collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 25 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: Positive Generation by sevensons
[Today at 05:17:18 am]


Re: Positive Generation by EclecticWheel
[Yesterday at 11:28:46 pm]


Re: Positive Generation by Kura
[Yesterday at 10:41:11 pm]


Re: Positive Generation by Kura
[Yesterday at 10:27:03 pm]


Re: Hello everyone by anubisa
[Yesterday at 10:10:45 pm]

Author Topic: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick  (Read 7603 times)

Jujulinda

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 94
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 03:47:35 pm »
Quote from: Tenae;102683
Somewhat. I don't know all that much about it but my mother's been into homeopathic remedies for many years so I've always found it interesting. Do you work with it?

Yes, actually. I do extensive research before I actually try a remedy. I was just shooting in the dark. I don't find many people interested in it.

milkeyedmender

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Location: alabama
  • Posts: 120
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:33 pm »
Quote from: Jujulinda;102850
Yes, actually. I do extensive research before I actually try a remedy. I was just shooting in the dark. I don't find many people interested in it.

 
I am very interested in this.  I worked in natural foods and holistic remedies for 7 years and I would love to bounce around ideas.

I'm about to plant some comfrey and I already have lavender in a pot.

Jujulinda

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 94
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:43 am »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;103536
I am very interested in this.  I worked in natural foods and holistic remedies for 7 years and I would love to bounce around ideas.

I'm about to plant some comfrey and I already have lavender in a pot.

PM me if you could. My phone isn't letting me do it. I would LOVE to bounce around ideas.  :-)

Tenae

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 19
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.witchofhowlingcreek.wordpress.com
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 12:17:28 am »
Quote from: Tenae;102128
Hello everyone - I'm new around here! I mentioned in my introduction post that I am a kitchen/cottage witch and it sparked another member, Olie, to ask me to post some related recipes, etc.

 
I just put up a new post with some kitchen and cottage witch FAQs on my blog so I thought I'd share it here, in case there is anyone interested in what the practice entails!

Kitchen & Cottage Witch FAQs

Rainbo

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 17
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 02:12:04 pm »
Quote from: Tenae;104072
I just put up a new post with some kitchen and cottage witch FAQs on my blog so I thought I'd share it here, in case there is anyone interested in what the practice entails!

Kitchen & Cottage Witch FAQs

 
Love the FAQ! My fiancé is a bit of a kitchen wizard. He loves cooking and uses it often to enhance his spells. I've used it a couple of times, but I'm better at baking (breads, pastries, cookies, desserts, etc.) than cooking, and most of my stuff is just a generic, you know, added blessing and health unto my guests, sort of thing.

I'm new however to the concept of truly labeling and putting words to these things. If I may ask, are the ingredients important to most kitchen-witches, or is it more the intention being focused through them? All I know is I tend to be pretty flexible so far with ingredients, sort of classifying them into certain groups but not really narrowing them down any further.

Tenae

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 19
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.witchofhowlingcreek.wordpress.com
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 12:26:05 am »
Quote from: Rainbo;104137
Love the FAQ! My fiancé is a bit of a kitchen wizard. He loves cooking and uses it often to enhance his spells. I've used it a couple of times, but I'm better at baking (breads, pastries, cookies, desserts, etc.) than cooking, and most of my stuff is just a generic, you know, added blessing and health unto my guests, sort of thing.

I'm new however to the concept of truly labeling and putting words to these things. If I may ask, are the ingredients important to most kitchen-witches, or is it more the intention being focused through them? All I know is I tend to be pretty flexible so far with ingredients, sort of classifying them into certain groups but not really narrowing them down any further.

 
Thanks! You know, like much of the FAQ, ingredients vs intent is really individual to each person. But personally I tend to use kind of a combination of the two. If I'm putting together a menu for a holiday, for example, I'm more likely to use intent in terms of, like you said, good health and whatnot. But if I'm going for something more specific, like say, cookies for confidence, I'm probably going to use ingredients with specific correspondences.

Rainbo

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 17
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 12:32:14 am »
Quote from: Tenae;104190
Thanks! You know, like much of the FAQ, ingredients vs intent is really individual to each person. But personally I tend to use kind of a combination of the two. If I'm putting together a menu for a holiday, for example, I'm more likely to use intent in terms of, like you said, good health and whatnot. But if I'm going for something more specific, like say, cookies for confidence, I'm probably going to use ingredients with specific correspondences.

 
Makes sense. Hubby tends to get far more focused on details for the more important cooking spells too - what he jokingly calls his "alchemy". He's much better at it than I am! Thanks for the insight.

Violet Skies

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jan 2013
  • Posts: 46
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 08:11:08 am »
Quote from: Tenae;104072
I just put up a new post with some kitchen and cottage witch FAQs on my blog so I thought I'd share it here, in case there is anyone interested in what the practice entails!

Kitchen & Cottage Witch FAQs

 
This is a great post!  I`ve recently been getting really interested in kitchen/cottage witchery.  So far, I much prefer it to traditional ceremonial magick.  Ceremonial magick certainly has its place, but it tends to get so overly complicated. >.<

Also, glad to see someone else is using Word Press instead of Blog Spot. ;)

Tenae

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 19
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.witchofhowlingcreek.wordpress.com
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »
Quote from: Violet Skies;104276
This is a great post!  I`ve recently been getting really interested in kitchen/cottage witchery.  So far, I much prefer it to traditional ceremonial magick.  Ceremonial magick certainly has its place, but it tends to get so overly complicated. >.<

Also, glad to see someone else is using Word Press instead of Blog Spot. ;)

 
I agree. There are lots of people that really relate to the ceremony of traditional witchcraft or Wicca but it's never connected for me. That's why I love kitchen magick so much - it's an extension of things I already do.

Love Wordpress! :)

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 07:57:39 pm »
Quote from: Tenae;102128
Hello everyone - I'm new around here! I mentioned in my introduction post that I am a kitchen/cottage witch and it sparked another member, Olie, to ask me to post some related recipes, etc. I wasn't exactly sure where to do that but seeing as so much of kitchen witchery is related to the everyday, I thought this board might be appropriate (if there's a better place, let me know!)

While refraining from copying and pasting my entire Book of Shadows into a post... here are a few things I've added in recently:

Leftover Eggshell Garden Fertilizer: Rinse and pat dry eggshells and leave on a clean baking sheet in a warm, dry place. Once dry, crush eggshells with a mortar and pestle or with a kitchen mallet and a paper towel. Sprinkle around roses, potted plants and vegetables or mix into soil.

Hot Cross Buns: I'm not sure it's entirely clear whether or not hot cross buns actually predate Christianity or whether the cross on top has been reinterpreted by modern pagans but from a pagan perspective, the cross can represent the balance of day and night at the equinox. Personally, they're just really tasty! My recipe was adapted from Epicurious.com and Joy of Cooking.

1 cup warm milk (105°–115°F.)
two 1/4-ounce packages (5 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 sticks (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2/3 cup raisins
Zest of one lemon, finely grated
Zest of half an orange, finely grated
3 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup ice water

In a small bowl stir together milk, yeast, and 1 teaspoon granulated sugar. Let mixture stand 5 minutes, or until foamy.

Into a large bowl sift together flour, allspice, cinnamon, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Cut butter into bits and with your fingertips or a pastry blender blend into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal. Lightly beat 1 whole egg with egg yolk. Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in yeast and egg mixtures, raisins, and zests. Stir mixture until a dough is formed. Transfer dough to a floured surface and with floured hands knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Transfer dough to an oiled large bowl and turn to coat. Let dough rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.

Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

On a floured surface with floured hands knead dough briefly and form into two 12-inch-long logs. Cut each log crosswise into 12 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball and arrange about 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets. Let buns rise, covered, in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400°F.

While buns are rising, lightly beat remaining egg with superfine sugar to make an egg glaze. Mix remaining flour, sugar and salt until combined. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender. Slowly sprinkle in ice water until a smooth dough is formed. On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll out pastry dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Slice into strips.

Brush buns with egg glaze and arrange 2 pastry strips over center of each bun to form a cross (dab a bit of egg glaze between strips so they stick together. Brush strips with egg glaze.   Bake buns in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer buns to a rack to cool slightly.

Spell to Open Your Heart to Love:
Bake a batch of chocolate cookies, stirring in organic dried rose petals and freeze-dried raspberries.
Light a white candle and meditate, focusing on opening your heart to love and attracting a healthy, fulfilling relationship into your life.
Drink a glass of red wine with at least one of the cookies.

I think one of the things I love about kitchen/cottage witchery is just the simplicity - if you understand magickal correspondences and your oven temperature, you're pretty much golden. :) Are there any other kitchen witches on here? I'd love to chat!

 
I've been a Kitchen witch for about four months, nearly five. I honor the Norse Goddess Freya as well as the god Odin. I still have tons to learn but it's been great. I like following what the Norse women did back when the Norse practiced Paganism, and since women mostly stayed at home, back then, this path sounded perfect. I don't follow the wider Heathen community and don't join any groups.

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »
Quote from: Rainbo;104137
Love the FAQ! My fiancé is a bit of a kitchen wizard. He loves cooking and uses it often to enhance his spells. I've used it a couple of times, but I'm better at baking (breads, pastries, cookies, desserts, etc.) than cooking, and most of my stuff is just a generic, you know, added blessing and health unto my guests, sort of thing.

I'm new however to the concept of truly labeling and putting words to these things. If I may ask, are the ingredients important to most kitchen-witches, or is it more the intention being focused through them? All I know is I tend to be pretty flexible so far with ingredients, sort of classifying them into certain groups but not really narrowing them down any further.

 
I'm addicted to those little recipes that are on the back packages of things like flour and shortening. I like to modify them when I feel that the one they have isn't working. My brother is a Chef and he really helps me out. I made Super Easy bread today, which only comes out when we have hardly no food. I put intent into each ingredient and then mix it together. Just love doing low magic and it's so low that my mother can't tell what I'm doing.

She's very anti-witch.

Tenae

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 19
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.witchofhowlingcreek.wordpress.com
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;107170
I'm addicted to those little recipes that are on the back packages of things like flour and shortening. I like to modify them when I feel that the one they have isn't working. My brother is a Chef and he really helps me out. I made Super Easy bread today, which only comes out when we have hardly no food. I put intent into each ingredient and then mix it together. Just love doing low magic and it's so low that my mother can't tell what I'm doing.

She's very anti-witch.

 
I'm sorry to hear that your mother isn't a fan of your practicing witchcraft. That is one of the nice things about being a kitchen witch though - it can be very inconspicuous! Honestly, even if the people around you are aware of your practice, I enjoy the inconspicuous nature of kitchen/cottage witchery just because it feels more natural to me. I feel like I'm just living my life, going about my day!

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 08:06:03 pm »
Quote from: Tenae;107271
I'm sorry to hear that your mother isn't a fan of your practicing witchcraft. That is one of the nice things about being a kitchen witch though - it can be very inconspicuous! Honestly, even if the people around you are aware of your practice, I enjoy the inconspicuous nature of kitchen/cottage witchery just because it feels more natural to me. I feel like I'm just living my life, going about my day!

I know what you mean. This path is so rewarding and fulfilling. I spent the day, today, just setting on the porch with a tall glass of lemonade. I drank it, thanking the goddess and the god for being with me. No ritual needed, just thanks. When I was practicing Wicca, it was all about the spells. I actually watched a video and this woman said that if you don't do spells every day then your not Wiccan.

I commented that spells don't make the world go around, but the god and goddess. She didn't like that comment. Thanks for your comment.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:06:46 pm by FollowerofOdin »

Tamina

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2011
  • Location: Eastern Connecticut
  • Posts: 181
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »
Quote from: Tenae;102128
I think one of the things I love about kitchen/cottage witchery is just the simplicity - if you understand magickal correspondences and your oven temperature, you're pretty much golden. :) Are there any other kitchen witches on here? I'd love to chat!

I've recently become very interested in Kitchen/Cottage/Hearth Witchery! I was actually talking to a friend of mine and we've both done some research, but I was wondering what your take on the many different names mean?

I've come to the consensus that it's pretty much personal choice. I like the idea of Hearth Witch because the Kitchen is the new Hearth and I'm kinda old fashioned. :P

I aso love that you've mentioned your Book of Shadows. I'm trying to put my own together, but I'm afraid of my sense of perfection.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:19:29 pm by Tamina »

Tamina

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2011
  • Location: Eastern Connecticut
  • Posts: 181
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen/Cottage Witch Magick
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
Quote from: Tenae;102595
Those correspondences can really be a killer though, it's so true!


I'm terrible at memorization and prefer to keep them handy in one area that I can consult as needed. After I use them for a while, I come to realize that I've memorized some eventually. For me it's like listening to a song I like and eventually learning the lyrics!

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
3798 Views
Last post July 06, 2011, 02:24:50 pm
by RandallS
13 Replies
10996 Views
Last post September 13, 2015, 08:14:04 am
by Allaya
1 Replies
1111 Views
Last post August 30, 2013, 10:26:12 am
by Kylara
0 Replies
1703 Views
Last post June 29, 2015, 11:55:28 am
by RandallS
5 Replies
1439 Views
Last post September 03, 2015, 11:11:43 am
by theharmoniouscrow

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal