collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Connecting with the natural world when there are obstacles  (Read 1731 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
So I asked this question previously within the Chavi Memorial Chronic Illness SIG, but with summer almost here I'd like to throw it open to everyone in case there are any new ideas to add to the original ones.

https://ecauldron.com/forum/chavi-memorial-chronic-illness-sig/connecting-with-the-natural-world-when-there-are-insufficient-spoons/msg217144/#msg217144

How do you connect with the natural world when there are barriers?

Maybe you live in the city and don't have easy access to transport; or maybe you work really long hours, or have dependents; or whatever the reason.

If the nature & the natural world's important to you in your path (as it is in mine), how do you keep the connection going in spite of the demands of modern life?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Connecting with the natural world when there are obstacles
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 06:34:52 pm »
So I asked this question previously within the Chavi Memorial Chronic Illness SIG, but with summer almost here I'd like to throw it open to everyone in case there are any new ideas to add to the original ones.

My health at the moment has me home bound. Luckily, I can see dense trees and foliage from our sliding glass door. We also have squirrels, chipmunks, a couple of shrews and occasional turkeys that can be watched.

When my husband and I lived in a small city in CT, we would find time by leaving about half an hour before our second shift jobs. We would go to a park and meditate before work.

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Left Hand Path with a dash of Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:51:56 pm »
If the nature & the natural world's important to you in your path (as it is in mine), how do you keep the connection going in spite of the demands of modern life?

My situation is kinda similar to Klaw's in that I'm homebound currently. I used to live near forests and rivers, in the middle of game fields with herds of elk appearing without a sound. I now live between a highway and semi-quiet small neighborhood. If I wanted to be anywhere with nature I'd have to drive and I haven't been able to for a while.

The ways I try to make up for said lack of nature in my life are through white noise apps and stuff like that. Having a lot of nature sounds, especially rain or the ocean helps a lot. I also have a variety of incense and essential oils that help remind me of nature. I really do miss being able to venture out into nature a bit more.
“It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." ~Salvador Dali

Failivrin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Gods of the Flesh
  • Religion: Church of X
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 09:05:48 pm »

Keep plants at home. Grow one or two, or a dozen, as you feel able. It's not the same as hiking a mountain, but I think you'll be surprised what a difference it makes in your overall mood. For many people, tending plants is a form of meditation. They also provide color and help keep your air clean.

Also, if you work indoors and there's any chance you can take your lunch break outside, do it. My last job, most people ate in a small, dimly lit, kind of smelly break room. I had an hour for lunch, so I would make a 15min drive to a green space with a lot of shade behind a local library.

These are just two of many possibilities!

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 01:07:20 am »

Maybe you live in the city and don't have easy access to transport; or maybe you work really long hours, or have dependents; or whatever the reason.

For me, the biggest challenge is making time to spend outside. I'm in an office all day and when I'm at home I'm in my stuffy chair. My solution has been to commit to daily walks. Biggest obstacles are asthma & allergies, but I can fight those with meds.

I find that if I don't go for a walk, I get cranky.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: