Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Funerals and burial  (Read 3599 times)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Funerals and burial
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 01:52:55 pm »
Quote from: Snowdrop;113884
How do your religious beliefs affect how you would ideally like to be buried?  Does your religion have an already existing set of funerary practices?  If so, do you plan to follow them?  If you're a recon: how would you adapt ancient funerary procedures that aren't viable in the modern world?  Do you ever worry that, even if you set out your wishes in writing, non-pagan family and friends will ignore them and carry out your funeral according to their religion?  Or do you view funerals as primarily for the benefit of the bereaved anyway?  

I've been thinking a lot about how you could adapt Kemetic burials for the modern world.  You can hardly state in your will that you want to be mummified, and modern embalming isn't really the same thing, but I don't think it actually matters that much.  I have however been thinking about requesting to be buried with an amulet, probably the Eye of Heru.

I intend to be cremated upon my death. It's something I decided on over a decade ago. Mostly due to how my ancestors would send their dead to the afterworld... but also partly because I have this huge issue with worms.....

Thanatoic Discipline

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 04:56:44 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;114965
I intend to be cremated upon my death. It's something I decided on over a decade ago. Mostly due to how my ancestors would send their dead to the afterworld... but also partly because I have this huge issue with worms.....

but also partly because I have this huge issue with worms.....

So how exactly are worms going to get to you?

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 12:05:16 am »
Quote from: Thanatoic Discipline;114981
So how exactly are worms going to get to you?

If I'm buried, they find a way in! *shivers*

Grey&Golden

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 03:18:55 pm »
How do your religious beliefs affect how you would ideally like to be buried?  Does your religion have an already existing set of funerary practices?

I don't belong to a specific religion (I'm not a recon), so I don't have a specific practice that would be tied to religion. But I do have a strong preference for how I would like to be buried based on my spirituality. My preference would be to be buried in a disintegrating coffin, so that my body can return to the earth and have my energy passed on as soon as is possible. I would forego the coffin but that would disturb family to bury me without one and be a legal issue. And I would very much like a tree to be planted over me. I have an almost pathological obsession with trees and the souls I believe to be inside of them. I believe the energy of my body will transform and go on (as is fact anyways in science), and I would like a tree to use my energy and thus, a part of me can live within it. That's where my spirituality comes in, because I'd believe my soul would be a part of it, as I believe trees have souls, brought about by the energy they absorb. And my close connection with the trees almost gives me a sense that I was meant to move on with them.

Now, I do wonder how difficult it would be to find a gravesite that would allow disintegrating coffins and planted trees however. Ultimately, it would be up to the people I left behind to do with me what they will and what they are capable of, but I do have a strong spiritual preference that I would like done if possible. I already am making this clear to my family, even though they find the topic morbid, it's important to me. I'm the youngest in my family, so they don't expect to bury me, but we can't assume that we are all going to die due to old age, anything can happen at any time...

I don't believe in an afterlife at all, our specific consciousness will end I believe, I only believe in energy transformation, which is why I'm so focused on getting back into the earth.

Thanatoic Discipline

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 06:01:31 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;115018
If I'm buried, they find a way in! *shivers*

How? In order to have worms you have to have insects to lay those worms. They do not just magically appear like in the Bible or some other religious text. Decomposition is allowed to take place naturally in a modern burial setting. All embalming does is slow the process somewhat but once it starts there is no stopping it. The term "worms" is often used as expression to mean the body rotting in the grave.

http://www.cienciaforense.com/pages/entomology/overview.htm

The above link is good to show what happens when a body is left exposed to the elements.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:06:40 pm by Thanatoic Discipline »

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:25 pm »
Quote from: Thanatoic Discipline;114941
Tibetan Sky Burial:

Thanks for the link. I'll have to look into that.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 09:04:55 pm »
How do your religious beliefs affect how you would ideally like to be buried?

No to the rest of the questions, sorta on this one. I want to be cremated, and then my ashes spread somewhere good. The way I view it is, I'll be in heaven/Valhalla/Loki's hall/Thor's hall/wherever and won't care about my body. All this of course after organ donation.

:)
Conformity is the death of individualism

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 09:39:19 pm »
Quote from: Thanatoic Discipline;115288
How? In order to have worms you have to have insects to lay those worms. They do not just magically appear like in the Bible or some other religious text. Decomposition is allowed to take place naturally in a modern burial setting. All embalming does is slow the process somewhat but once it starts there is no stopping it. The term "worms" is often used as expression to mean the body rotting in the grave.

http://www.cienciaforense.com/pages/entomology/overview.htm

The above link is good to show what happens when a body is left exposed to the elements.

I mean actual earthworms, that find their way into decomposing coffins underground....

Tags: