple Roses;22969
Like SatAset I have a clear plastic organizing cabnet that you can get at wallyworld for like $10, it's about three feet tall and I've made sub catagories in it with stiff scrapbook paper to keep things a bit more organized. I'm thinking about getting a smaller one for gemstones and sorting them in drawers by name.

I was thinking about getting one for all of the crystals I've got lying about. They really need to be organized better. ATM, they're thrown pell mell into a large box.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 05:46:59 pm »

I have a large set of the plastic drawers that are labeled and the drawers are in my closet so they are out of the reach o f my kids. my books are in a drawer in my dresser along with my empty jars.

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 11:46:05 pm »

Candels go in one of the drawers on the front of the coffee table that became my altar. Herbs and spices stay in the kitchen since I use them to cook as well and only enchant or bless the specific portion to be used immediately, incense is kept in the same drawer with the candles, as are the matches, the other drawer holds fabric for sachets, sewing materials, and ribbons, I have a wood cigar box that my dad gave me a few years ago after he had smoked the last one underneath that holds my tarot cards.

Tags: