Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Have you heard of Spiral Scouts?  (Read 1578 times)

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Have you heard of Spiral Scouts?
« on: November 20, 2013, 03:45:35 am »
Any of y'all heard of Spiral Scouts? It's essentially a pagan scouting program for kids! You can find a chapter near you on their website. It seems like the one in my city is inactive, but I'd be interested in finding people who'd wanna restart it!

From the Spiral Scouts website:
   SpiralScouts thrives on child-directed activities based on a globally-oriented philosophy of religious tolerance and interfaith cooperation, personal responsibility, and ecological education and conservation, in order to help our children learn to grow into strong, competent members of society and citizens of the world. In order to foster these skills, we believe that the children should make as many of the decisions as possible when it comes to the activities they do and how SpiralScouts works for them. Adult leaders should facilitate this process, not dictate it.

and

While SpiralScouts was developed based on Pagan beliefs and practices, it is designed to be adaptable to work with any faith (or to be completely secular) as well. In addition to traditional woodland lore, camping, and outdoor living skills, the program includes teaching the many mythologies of the ancient world. It also includes learning and discussing life strategies and skills for teens, to help them learn early how to have good relationships with their peers and adults, and interpersonal skills that will serve them throughout their adult lives.

Sounds great to me. What do y'all think? And have you heard of it before? Of any similar pagan youth organizations?

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Have you heard of Spiral Scouts?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:16:42 am »
Quote from: Bear-craft;130021
Any of y'all heard of Spiral Scouts? It's essentially a pagan scouting program for kids! You can find a chapter near you on their website. It seems like the one in my city is inactive, but I'd be interested in finding people who'd wanna restart it!

From the Spiral Scouts website:
   SpiralScouts thrives on child-directed activities based on a globally-oriented philosophy of religious tolerance and interfaith cooperation, personal responsibility, and ecological education and conservation, in order to help our children learn to grow into strong, competent members of society and citizens of the world. In order to foster these skills, we believe that the children should make as many of the decisions as possible when it comes to the activities they do and how SpiralScouts works for them. Adult leaders should facilitate this process, not dictate it.

and

While SpiralScouts was developed based on Pagan beliefs and practices, it is designed to be adaptable to work with any faith (or to be completely secular) as well. In addition to traditional woodland lore, camping, and outdoor living skills, the program includes teaching the many mythologies of the ancient world. It also includes learning and discussing life strategies and skills for teens, to help them learn early how to have good relationships with their peers and adults, and interpersonal skills that will serve them throughout their adult lives.

Sounds great to me. What do y'all think? And have you heard of it before? Of any similar pagan youth organizations?

I've been involved with it, my children are too old.  The main disadvantage to it is size..  And it is still evolving, as in I know two of the most active national staff members personally, who have been responsible for the website and a good amount of the badge changes that have been done recently (and those changes were for the BETTER). My last two were in one of the oldest circles.  But then we moved to San antonio and 1000 miles is a long commute for scouting activities.  
But if you can't tolerate the Boy Scouts, they are an option.  But if you want really organized high adventure camping, they aren't the best option, but then again, I don't really know what  groups are for that.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:08:45 am »
Any of y'all heard of Spiral Scouts?

I first heard of them many years ago.  I thought it was such a neat idea.  In an ideal world I would have loved to have done that with my son.  However, since Hubby is an Atheist, we didn't raise our son Pagan, and when he was the right age, we were quite literally in a one stoplight town, so it probably would have been just the two of us.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:01:01 pm »
Any of y'all heard of Spiral Scouts?

Yes. It's an organization run by "my" church (that is, the pagan group that I am mostly affiliated with -- the Aquarian Tabernacle Church).

I'm planning on starting a chapter here in my city sometime soon, if I can get interest from enough pagan parents.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Tags: