Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Covens.  (Read 5197 times)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Covens.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 06:23:40 am »

On top of that, we have lessons every two days at 8 pm when all can attend. There are 29 people in the coven. I work my schedule around theirs and my work isn't one I necessarily have to focus on because I can cook with no problem, even when distracted. As for the time I take for my practices, I usually stay up till 11 pm and take the three hours after class to meditate, cast, ask questions myself, and find an answer.

That's one heck of a schedule - I thought I was demanding a lot with weekly classes for seekers of 2-3 hours!  How long have you been doing this for? Do you repeat a cycle of classes or is it all fresh material each time?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:27:23 am by Dynes Hysbys »

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 06:29:42 am »

That's one heck of a schedule - I thought I was demanding a lot with weekly classes for seekers of 2-3 hours!  How long have you been doing this for? Do you repeat a cycle of classes or is it all fresh material each time?

Sorry about the "late" edit above - I totally messed up the quote code and it took me ages to find the post again to pick up the right attribution!

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Witchcraft/spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 09:22:46 am »

Oh no, their class is one hour. I take three hours to myself and my practice. But, it's usually all fresh materials unless I get a new student and they want to go through everything. Which I'm fine with. It helps with bonding. As for how long I've been doing this for, I'll be 21 in May, so six years.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:25:13 am by Afanasfreya »
"Live life to the fullest, because only surviving isn't living at all. "

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 09:33:07 am »
It mostly works out because I have a personal relationship with all 29.

That's got to be challenging - that's a very large group to keep close connections to. Both psychologically, and logistically. I'm just thinking about things like getting that many people in the same space comfortably in the average home, or the fact that that size of group will tend to split up into multiple different conversations pretty quickly.

I try to instill humility in them as being humble has never hurt a single soul.

I'd disagree (though that's probably a topic for a different thread). I know an awful lot of people, especially women, who were taught that being humble and deferring to the needs of others was more important than taking care of themselves, or using their skills to the fullest. Those attitudes have definitely hurt a number of people I care about over the years. (Me too, actually.)

Most of them are stay at home mothers to toddlers who are already in bed by that point. If someone can't make it to a meeting, I post it in a Facebook group we have, or I just text it to them.

That's a more reliable set of toddler bedtimes than many toddlers! (I've got several friends with toddlers, including some who hang out in the chat I'm in most nights around bedtime, so I've got a pretty good sense on how many nights bedtime is not quite as fixed a point as everyone would like it to be.)

It sounds like most of your group are in a pretty similar life stage. Have you given thoughts to how that might need to change over time? All sorts of things can change when someone' free, or how much time they have for really frequent meetings.

I've seen situations like you describe where things work great for a year or two - and then people have another kid, or there's an illness, or a divorce, or someone decides to go back to school so they can get a better or different job, or they have parents who need more help. And if it's not well-managed, your group that's like family can suddenly feel very ostracising and exclusionary if you can't be free at the times everyone wants you to be.

That's part of why I've strongly preferred groups that have a wide range of ages and life stages - it's given me a lot more reassurance that if my life changes, that doesn't mean losing the group. It's not perfect (I got a lot of grief from my group that incredibly busy year because I wasn't available to hang out for purely social stuff or watch TV because I had homework due or other deadlines) but the actual group scheduling and expectations were clear, so I knew what I needed to balance to make that happen.

One quick note about quoting
I noticed you tend to quote the entire post you're responding to - that can actually make your replies harder to read.

The forum requires that you quote the post you're responding to, but the part we really care about is the quote code that links back to the specific post you're replying to. (That way, people can easily click back and reread the whole thing in context.)

Some people will quote and reply to specific sentences (as I've done here), but otherwise, it's fine to just quote a sentence or two, and cut the rest. It makes it a lot easier to read the forum without having to skim through a lot of material we've already seen.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 09:58:37 am »
That's got to be challenging - that's a very large group to keep close connections to. Both psychologically, and logistically. I'm just thinking about things like getting that many people in the same space comfortably in the average home, or the fact that that size of group will tend to split up into multiple different conversations pretty quickly."

They do, but it usually relates to the lesson. We meet at a rec center. Used to be the library. And I like challenges.

"I'd disagree (though that's probably a topic for a different thread). I know an awful lot of people, especially women, who were taught that being humble and deferring to the needs of others was more important than taking care of themselves, "
Not to that degree. They know to stay true to themselves and take care of them first and foremost. But it would be good to help others and not throw it in their faces that they're in a better place than others.

"That's a more reliable set of toddler bedtimes than many toddlers!"
Most of them babysat and studdied to work with children because the love the idea of being teachers or children's doctors, and what have you. Most of them are older than me too. I'm the odd one out.

"It sounds like most of your group are in a pretty similar life stage. Have you given thoughts to how that might need to change over time?"

I have, actually. For as long as it's been going, there have been many changes, we've adapted to them all so far. Life itself is full of changes, so how can I expect it all to stay the same?

"That's part of why I've strongly preferred groups that have a wide range of ages and life stages - it's given me a lot more reassurance that if my life changes, that doesn't mean losing the group. "

It's also harder to find anyone passed fourty who will listen to someone so young without attitude. I've tried a lot. It's iffy when the consider my age. They find it insulting for some reason.

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 10:00:04 am »
That's got to be challenging - that's a very large group to keep close connections to. Both psychologically, and logistically. I'm just thinking about things like getting that many people in the same space comfortably in the average home, or the fact that that size of group will tend to split up into multiple different conversations pretty quickly."

They do, but it usually relates to the lesson. We meet at a rec center. Used to be the library. And I like challenges.

I'd disagree (though that's probably a topic for a different thread). I know an awful lot of people, especially women, who were taught that being humble and deferring to the needs of others was more important than taking care of themselves
Not to that degree. They know to stay true to themselves and take care of them first and foremost. But it would be good to help others and not throw it in their faces that they're in a better place than others.

That's a more reliable set of toddler bedtimes than many toddlers!
Most of them babysat and studdied to work with children because the love the idea of being teachers or children's doctors, and what have you. Most of them are older than me too. I'm the odd one out.

It sounds like most of your group are in a pretty similar life stage. Have you given thoughts to how that might need to change over time?

I have, actually. For as long as it's been going, there have been many changes, we've adapted to them all so far. Life itself is full of changes, so how can I expect it all to stay the same?

That's part of why I've strongly preferred groups that have a wide range of ages and life stages - it's given me a lot more reassurance that if my life changes, that doesn't mean losing the group.

It's also harder to find anyone passed fourty who will listen to someone so young without attitude. I've tried a lot. It's iffy when the consider my age. They find it insulting for some reason.

(Well, I tried? O.o)

Edited to fix quoting: Jenett, 10:14am, 11/20/17
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:14:17 am by Jenett »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 10:12:27 am »
(Well, I tried? O.o)

Not quite right, alas - I'll go in and edit your post in a second.

You want the initial quote code you get in the reply, and then end the portion you're quoting with
Code: [Select]
[/quote]. You can quote future sections after the first one with
Code: [Select]
[quote]Text you're quoting[/quote]
If that doesn't work, just cut down the part you're responding to and do a single quote (keeping the link back) and indicating other quoted parts from someone else somehow. Like: You said: "Whatever."
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 11:47:57 am »
Not quite right, alas ...

If that doesn't work, just cut down the part you're responding to and do a single quote (keeping the link back) and indicating other quoted parts from someone else somehow. Like: You said: "Whatever."

What works for me in a complex, multi-thought post is to edit down the initial quote to just the point I'm replying to...

I'll go in and edit your post in a second.

Then using...

You want the initial quote code you get in the reply, and then end the portion you're quoting with...

The "Insert Quote" link at the top right of the previous posts displayed below the editing window...

You can quote future sections after the first one with...

to put a fresh copy of the quote (complete with back link) in your editing window...

If that doesn't work, just cut down the part you're responding to and do a single quote (keeping the link back)

...which you can then edit down to include only that point which you are presently writing in response to.

Like: You said: "Whatever."

[Whatever] works...and that works for me.  8)
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 07:51:30 pm »
Oh no, their class is one hour. I take three hours to myself and my practice. But, it's usually all fresh materials unless I get a new student and they want to go through everything. Which I'm fine with. It helps with bonding. As for how long I've been doing this for, I'll be 21 in May, so six years.

If you've been presenting new material twice a week for six years, how long does it usually take for a new student to catch up?

I've done some teaching, mostly English as a second language, and planning lessons from scratch is hard, especially if there are handouts or other materials to prepare. How much time does it take you to research and plan a class?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 10:49:32 am »
If you've been presenting new material twice a week for six years, how long does it usually take for a new student to catch up?

I've done some teaching, mostly English as a second language, and planning lessons from scratch is hard, especially if there are handouts or other materials to prepare. How much time does it take you to research and plan a class?
Trust me, it takes some time for students to catch up which is why I revisit with them and tutors personally. As far as a lesson plan, I spend three hours working corresponding points to where they'll understand, one hour to reflect on what I've written and come up with a question and ways to remember it. Then I take one hour to teach, and then there is one hour for them to ask questions as a group and to talk about it. If they still have questions after, they can still ask, but most times, they don't.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 04:45:34 pm »
Trust me, it takes some time for students to catch up which is why I revisit with them and tutors personally. As far as a lesson plan, I spend three hours working corresponding points to where they'll understand, one hour to reflect on what I've written and come up with a question and ways to remember it. Then I take one hour to teach, and then there is one hour for them to ask questions as a group and to talk about it. If they still have questions after, they can still ask, but most times, they don't.

That is a very demanding schedule you've set yourself!  I have a cycle of classes that repeats so only need a bit of updating and then if they dedicate  it's hands on practical work from then on.

Tags: coven afanas