Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Getting my Witchy Groove Back  (Read 4444 times)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Getting my Witchy Groove Back
« on: December 25, 2011, 05:39:38 pm »
So, I've been going through a very long phase of evaluating my spiritual life, or lack thereof. I've come to realize that one thing I really need to do is to build a personal spiritual practice that I can rely on every day, rather than constantly looking to a group to meet my spiritual needs.

I wanted to ask folks here... what are the sorts of everyday things you do to keep your spiritual groove? How do you weave your path into, say, your job? Or running errands? I'm looking for simple things I can do, easy crafts I can make, etc. If it's not something simple, it won't happen... a 15 minute daily devotional I could work into my life, but not a complicated, hour long ritual that involves 17 different offerings that I have to make.

I want to put some spiritual touchstones in my work environment, but I'd like them to be fairly unobtrusive so I don't have to answer 500 questions about them (though most people at work know I'm Wiccan). I want to "witch up" my house, but I need ideas that are frugal and cat-proof (altars on every flat surface aren't going to work...)

I'm sort of going back to basics here, but coming back to "square one" after being on the path for 15+ years is different. I'm not getting that newbie enthusiasm back. But at least I have a good idea of what's likely to work for me, and what I've failed at in the past (and why).

Karen

live oak

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Getting my Witchy Groove Back
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;36387

I wanted to ask folks here... what are the sorts of everyday things you do to keep your spiritual groove? How do you weave your path into, say, your job? Or running errands? I'm looking for simple things I can do, easy crafts I can make, etc. If it's not something simple, it won't happen... a 15 minute daily devotional I could work into my life, but not a complicated, hour long ritual that involves 17 different offerings that I have to make.

Karen

Developing a daily practice has been really difficult for me, but this is the rhythm that works now. It takes about 10-15 minutes.

I light a candle, sometimes sage if I have some time. I center with three breaths or so, then read a prayer, usually from The Pagan Book of Prayer by Ceisiwr Serith. Then I'll draw a Tarot card, sometimes maybe a quick three card spread if I have the time (morning-afternoon-night or something like that). Then I'll close out with some gratitude prayers.

I recently received Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings by Caitlin Matthews. I like it so far and plan on incorporating some of it when I get home from the holidays.

Sometimes when I'm working in the kitchen I'll light a candle to the household spirits. I try to think 'intention' or energy into my actions when cleaning. Also, when working in the garden I try to be really present with what's happening in the soil, air, atmosphere, etc., and leave some offerings for the spirits of the land/property. Nothing complicated, just a food drop by a tree with a quick 'Thanks!'

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:20:39 am »
I wanted to ask folks here... what are the sorts of everyday things you do to keep your spiritual groove?

I do a lot of reading and researching in my spare time, and absorbing myths. One of my longer-term goals is to make the Maya myths and pantheon more accessable to people through comics and illustrations because so little is known about it in the Western world, and what is known is sourced from New Age claptrap and historical fiction parading about as fact. I don't know about you, but that feels like a lot of spirituality in my life right there!

To me, inviting the spiritual into your life means feeling the sun on your face and not having your first thought be "it's bright/hot". Or walking down a wooded path and focusing on how dirty your shoes are going to be when you're done. Or drinking water and thinking "Man I wish I had a diet coke instead". Yannow? Simple situational awareness is quite a lot as is.

I do other things too, though. Religion-nonspecific things, really. Like daily meditations, but those are more about my immediate physical and mental well-being than anything else.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:58:16 pm »
...what are the sorts of everyday things you do to keep your spiritual groove?

Well, every day, I wake up my goddess, Sekhmet. I do a little song-and-dance while I give her breakfast type items, such as apples or bread. Then, I also give her something to drink, which could be coffee or water. Sometimes, apple juice, but mostly the latter two. Then, I also turn over and give Papa Legba his daily cup of coffee. As far as daily trends, that's about it. OH!. I also end up giving the offerings I gave to Sekhmet to the nature spirits when I go for my morning walk with my dog. Yep. That's about it.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:52:18 am »
Quote from: Maps;37034
To me, inviting the spiritual into your life means feeling the sun on your face and not having your first thought be "it's bright/hot".

Or at any rate, not having that be your only thought about it.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 04:15:18 pm »
Quote from: Maps;37034
I do a lot of reading and researching in my spare time, and absorbing myths. One of my longer-term goals is to make the Maya myths and pantheon more accessable to people through comics and illustrations because so little is known about it in the Western world, and what is known is sourced from New Age claptrap and historical fiction parading about as fact. I don't know about you, but that feels like a lot of spirituality in my life right there!

To me, inviting the spiritual into your life means feeling the sun on your face and not having your first thought be "it's bright/hot". Or walking down a wooded path and focusing on how dirty your shoes are going to be when you're done. Or drinking water and thinking "Man I wish I had a diet coke instead". Yannow? Simple situational awareness is quite a lot as is.

I do other things too, though. Religion-nonspecific things, really. Like daily meditations, but those are more about my immediate physical and mental well-being than anything else.

I feel very similar to this. I tend to be 'spiritual' or aware of my beliefs by who I am and not what in what I do. Every moment is an oppurtunity to experience life through the philosophy you want to have. You have to saturate your person with meaning, not just the events and material objects in your life.

Course, that may not be helpful advice for someone looking to be "craft"-y. :/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:16:11 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Rowanfox

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »

I'm sort of going back to basics here, but coming back to "square one" after being on the path for 15+ years is different. I'm not getting that newbie enthusiasm back. But at least I have a good idea of what's likely to work for me, and what I've failed at in the past (and why).

Karen

I make it a point to spend a couple of minutes each day looking for the moon. I step out on the back porch and check the sky. A moment to tune in and recall the phases and what they mean, a quick salute, and I am on the next task for the day.

Sometimes in the morning, sometimes the evening, sometimes at night before bed......

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://fromthephoenixflames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »
.. what are the sorts of everyday things you do to keep your spiritual groove?

I too recently started back onto my spiritual path after taking a few years off for various reasons. Including questioning if Wicca was really for me and taking a deep look at my beliefs and my personality and what I want/need in a religion.

I do a daily devotional prayer type of thing just about every morning, that takes as little as 2 minutes or up to 10 minutes, depending on how much time I have and how much my little ones interrupt me! :)  

I light incense on my altar, light candles - first my "decorative & just for light" candles, then my fire candle, then my God candle, then my Goddess candle. I then stand in silence with my eyes closed and take a moment to ground and center. Next I say a quick prayer that I have written in my BOS... I haven't memorized it yet but it helps me connect with the Goddess and God as I get to know them better and get back into and grow my spiritual connection with them. I can post the whole poem later, if anyone is interested! It's not very long.

Next, I raise my arms up and chant "By the sun's golden rays, be with me through this day." I don't say it any certain number of times.. but I just repeat this chant over and over with my eyes closed, visualizing and feeling the sun's rays pouring down over me and filling me with positive energy, until I feel I've said it enough.

The main part of my daily ritual is this devotional. I say, "May the Goddess and God guide me today to honor myself and them in everything I do. May no harm come to me or anyone around me. Please help me to see the beauty in everyone and everything, and help me make the right choices to live in perfect love and perfect trust. May I be used as a vessel to carry the universal love to all those who need it. As above, so below. So mote it be!"   I say this as if speaking right to the Lady and Lord.. I look at their respective candles or the pictures I have of them on my altar. I speak slowly and really feel and think about each word I say and their meaning. I tend to say this three times in a row. Not really sure why.. I just always do!

Finally, I stand at the altar, smelling the incense.. with my eyes closed for a bit, just enjoying the moment,  silencing my mind, listening for any messages.. then I open my eyes and look at my altar and the beauty of it. It really is a special place for me. I may say a few words to the Goddess and God, I may not.

I leave the incense burning but snuff out the candles, in reverse order, the Goddess, then the god, then the fire candle, then the "just because" small white candles. And go about my day.

I have a nighttime ritual, but never do it. I just don't have the time as I work from home and often work late into the night/early morning and am too tired to do a ritual. When I can, I'll chant in my mind as I lay in bed falling asleep "By the moon's silver light, be with me through this night."  And I'll thank the Goddess and God for the day and the lessons I have learned that day and ask them to watch over me until I wake with the God in the morning.

I only have 1 altar set up in my home, but I'll often stop and look at it throughout the day as it is right in the middle of my home. And I also feel my spiritual reading, studying, learning, and writing in my BOS is spiritual and some of the things I do throughout the day (but not every day) to be more spiritual.  And I often just think about spiritual things and how I can improve my life to be more honorable to myself and the Goddess and God... and I think about how I can use Wicca to improve my thoughts and behaviors as a person, to be a better person. Things I can do to help the Earth and be more in touch with Nature. I try and seek out the moon every night, even just to look out the window for a few seconds. And I try to take a moment and feel the sun on my skin, even through a window.

I'm also trying to make my entire home more spiritual, but we will be moving this year, so I'm very thoughtful of what I want because it has to be worth it to take on our move and really represent me and how I want my "new life" to be when we move.

If you can't have an altar, try printing out some pictures from the internet and hanging them up around your home.. (I did this for my altar and to decorate my BOS) or making pentagrams out of sticks and twigs and hang up in your home... (I want to do this!), make a broom to put on your door...print out some pagan-y sayings or verses, or write your own, and hang them up in your home. Get some candle sconces to hang on the walls and burn candles on them so they will be out of the cat's reach.

I'm also looking for more things I can do to be more spiritual each day.. so I look forward to reading everyone's responses!:D:
Blessed be,
SkylarB  
My Wiccan Blog - From The Phoenix Flames

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:24 pm »

As for cat-proof altars--good luck on that! If you figure it out, let me know as my cat is enamored with mine to the point of obsession. Maybe a Jar Shrine???

As far as daily devotionals go this is what I do and so far my deities are quite happy with me. At least once a day I light a stick of incense for both Ganesh and Lakshmi then I say a quick 'Thank You for all that you do' and I am done. Some days I am required to leave a small offering of milk or chocolate with the incense, but that doesn't take up much time.

Maybe I am lucky that my deities don't require that much from me, but the above is all I need to do to show my gratitude each day and it takes not more than 5 minutes. Everything else I do for them is what I want to do, for example, reciting Ganesh's 108 names.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:46:25 pm by SunflowerP »
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:01:15 pm »
So, I've been going through a very long phase of evaluating my spiritual life, or lack thereof. I've come to realize that one thing I really need to do is to build a personal spiritual practice that I can rely on every day, rather than constantly looking to a group to meet my spiritual needs.

Karen

Just out of curosity but what do your god / goddess inspire you to do?

For me I know I would have background's on my computer at work that reminded me of them.  Screen Savers that would flash on after an idle time which also reminded me of them.  It's like I would use a sea setting for Hekate to remind me of the days I spent at sea and talking to her.  A mountain scene for Artemis or picture's of a stag or even a tranquil mountain lake.  Picture's of a desert scene to remind me of Pahket or Bastet.

I foudn for me the computer background or screen saver were the easist things to change.  Add that many business still do not promote personal space to much so other things become a bit more difficult to place.

I know for me the ride to work and from work was used to talk to my gods / goddesses.  I travelled an hour each way so I had plenty of time to speak to them as a group or as individuals.  Sometimes even bringing a tape recorder so I could record the talk so I could replay it later.

I'm not much for altars or such things.  A piece of statuary here or there or some other small item I've picked up in the woods or such.  BUt then again none of the gods / goddesss I am bound to and honor want them or encourge me to have them.  Sort of a 'If I cant see them in the world about me in all things then an altar is useless to do the same thing!"  So in that regard the world as a whole is my altar, the drops of rain upon the window or windshield their writing upon the wall.  The drift of snow the mark of thier hand and breath upon the land.

Personaly i'd suggest you think upon what your spirituality and gods / goddesses mean to you and what they ask of you and inspire in you.  It sounds like going back to basics but its not for basics usually speak of setting up for them not what it means to be bound and sworn to them.

Of course its just my opinon so use it or leave it as it best suites your needs.

entwife

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: ecclectic
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 01:26:25 am »

Karen

I've made a habit of insisting (to myself) on at least 10 minutes in the morning and 10 at night in which I greet each Direction, and spend the majority of the time in meditative thought, usually focusing on all that I am grateful for, what I'd like help with that day, what I'd like to improve in my self/life, and just being receptive. Then closing my little circle with gratitude, love, appreciation in each Direction. Gratitude is big with me lol If for no other reason than, I truly believe you get out of life what you put into it, and who doesn't like to feel appreciated, right? Offerings of tobacco or sage are common when I do this, and I have also found that investing a little more time makes a Huge difference. 20 minutes to an hour is a luxury I can't afford every day, but when I do, I don't feel like I'm just running on enough to get by if that makes sense.

I like to wear or carry simple personal items like necklaces (today I am wearing a favorite, a simple wooden crow hanging from a beaded necklace), a small bag of herbs or stones in my pocket which I've found very helpful and unobtrusive at work, or anointing chakras with oils at the beginning of my day. Something like... http://ryuc.info/common/honoring_ig/cr18_chakra_anointing.htm

Don't know your path, but Brighid Crosses are very easy and affordable to make, and hang on walls or doorways where cats don't typically bother them. This time of year, I like to make a ritual of giving something back. I'll catch birdseed on sale and use stale bread, bagels, etc with a little peanut butter (which we always have) to make bird treats to hang from the trees that surround our house. I love to sit at the window and watch them. Being surrounded by woods, I also have a spot out back where I leave leftover produce for the deer, rabbits and other neighborly critters. Carrots, apples, lettuce that's not going to get used up by the family before it turns, etc. Each one of these Creature Teachers has helped me throughout my life, and Winter, even an easy one, is hard on them. We have a natural spring close by and I haven't a way to keep water from freezing in Winter, but I have a little depression in the backyard lined with landscaping plastic and some convenient stones, just big enough to leave a little water for drinking. Sometimes water can be more important than food in this season!

Probably the number one thing I do in some way every day though... cook! A lot of thought goes into the food or drink I make, whether for myself or the family... and as eating is already a part of my day, easy to include! It's also been my habit for most of my life to leave a bite of everything I'm eating on my plate, inviting Ancestors and Guides to join me at mealtime with my gratitude. "Thank you for all that you do, and for all the unseen blessings already on their way." is a favorite phrase. I've been out of sage for a little while now, but I've found sage and/or cedar smudging upon returning home to be Extremely helpful, calming and generally a good habit to keep. Where I've really been lax is my dream journal and yoga. Such Great tools, and I really need to get back into a good habit with those :o Hit a huge bump in my road in the Fall of 2008, and good habits like that have kind of gotten left by the wayside. Good thing for me to focus on improving this year!

Oooh, how about a "bulletin board" altar? great way to put up images you want to focus on, quotes, bits of poetry, stray gifts from your day (leaves, feathers, etc) or (a personal favorite) utility bills with the word PAID, usually with a smiley, written on them!

Very interesting reading other postings here, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:33:47 am by entwife »
Wishing you laughter

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 08:25:30 pm »

I wanted to ask folks here... what are the sorts of everyday things you do to keep your spiritual groove?

I want to "witch up" my house, but I need ideas that are frugal and cat-proof (altars on every flat surface aren't going to work...)

Karen

Lighting a candle, saying a prayer, reading and studying, meditating on my deities... I try to do these things often and they're not terribly time-consuming. I also spend a lot of time with my Book of Shadows, doing Oracle readings, and spending time in nature. I devote food to my deities and also as gifts for the faeries.

Yeah, witchifying ones house can be a job of work -- especially when furballs are involved. That being said, I have an altar (a work in progress, I'm like you, getting more involved with my path again). I also have five cats. So, my altar gets overturned often. I get that this won't appeal to most people, but I live in a pretty small space with two other people as well. As far as I'm concerned, all space is sared. And I don't know who your deities are... most of mine are heavily associated with animals... and Pluto doesn't seem to object.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Tenorbear2

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59:31 pm »

Karen

When it's been a while since we've practiced anything - a workout regimen, a musical instrument, yoga, religious practice, meditation etc. we're out of condition. We have to start up slowly. Also, there's a reason why you took a sabatical so you may not want to just go back to what you were doing before. Modifying can make fresh and be part of renewal. I think meditation is something I'd put on the top of the list. Second down and attached to the meditation is music. Something that calms and centers you, then allows to you visualize and not visualize so you begin to get the feel of switching from one to the other again.  I'm not being flip, (ok - so maybe a little bit) but how about repeating every so often through the day, "There's no place like home.. and I'm coming back home!"  Just a thought.

Tenorbear2

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 08:18:32 pm »
(...)

I want to put some spiritual touchstones in my work environment, but I'd like them to be fairly unobtrusive so I don't have to answer 500 questions about them (though most people at work know I'm Wiccan). I want to "witch up" my house, but I need ideas that are frugal and cat-proof (altars on every flat surface aren't going to work...)

Hi dragonfaerie, the upper casings of doorways is a fantastic cat-proof place to put little witchy things! I kept a couple of stones and some herbs above my front door there and (providing the door wasn't slammed often) they'd stay put and the cat was none the wiser...

As for making time for a regular spiritual practice, I try to incorporate it into activities I'd be doing anyway, like cooking, taking a shower, making art. If I attach a spiritual aspect to a preset routine, I'm more likely to remember that "8pm means yoga time, incense and prayers to Ganesha! Wahoo!" For me, this method keeps regular spiritual practice from becoming a chore and it adds a whole lot of meaning to otherwise mundane actions.

I'm also a huge fan of setting small goals to help something become routine. I've got a calendar on the fridge that sketches out my exercise regimen for the month, and each day I cross off with a big red line the things I've accomplished. A spiritual equivalent would be pretty easy to come up with, and getting out that big red marker makes progress pretty satisfying :)

Tags: