Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Does your job relate to your spiritual practice?  (Read 7955 times)

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does your job relate to your spiritual practice?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 04:11:49 am »
Like it says in the thread title: Is your job related to your spirituality? If so, how? Which came first? (Did you look for a job that has to do with your path, or did your path grow out of your job?)

I would say my job is closely related to my spirituality. I'm a high school Art and History teacher and I dearly love my job. I didn't set out seeking a career that relates to my path, it seems as though they both formed around each other. There is nothing quite like the moment you can explain something and a student gets it, and to support them as they begin finding their place in the world. Idealistic I know, but I'm never happier than when I'm working.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 01:14:35 pm »
Like it says in the thread title: Is your job related to your spirituality? If so, how? Which came first? (Did you look for a job that has to do with your path, or did your path grow out of your job?)

For me, it's kind of a coincidence: for a long time one of my deities has been Sokar, who among other things is the patron of those who make tomb offerings, and I didn't know why he was interested in me ... until I got a job at a life insurance company, which is sort of a modern equivalent. This was not a deliberate choice on my part, but I'm not ruling out some divine meddling, especially since it turned out to be a really good job for me.

Half-yes.

So, what is my job?  I am a home-maker, so caring for my family and tending the house I would definitely consider entwined with my spirituality.  Son is going off to college next fall, so a lot of what I do around the house will shift massively, and hopefully towards more daily spirituality.

I also write for my Patreon, which absolutely ties into my spirituality.  I write a weekly blog (which is free, but shared through Patreon), but I also write a magical fiction story every month for Patrons.  For me, this is about service, which is why the blog is, and always will be, free and open to everyone.  But it is also a potential income, and hopefully one day will provide me with the ability to help contribute monetarily towards my household income.

Finally, I do freelance captioning, which I don't consider to be related to my spirituality.  Every now and again, I'll caption a video that is something that is connected to my spirituality (I have captioned on on making a water altar, one on Ayurveda, and one on naked priestessing...interesting, but completely by chance)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

corrosivesquid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 02:25:09 pm »

I'm not quite sure because the job I have currently is a stepping stone to get to where I want to be.

Currently I work with kids with autism using applied behavior analysis, where I want to be is a court counselor or a counselor in women's shelters. I feel like my current path will (in the end) relate to my path because many of those I worship are pushing me to continue on instead of staying with what I have.

Honestly it was them that pushed me to continue my education and give me the confidence to apply to masters programs. So in a way, yes and no. No in the fact of I don't use my practices at work and yes because I've been encouraged to follow this goal for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Solitary Wolf

• I just really love foxes, okay? And Loki, too.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lokean
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 01:38:35 am »

My job is loosely tied to my spirituality, by coincidence (mostly). The business I worked at before I got my newer job is directly across the street, and I used to stop by the store I work at now to run errands on my way to or from work. It's sort of a general store that carries a wide variety of products, everything from groceries to hippie New Age stuff to just total odds and ends.

The plus side of working there is that I get different levels of discounts, depending on what types of products I'm buying, so when I do buy something relating to my faith on occasion, I get it cheaper than I did before. I have more incense and candles than probably necessary at this point, but I like variety anyway!

I wasn't specifically looking for a store that would be compatible with my beliefs, but one of the employees at that store suggested I apply there a while ago, and I really wanted out of my previous job, so it all worked out.

Kasmira

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Tendai buddhist
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 02:28:01 pm »

I'm another "this might be cheating" answer - I'm a priest.

That said, I'm a little early in my priest career (took ordination yesterday!) and I do have another career (one year shy of getting my MD) so it's really a tad more complicated than that. I have been assigned to a monastery (priest and monk are the same word in Japanese, I'm kind of half way between the two) in California which burned down several years ago and we are going to rebuild it as a residential healing center so the two careers will be very much hand in hand and definitely related to my spirituality! For now I'm still mostly in the student phase on both.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 06:29:09 pm »
I'm a little early in my priest career (took ordination yesterday!)

Congratulations!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 07:13:43 pm »
That said, I'm a little early in my priest career (took ordination yesterday!)

Congratulations! Also <waves madly> I'm really happy to see you, I've missed you!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Kasmira

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 10:27:16 am »

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde

Kasmira

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 10:33:48 am »
Congratulations! Also <waves madly> I'm really happy to see you, I've missed you!

Sunflower

Missed you too! I think I fell off the edge of TC around when I started med school and though I've tried a few times to get back to being active here, I've never had the time available to make it work. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing much in the next few years but I have been managing to stick my head in occasionally recently to read (though rarely to post) and I'm hoping to keep that up. I'll try to pipe up on occasion, at least, so you know I'm alive! In the meantime, great to hear from you!

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 12:41:57 pm »

For me, it's kind of a coincidence: for a long time one of my deities has been Sokar, who among other things is the patron of those who make tomb offerings, and I didn't know why he was interested in me ... until I got a job at a life insurance company, which is sort of a modern equivalent. This was not a deliberate choice on my part, but I'm not ruling out some divine meddling, especially since it turned out to be a really good job for me.

I've been meaning to respond to this since I saw it posted on here some time back.

For me it's kind of a coincidence too.  I always prefrerred to work in the public or third sector rather than private industry, say - even though the pay in the private sector would undoubtedly have been better.  That's because I needed to be doing something where I could make some sort of difference, not just aid in lining the pockets of some corporation, so to speak.  I couldn't imagine getting up in a morning and being motivated to go out to work, otherwise.  It wasn't something, at the time, that I'd consciously decided as part of my spirituality - more my personal ethics.

Then a few years on I started seeking a path properly for the first time in a long time (probably in the region of 15 years) and found neo-druidry, which advocates community responsibility/service (among other things) and that's very much something that's involved in my job role.

So in a weird way I find it hard to pinpoint which *actually* came first!  But regardless, I like to believe that it was in some way meant to be.

I've since continued exploring other possible paths, actually, as not sure if Druidry *is* fully a good fit for me, but I've made this post with this path in mind as it was the first path I looked into in any depth and I haven't yet found any closer fit.  I will always continue to want to work in the public/third sector, too, whatever path I'm following.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 06:38:29 pm »
II always prefrerred to work in the public or third sector rather than private industry, say - even though the pay in the private sector would undoubtedly have been better. 

I've never heard the phrase "third sector" before -- does it refer to non-profit organisations and such?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2018, 04:16:24 am »
I've never heard the phrase "third sector" before -- does it refer to non-profit organisations and such?

That's right  :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: