Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Depression (and other fun mental afflictions) and Spirituality  (Read 16783 times)

tihana

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://metapot.com/cart.php?mode=friend_wl&wlid=c5f6e25cf20eac9d7bc7a83d4af56bee
Re: Depression (and other fun mental afflictions) and Spirituality
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:47 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;48571
There's a lot of VERY ugly victim-blaming in modern pagan circles with illness in general - especially mental illnesses.  Garbage about if you were "right with Goddess" or whatever you'd be healed.

And why stop at medicinal chemicals? Let's not even go in the direction of food...
But I found this goes for just about any sickness or circumstance: It's always wrong until it happens to you or a loved one. It's quite easy to say "Such-and-blah is bad for you, you should stick to something more ~natural~" when it can not or will not ever make a presence in your life. Hell, even I made assumptions before one day it just whammied me, a full-on meltdown. And while it's still not perfect because the individual mind is horribly complex, I'm thankful everyday that while they may not be a cure, can treat some issues and make days more tolerable.

And honestly, religion has been grounding. Not in that "cure-all" mumbo-jumbo nonsense way, but it helps me focus on positives. Study and action can help the mind drift elsewhere even if it is only temporary. Instead of focusing inward, look outward... Be aware of what's around you. That way, the negative thoughts seem to quiet up a little.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 08:15:31 pm »
Quote from: tihana;48592

When I had my breakdown in 2009, I prayed to Sekhmet for help with my depression.  Her response, in so many words, was "Get yourself to a doctor NOW."

I :lub: my SSRI.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 06:53:30 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;48611
When I had my breakdown in 2009, I prayed to Sekhmet for help with my depression.  Her response, in so many words, was "Get yourself to a doctor NOW."

Sekhmet pretty much landed an acupuncturist in my lap.. No, seriously. I got a giftvoucher for an initial session entirely out of the blue from someone I only barely know, just because we passed each other in a cafe. :eek:

It helped. Tremendously. I'm now counting weeks and sometimes even months between melt downs, instead of days and hours.

And it's not because I did 'right-by-the-Goddess', but because I did right by me, and and gave me what I needed.
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 09:17:10 am »
Quote from: tihana;48592
And why stop at medicinal chemicals? Let's not even go in the direction of food...
But I found this goes for just about any sickness or circumstance: It's always wrong until it happens to you or a loved one. It's quite easy to say "Such-and-blah is bad for you, you should stick to something more ~natural~" when it can not or will not ever make a presence in your life. Hell, even I made assumptions before one day it just whammied me, a full-on meltdown. And while it's still not perfect because the individual mind is horribly complex, I'm thankful everyday that while they may not be a cure, can treat some issues and make days more tolerable.

And honestly, religion has been grounding. Not in that "cure-all" mumbo-jumbo nonsense way, but it helps me focus on positives. Study and action can help the mind drift elsewhere even if it is only temporary. Instead of focusing inward, look outward... Be aware of what's around you. That way, the negative thoughts seem to quiet up a little.

My faith has helped me immensely with my issues - I was even granted a dream once which helped me deal with a medical issue a LOT better.  I sure don't want to sound down on faith!

It's just ... it's not /the answer for everything/.  And it's a lousy answer for a physical problem with a physical solution.

Shefyt

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firecat.net/lapis
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 11:40:56 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;48611

I had a terror of going on medication, so when I had my meltdown last year and was prescribed anti-anxiety meds, I completely lost it -- crying, screaming on the bathroom floor, seriously on the verge of just flushing all my pills down the toilet. At last, exhausted, I lay there and prayed to Bast.

Take your pills, She said.

Things are better now. :)

Shefyt
I have not taken time away from the day;
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
--Megegi of Thebes

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 09:28:42 pm »
Quote from: Sage;749
Note the sarcasm in the title.

I was diagnosed with minor depression last October, but I'm fairly certain I've had it at least since the 10th grade if not since elementary school. Because of this, it's difficult for me to trust myself and the spiritual experiences I have. It's also difficult to sense energy or muster the strength to be open (emotionally, mentally) to any sort of connection. For many years I thought I was doing it wrong, but with the diagnosis of depression I understand it's just a stumbling block in my brain. It's not my fault, and it gets better with drugs and therapy, but it is something I have to be aware of.

Also, it's easy for me to "binge" on energy when I am in the mindset and when all that energy fades away... hello seriously bad emotional state. :(

I'd like to start a conversation about the intersection of spirituality and depression, anxiety, severe esteem and body image issues, or really any mental/emotional imbalance at all. How does depression (anxiety, etc.) affect your spiritual life? What obstacles do you encounter, and how do you get around them? Do you find much support from your religious community (both on a local and a broader scale), or is support and understanding hard to come by?

-Sage (Ellen M.)

I'm not sure I can totally relate, as I don't have diagnosed depression. I've actually been struggling with this, and I may or may not be verbally lynched for this, but I think I may be empathic. This relates to your question because a lot of people around me are depressed, and I feel that. There was a kid who lived above me (I live in a dorm) who was depressed for months and actually killed himself. The whole time he was feeling it I was too, and I can only describe it as being literally painful. It felt like someone was twisting my insides up and I was suffocating. I remember having thoughts like "why does my life even matter?" and just not being able to physically do anything. Like all I would do is just lay around and sleep because I just couldn't do anything. Which sounds kind of silly, but that's exactly how I felt.

I had points where I just begged for help. Like I would literally sit and pray and say things like "I will take whatever anyone is willing to give me, just help me please". It was awful. If you had to deal with that, I totally sympathize with you.
I would say I've felt the whole "binge energy" deal, because every time I tuned in, even by simply grounding, I felt great, and would suck up energy like air. This may help you (just don't binge...), you could try just going outside and centering yourself and just being.
Also, maybe if you have a God or Goddess you worship, you could try asking them for assistance. I would talk to close friends, too. I never talked to anybody, because I was afraid of what they'd say to me, like they'd think I was broken or something. I guess the best thing I could tell you is just don't give up, keep trying with all your heart, that's what counts. :)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 03:24:38 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;46673
This.  Neb.y is very good at helping me switch from blue emotions to red ones...and I find red ones easier to power through.

I am recently discovering something similiar with the Morrigan. She teaches me to tackle on the things that   trigger my anxiety crisis like they were ennemies I must attack - by 'getting angry 'I eventually find a way to break out of that feeling of being paralyzed in place. It is definitely easier said than done but it does help.

Much in the same way I had a recent setback to crying attacks - whole three days   when I was so absorbed by the need to tear up at any moment over a trivial fight with my brother i had freaking DAYS before and doing pretty much anything felt like too much work - and then She gave me a nudge that I needed more 'red' to push through.
I pretty much forced myself to call back a friend so i would get out of the house and and tried to stay focused on that feeling of rebelluon against myself and my aphathy, to use it to brak myself out of the mood. I dressed ain red and blaack and made my make up in the same colors and then I felt, if not better right away, at least unblocked.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:36 am »
Quote from: Sage;749

I'd like to start a conversation about the intersection of spirituality and depression, anxiety, severe esteem and body image issues, or really any mental/emotional imbalance at all. How does depression (anxiety, etc.) affect your spiritual life? What obstacles do you encounter, and how do you get around them? Do you find much support from your religious community (both on a local and a broader scale), or is support and understanding hard to come by?

Disclaimer: Whatever my brain is doing, all I can vouch for is that it's horrible, because I have no professional diagnoses.

When my brain turns to goo, everything becomes about a bazillion times more difficult - and so spiritual things tend to be neglected in favour of the more mundane things like schoolwork. In terms of getting around it there's not much I can do apart from wait for it to pass, though if I can convince myself to get up off the floor then a meditation or ritual goes a long way to calming me down.

I don't have much of a religious community apart from online, so there isn't much support to be had. But my best supports are my best friend and my girlfriend, who are both Pagan-friendly and interested - so that's as close to religious community as I have.

Tags: