Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Not an advertisement, seeking opinions.  (Read 2927 times)

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Witchcraft/spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Not an advertisement, seeking opinions.
« on: November 18, 2017, 09:01:14 pm »
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I wasn't sure where to post this one, but please don't take this as an advertisement? I need opinions on new and fresh stuff to sell in my online coven store when it opens. I know everything we'll have so far. But what would you all like to see? Most items are handmade, so everything has to be great quality before I decide to put it up. I just don't want to be like everyone else who does something like this, so your opinions would be greatly appreciated! Let me know!
"Live life to the fullest, because only surviving isn't living at all. "

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Not an advertisement, seeking opinions.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:59:06 am »
What I've found difficult to get was deity statues/figurines I like. Often every store has the same ones I don't like. Then I search the internet and order something from abroad, which gets delivered while I'm not at home. I'd love to have a shop with a few statues/figurines plus a catalogue so the shop could order something for me and I just need to pick it up. This would be particular interesting if you have artists or suppliers nearby you could cooperate with...

I don't know how this is in the US, but in the EU the different postal services don't cooperate well so it's a pain in the ass to order stuff from abroad when you're not at home on workdays when it gets delivered. I have to individually figure out with each order if they cooperate with the automatic postal station or if the deliver to a shop nearby etc...

[fixing quote nesting problem at its root, to prevent further nesting problems - Sunflower]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:02:41 pm by SunflowerP »

mona lizard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan, worships coincidence
  • Preferred Pronouns: she or he
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 08:40:02 am »
I know everything we'll have so far. But what would you all like to see?

What kind of homemade goods do you intend to sell so far?

If you want to do something a little different I think surprise packets with things people of any faith can use like stones, pendulums, plants, altar mats... Could be interesting. I've seen a few surprise metaphysical subscription boxes but a subscription is a big commitment, while you could get the same feeling of anticipation and pleasant surprise from knowing you'll get a surprise herb or stone with your regular order from the store. But maybe that's just my love of everything "surprise" "random" or "unexpected" talking!
- 20 year old artist from France, childlike wonder! -

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:41:02 am »
What I've found difficult to get was deity statues/figurines I like. Often every store has the same ones I don't like. Then I search the internet and order something from abroad, which gets delivered while I'm not at home. I'd love to have a shop with a few statues/figurines plus a catalogue so the shop could order something for me and I just need to pick it up. This would be particular interesting if you have artists or suppliers nearby you could cooperate with...

I don't know how this is in the US, but in the EU the different postal services don't cooperate well so it's a pain in the ass to order stuff from abroad when you're not at home on workdays when it gets delivered. I have to individually figure out with each order if they cooperate with the automatic postal station or if the deliver to a shop nearby etc...
Here, it's not much of an issue with shipping except some people get grabby but that's a rare occasion most times. As for the statues, we'll definitely do our best to please!

(Last edited by Morag to fix quote nesting problem.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:41:51 pm by Morag »

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:50:51 am »
What kind of homemade goods do you intend to sell so far?

If you want to do something a little different I think surprise packets with things people of any faith can use like stones, pendulums, plants, altar mats... Could be interesting. I've seen a few surprise metaphysical subscription boxes but a subscription is a big commitment, while you could get the same feeling of anticipation and pleasant surprise from knowing you'll get a surprise herb or stone with your regular order from the store. But maybe that's just my love of everything "surprise" "random" or "unexpected" talking!
We actually are doing mystery boxes and grab bags where everything is a surprise. So far we are doing handmade clay cauldrons for incense burning, God and Goddess statues, ground up herbs, crystal boxes, spell kits, blankets, woodland spirit boards, tarot bags, seasonal surprise boxes, jewelry, home decor, clothing, really anything we can do that's been thought of. Homemade sculpted chalices,  runes, altar tiles, and sculpted bowls.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 09:22:43 am »
Here, it's not much of an issue with shipping except some people get grabby but that's a rare occasion most times.

Not to put words in your mouth, Ms. A., but I think that Waldhexe might appreciate a little amplification about what I believe you were trying to say: Here in the U. S., we generally don't have much of a problem with deliveries whether domestic or from overseas. The biggest problem is items which are left on the front porch when no one is home that then "disappear." I know this occasionally happens, but I've never yet had to report one of my own packages "lost after delivery"...and I really don't live in the best of neighborhoods. (It's far from being the worst, of course, but....)

For high-value items, whether through the US Postal Service or one of the private package delivery companies (UPS, FedEx, etc.) the shipper can specify, "Signature required upon delivery." In that case, the item will not be left at the door unattended; a signature must be obtained from a responsible adult party when the shipment is delivered. If you're not home this can be a neighbor, and the delivery ticket will be so noted as to who actually signed. The USPS offers "Return Receipt" service for domestic shipments, whether of packages or ordinary mail, where a self-addressed postcard is affixed to the item and, upon delivery, the recipient is required to sign the postcard which is then mailed directly back to you, the sender. I'm not sure off the top of my head if a similar service is offered internationally.

There is also "Registered Mail", which I've used a couple of times, in which the package is verified sealed, marked to make tampering with any opening evident, and then is tracked with the name and signature of every single person who handles it from origin to delivery. This service is also available internationally to many destinations, I believe. While you should never send cash or cash equivalent through the mails, if I just had to send a high-value negotiable item such as currency, a bearer bond, or jewelry using a postal or shipping service, I would choose Registered Mail every time.

If you are not home when a Signature Required or similar item arrives, the general practice here is for the mail carrier to leave a slip notifying you of the attempted delivery and then to return the item to the local post office, from which you may pick it up any time during operating hours. They will hold it a couple of weeks before declaring delivery unsuccessful and following the shipper's return or disposal instructions. Before they send it back or get rid of it they will send you a followup reminder notice. You can also ask them to redeliver on a date that you will be at home...not during a specific time window, unfortunately, but if you can take off work on, say, Saturday you can ask them to bring it by then. UPS and FedEx have similar policies, although they will normally attempt delivery on three successive days before sending the item back to the nearest local office for a week or so. UPS and FedEx do not deliver on Saturdays unless special arrangements are made and paid for, but the USPS does.

Items which are "lost after delivery" are a vexing problem with shippers large and small. Amazon is lately pushing an "in-home delivery" where you give their driver a key code or similar to your home and they then walk in, drop the package in your living room, and leave. I'm sure that no one has any problems giving a 3rd party contract service unattended access to their home, do they...? If packages "disappear" from a neighborhood or address too frequently, the mail carrier or UPS/FedEx driver will probably stop making unattended deliveries there. But, as I've said, the problem has yet to personally touch me...and my neighborhood ain't all that great.

The US Postal Service gets a lot of badmouthing, but in my own experience they do a pretty good job overall...and you can't really complain about their rates. Forty-nine cents to send a 1-ounce (28 gram) physical letter from New York to San Francisco...and it generally gets there in two days? (Or, more to the point, Madawaska, Maine to San Ysidro, California? Maybe an extra day en route, but, still....) Hard to beat.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:12:31 am »
That's not that much different from how the things are here. Only that they will deliver it to your neighbour because they need the signature. They are supposed to leave a notification in your post box so you know which neighbour has the package, but they often "forget" that and I live in a three story apartment building with more apartment buildings left and right. So it's quite a nuicance to ring on every door in the neighbourhood looking for your package. ;)

There's this automatic postal box from dhl which I love, it's next to the subway station, so it's very practical for me, I just pick stuff up on my way home - but not everyone uses dhl, we also have hermes, ups and other postal services and it gets even more complicated when you order from abroad because if the postal service doesn't have a cooperation with dhl they just send it back.

(That happened once with a figurine I had ordered from Greece, so it got shipped across Europe from Greece to Germany then back to Greece...then I had to chat with the guy from Greece...it was hard to figure out what went wrong, he gave me a link to the Greek postal service, but everything was in Greek with Greek letters...we didn't figure out what went wrong until he send me a foto of the retoure delivery notification and I showed it to the guy in the post office...then it got send to Germany again to my house adress...ack).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:03:14 pm by SunflowerP »

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:24:05 pm »
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I wasn't sure where to post this one, but please don't take this as an advertisement? I need opinions on new and fresh stuff to sell in my online coven store when it opens. I know everything we'll have so far. But what would you all like to see? Most items are handmade, so everything has to be great quality before I decide to put it up. I just don't want to be like everyone else who does something like this, so your opinions would be greatly appreciated! Let me know!

Honestly, at this point I know I'm never going to see anything new in an online store, so for me it becomes more of a question of quality and personal taste. Like, I can get a spirit board on pretty much any pagan webstore, but I elected to go with Fiendies because the boards are real wood and look cool as hell.

I'm a lazy bitch so preloaded candles are something I have definitely bought a lot of in the past. For those, I will shell out the money if there's information on the maker that convinces me that they know what they're doing, and if they look nice. I don't want fugly candles that look like I could have made them myself. (That actually goes for most handmade items - if it looks like I could have made it just as well, then what's the point?)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 01:33:59 pm »

This this this. Deity figures are nearly impossible to find. I really want a few, but I dislike most of what I see, and it's frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Last edited by Morag to fix quote nesting problem.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:02:53 pm by Morag »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:12:01 pm »

Hi, Waldhexe,

Just so you know: while we no longer have the problem of quotes vanishing when the opening and closing quote codes are on the same line (that was a vB bug), SMF has its own quirks about that, so if you're deleting all quoted text, you still need to put the opening and closing quote codes on different lines (or put something else between them, like '....' or '<snip>' or 'text deleted', or whatever suits you).

This isn't a warning, or even a formal 'blue box' reminder, just a heads-up about a known quirk in the forum software.

Thanks,
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 10:05:05 am »
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize. Is I correct now?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 12:45:33 pm »
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize. Is I correct now?

Yep!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 06:16:37 pm »

What type of goods do you make/have made? Ceramic goods? Or do you make metal tools/implements/jewellery?

Also, what is your vision for this store? Do you intend to sell to a general 'Pagan' audience, or do you want to appeal to a specific subset of customers?

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 05:13:49 pm »
Honestly, at this point I know I'm never going to see anything new in an online store, so for me it becomes more of a question of quality and personal taste. Like, I can get a spirit board on pretty much any pagan webstore, but I elected to go with Fiendies because the boards are real wood and look cool as hell.

Pretty much the same here - I find I'm getting more and more pared down when it comes to "stuff" and what "stuff" I need I will usually make myself unless it's outside my skill set. Very little comes from pagan themed shops though as I don't buy mass produced. Mostly I buy resins for incense now and that is about it.

Tags: