collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Cultural Gatekeepers  (Read 2631 times)

Yei

• Master Member
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Re: Cultural Gatekeepers
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 06:37:16 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;205216
Granted, but you need, in turn, to acknowledge that, for each cultural setting with the baggage you cite, there's at least another that doesn't.

In the particular case, the interface between ancient Egyptians and Arabs is minimal, thanks to the Greco-Roman buffer between them, so I suspect that the misgivings have as much to do with (lack of) Arab ethnicity as (lack of) Islamic tradition, neither of which is really much of a thorny issue.

True. Just goes to show that context is everything.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 11:54:50 pm »
Quote from: troll maiden;198660
I just wanted to get these thoughts of my chest, and find out others' opinions on the matter. :)

My feeling (and it's just a feeling) is that anything done in private is probably at least harmless.

If you want to do rain dances to a Native American spirit you picked up a postcard print of and you're the only one there, no harm no foul. You probably looked like a fool, but that's it.

If you go out there and start telling people that you perform rain dances to Postcard Spirit, you're now on shaky ground.

If you start *inviting people* to your Postcard Spirit Rain Dance, you're now being problematic. The more official the action, the more official knowledge you need. If you really like this Spirit, the best thing to do would be to start learning from the culture, humbly and respectfully, what they're willing to teach you, when they're willing to teach it.

I also think that those *not in a culture* need to be careful about acting as self-appointed gatekeepers to the culture. I've had people get offended on my behalf over something that wasn't actually an issue, and it was intensely annoying because I had to jump in and correct the situation because an innocent person was being lambasted for something totally inoffensive. Nobody likes to be told that their misguided attempts at white-knighting are actually unnecessary.

Gatekeeping by third parties, in its own way, can actually be as problematic as appropriation if done badly. It can also give the impression that a culture or group is far more closed or sensitive or easily offended than it actually is, which has the effect of causing people not to listen to them when there is an actual issue that needs addressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehbowen

• Master Member
    Attack Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.streamlinerschedules.com
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 09:52:16 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;205315
My feeling (and it's just a feeling) is that anything done in private is probably at least harmless.

If you want to do rain dances to a Native American spirit you picked up a postcard print of and you're the only one there, no harm no foul. You probably looked like a fool, but that's it.

If you go out there and start telling people that you perform rain dances to Postcard Spirit, you're now on shaky ground.

If you start *inviting people* to your Postcard Spirit Rain Dance, you're now being problematic. The more official the action, the more official knowledge you need. If you really like this Spirit, the best thing to do would be to start learning from the culture, humbly and respectfully, what they're willing to teach you, when they're willing to teach it.

Very good points.

Quote from: Sorcha;205315
I also think that those *not in a culture* need to be careful about acting as self-appointed gatekeepers to the culture. I've had people get offended on my behalf over something that wasn't actually an issue, and it was intensely annoying because I had to jump in and correct the situation because an innocent person was being lambasted for something totally inoffensive. Nobody likes to be told that their misguided attempts at white-knighting are actually unnecessary.

Gatekeeping by third parties, in its own way, can actually be as problematic as appropriation if done badly. It can also give the impression that a culture or group is far more closed or sensitive or easily offended than it actually is, which has the effect of causing people not to listen to them when there is an actual issue that needs addressing.

That's why I made the comment I did about "MYOB" unless someone was specifically asking for advice. In My Opinion the personalities, human and otherwise, connected to a specific belief system are a better judge of whether that tradition is being abused than any outside onlooker.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where\'s the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Sorcha

• Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 03:43:42 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;205335
Very good points.

That's why I made the comment I did about "MYOB" unless someone was specifically asking for advice. In My Opinion the personalities, human and otherwise, connected to a specific belief system are a better judge of whether that tradition is being abused than any outside onlooker.

Yup. I love (and by love I mean hate) people speaking for me when I'm literally standing right there.

I mean, if I see something truly atrocious I definitely speak up as, being a white person, I have the privilege of being taken more seriously than a POC (although as a woman I face the joys of being accused of being "disrespectful" because I won't roll over and just agree with any random man in existence). But I try to make sure I'm relaying actual words and opinions of people being treated unfairly and clearing space for their voices to be heard, not speaking for them when they're right there to speak for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainJaneway

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 04:44:25 pm »
Quote from: Beryl;198664
An example - Kabbalah. In Judaism, this is SERIOUS business, and should only be undertaken by someone who would be considered an expert in Torah [which doesn't just mean the five books recorded in a Torah scroll, it includes all of the Tenach, the Talmud, Mishnah, etc. Essentially, an expert in all we know of a few millennia of Jewish thought and debate] - traditionally over 40 (and male), both of which criteria imply almost three decades of study (a 40 year old male Jew who hadn't actually been pretty much full time studying Torah would not be likely to be seen as a good candidate for Kabbalistic learning). In Paganism, well, pretty much anyone who's read certain books on Tarot probably thinks they know a whole lot about Kabbalah.

I'm trying to understand this, but I have a question, and it's really this: so?

I mean, yes, it's clearly serious business to Jewish people - but does that really mean that people from other faiths can't have an interest in the Qabala, and use it for their own spiritual enrichment?  I mean, what, specifically, is wrong with that?
"The cosmos is also within us - we are made of star stuff.  We are a way for the universe to know itself."  -  Carl Sagan

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 06:01:18 pm »
Quote from: CaptainJaneway;206016

I'm not Beryl, but I think the problem with the example she cites is that for centuries the Jewish people have been persecuted, and not allowed to engage in their traditional religious practices. Including Kabbalah. So yeah, seeing every RavenAmber McPagan getting treated as an authority on Kabbalah when it's not and never has been fully accessible to the very people who INVENTED it...that's gonna be annoying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:02:23 pm by Redfaery »
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Judaism
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »

I mean, yes, it's clearly serious business to Jewish people - but does that really mean that people from other faiths can't have an interest in the Qabala, and use it for their own spiritual enrichment?  I mean, what, specifically, is wrong with that?

Firstly, I should point out that Kabbalah =! Qabala. As far as I've observed Q-spellings tend to have much more to do with Christian mysticism and Western Ceremonial Magic -- which, while obviously influenced by authentic Lurianic Kabbalah, has developed into its own system. Kabbalah, however, in the context of authentic Jewish mysticism is not for Gentiles to fuck with. It varies from denomination to denomination (Beryl's description tends to be true for Orthodox Judaism, but other denominations tend to be looser on the subject) but here's the thing: we invented it and therefore only we get to define it. Kabbalah is wholly Jewish; lock, stock, and barrel. And so just as non-Muslims don't get to define Hanbali fiqh, Gentiles don't get to define Kabbalah. And if someone, based on their -- necessarily cursory, unless they're a very serious Torah scholar -- knowledge of Lurianic Kabbalah decides to take what they know and use it to inform their own spiritual practice, then that's great! If they decide to build an entire spiritual or religious philosophy off of their cursory knowledge of Kabbalah, then that's great too! Yaaaaaaay religious diversity! But, claiming that the Kabbalah-inspired or Kabbalah-influenced thing you invented Is Real And Authentic Kabbalah is garbage; and I think Beryl's issue stems from the fact that Moonface Paganstar tends to do the latter -- rather than be honest about the differences.
Shimon the Righteous was among the last surviving members of the Great assembly. He would say: The world stands on three things: Torah, the service of Hashem, and deeds of kindness

CaptainJaneway

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 06:26:10 pm »
Quote from: Castus;206020
Firstly, I should point out that Kabbalah =! Qabala. As far as I've observed Q-spellings tend to have much more to do with Christian mysticism and Western Ceremonial Magic -- which, while obviously influenced by authentic Lurianic Kabbalah, has developed into its own system.

Ahh, I didn't know that - thank you.

And if someone, based on their -- necessarily cursory, unless they're a very serious Torah scholar -- knowledge of Lurianic Kabbalah decides to take what they know and use it to inform their own spiritual practice, then that's great! If they decide to build an entire spiritual or religious philosophy off of their cursory knowledge of Kabbalah, then that's great too! Yaaaaaaay religious diversity! But, claiming that the Kabbalah-inspired or Kabbalah-influenced thing you invented Is Real And Authentic Kabbalah is garbage; and I think Beryl's issue stems from the fact that Moonface Paganstar tends to do the latter -- rather than be honest about the differences.

Now that makes sense.  Thank you.  So, if it enriches your own practice/spirituality, it's okay to use it as inspiration, as long as you don't claim to have invented it?  And, ideally, if point to where it originates?  

If you wouldn't mind answering another of my questions...  Out of curiosity, what do you think of this book as far as you can tell, if you haven't read it?  I'm currently reading it, it's super interesting, and it doesn't claim to have invented the Kabbalah (if that's the right spelling for me to use in this context; I'm not 100% sure).  I'm just wondering whether or not this book might fall into the category of cultural appropriation, and, if so, why?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:27:51 pm by CaptainJaneway »
"The cosmos is also within us - we are made of star stuff.  We are a way for the universe to know itself."  -  Carl Sagan

Beryl

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 03:47:14 am »

Well, because for a start, as I said, it's built on a foundation of intensive, lifelong Torah study and immersion in Jewish culture. It'd be a bit like if you picked up a book on conversational Japanese, having only ever spoken European languages, and then tried to write a deeply meaningful novel in Japanese. You might have fun, might learn something about yourself (such as: that you're a bit overly ambitious - like the time I tried to write a piece of homework for my sixth or so week of Irish classes that I would have had a bit of a tough time with in Italian after two years of intensive study), but you probably wouldn't be writing very good Japanese, and your novel would probably not make a whole lot of sense, let alone get across what you were trying to say.

Beryl

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 03:52:14 am »
Quote from: Beryl;206106
Well, (snip)

Whoops, sorry, just woke up and completely missed the third page of replies! Yes, what everyone else said.

As far as that book goes... Erm. Hard to say without reading it, but it looks a bit iffy. Does it have any sort of a section on what Qabala *is* (i.e. a Hermetic esoteric tradition with roots in, well, stuff appropriated from Jewish Kabbalah, mixed up with astrological stuff, Egyptian and Greco-Roman influences, etc Wiki Page on HQ for more info) and how it developed?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
    Attack Member
  • fhtagn
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bacon Cheeseburger
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 02:17:49 am »
Gatekeeping by third parties, in its own way, can actually be as problematic as appropriation if done badly. It can also give the impression that a culture or group is far more closed or sensitive or easily offended than it actually is....

::nods::  Yep, this.  There's also the question of whether the culture needs or even wants the self-appointed border patrol. 

Slightly different context here, but I'm reminded of the recent 'appropriation' charge thrown at those two Portland ladies with their handmade tortillas.  Hell, I'm Mexican, but if I want handmade tortillas, I have to go to the panaderia down the street.  But I wondered, since so many people were offended, whether I should be too.  Turns out I'm not.  Go ahead and appropriate the tortillas.  We're Mexican.  We'll make more.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:20:04 am by MadZealot »
I had a sarcasm once.  Got it all over everything.

Jack

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 02:29:29 am »
::nods::  Yep, this.  There's also the question of whether the culture needs or even wants the self-appointed border patrol. 

Slightly different context here, but I'm reminded of the recent 'appropriation' charge thrown at those two Portland ladies with their handmade tortillas.  Hell, I'm Mexican, but if I want handmade tortillas, I have to go to the panaderia down the street.  But I wondered, since so many people were offended, whether I should be too.  Turns out I'm not.  Go ahead and appropriate the tortillas.  We're Mexican.  We'll make more.

In fairness, white people talking about how they've totally learned all the secrets of $CULTUREs food and now they're opening a food truck in Portland (with the implied "so don't bother eating at the six million hole in the wall restaurants and food trucks owned by POC") is a legitimate and ongoing problem with Portland Food Culture and those ladies aren't making tortillas in a vacuum. I mean, presumably they're making them in a tortilla press, but you know what I mean.

Which I guess makes it a metaphor for the larger discussion because individual acts become appropriative in a larger context when they're individually largely harmless and it gets all murky and hard to sort out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"Jack, you are gravely disordered." - Castus
"[Jack], you are embracing a lie which will ultimately prove destructive to you and those around you and for which there will be consequences." - ehbowen

Tags: