collapse

Author Topic: Flower Symbolism and Lore  (Read 5276 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Flower Symbolism and Lore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 07:23:47 pm »
My favorite is probably Elderflower, and I'm quite sad that it's hard to find drinks of that flavor around here. I've also heard that people would plant Elder bushes in their yards to ward off bad luck.

Elderflower is so tasty. For people who are near a Trader Joe's, they've been carrying a 4 can pack of elderflower and lemon. (Which I suspect maybe storebranded Cawston Press. It comes in cans, anyway.) But several other grocery stores (and not just the import-heavy ones) have been carrying it around here.

Or it's possible to get the syrup from online sources, too.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 09:35:53 pm »

My favorite is probably Elderflower, and I'm quite sad that it's hard to find drinks of that flavor around here. I've also heard that people would plant Elder bushes in their yards to ward off bad luck.

I assume you're aware of IKEA?

I do miss driving up the canyons here to pick wild elderberries, though.  Have thought of planting a few in my yard, but purchasing plants is expensive.

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 11:38:34 pm »
Have you tried them in a salad? I've been interested for a while about edible flowers, though I lack any space to grow them in - I tried some in pots, but they didn't do well. (Someday ...)

I'm also quite fond of Dianthus, aka clove pinks, aka off-brand carnations. The scent is lovely and they apparently make great infused liquor.

I have not, but I am interested in that!  I did make a rose petal mead two years ago, and that's been aging marvelously.  I made only a gallon batch, so I only have like three bottles left because I am impatient, haha...

I have had elderflower in cider and mead before too.  To me, it's a bit of a delicate flavor and sometimes that translates very differently to various palates.

While on symbolism... I've always associated mint with prosperity, and sassafras with what I supposed I'd call the immediacy of a moment.  I know these are pretty personal associations, but they go way back.  Mint was EVERYWHERE growing up, and I am a fiend for it.  I remember laying in beds of it in the backyard as a kid and just knowing that this, was the good life.  Sassafras was everywhere on the playground at school, and I spent a lot of my recess time nose-to-leaf with various saplings, just spending time with them, enjoying being in that particular moment.

Y'all are making me reconsider my "I don't have enough energy for gardening" this year.  Maybe not as much as last year, but... it might be nice to put out some rosemary... oh, ponderings...
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 12:02:16 pm »
I have not, but I am interested in that!  I did make a rose petal mead two years ago, and that's been aging marvelously.  I made only a gallon batch, so I only have like three bottles left because I am impatient, haha...

I have had elderflower in cider and mead before too.  To me, it's a bit of a delicate flavor and sometimes that translates very differently to various palates.

. . .

Y'all are making me reconsider my "I don't have enough energy for gardening" this year.  Maybe not as much as last year, but... it might be nice to put out some rosemary... oh, ponderings...

Funny you mention that, my big plan for midsummer this year is to make an elderflower and lemon mead. I found a big old wild elder bush at my local park, I didn't get any from it last year because it's on an island in the middle of the stream but this year I'm prepared to go wading. ;) Sefiru, depending on where you live you might be able to find wild elderflower, I know it grows all over here (wherever there's water there's elder) but it's only really noticeable when it blooms unless you know what you're looking for. Elderflower cordial is also super easy to make, I made about 2 quarts last year from the scant flowers on my own planted elder.

My favorite flowers for salads are nasturtiums. They're a super easy annual with really pretty flowers in orange/red/maroon shades, and the whole plant is edible and tastes like black pepper. The seeds have even been used as a pepper substitute. I've put violet flowers in salads before but they kind of get lost, I much prefer to use the violet leaves instead (in early spring before they get tough).

As for rosemary, it grows ridiculously easy in a pot. My friend has a 3-foot rosemary bush in a huge pot she's neglected for years, every year we break off 12-18 inch branches for asperging and ritual and it barely even notices. My mom had a potted rosemary taken from a plant that was probably a couple hundred years old (it was a rooted cutting from a colonial garden) and it took about 20 years for the bitter Midwestern cold to finally kill it. I'm actually moving my rosemary to a pot this year because I keep getting dieback from the wet winters we've had lately, rosemary prefers it drier.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 07:33:16 pm »
Sefiru, depending on where you live you might be able to find wild elderflower, I know it grows all over here (wherever there's water there's elder) but it's only really noticeable when it blooms unless you know what you're looking for.

I'll have to check. My mom actually has an elder bush in her garden, but it's a varietal that only has tiny flowers without any scent.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 07:34:05 pm »
I assume you're aware of IKEA?

The closest to me is a 2 1/2 hour drive, and I don't own a car.  :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 03:38:54 am »
The closest to me is a 2 1/2 hour drive, and I don't own a car.  :(
Maybe order the blossoms from a pharmacy and do it yourself?

Is there an organic food shop? They might also have the sirup.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 06:16:14 pm »
Maybe order the blossoms from a pharmacy and do it yourself?

Is there an organic food shop? They might also have the sirup.

There is and they do. It is probably the only elderflower-flavored food product for sale in a 100km from here. It's not bad, but it's not as good as some of the drinks I've had in Europe.

Do German pharmacies sell herbs like that? I don't think ours do, except for extracts in pills.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 04:52:24 am »

I am currently trying to do some research into bridal bouquets. Historically they were meant as a herb pouch to ward off evil but I'm having difficulty finding more information on what herbs exactly where in there.

You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 07:16:56 pm »
I am currently trying to do some research into bridal bouquets. Historically they were meant as a herb pouch to ward off evil but I'm having difficulty finding more information on what herbs exactly where in there.

I was going to reply to this earlier and forgot  :( I've never heard much a bout the symbolism of bridal bouquets; which when I think about it is odd, considering the sheer mass of traditions and faux-traditions that have built up around Western weddings.

If you do find some information, I'd be curious to hear about it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: