Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: C'mon admit to your pagan taboos  (Read 12014 times)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: C'mon admit to your pagan taboos
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 01:45:40 am »
Quote from: Scales;158190
Oh, Hedwig's 'Origin of Love' with its mish-mashed incorrect religions is one of my favourite things (either movie or NPH or probably any other versions).

Yep. Best thing. <3 Origin of Love so much.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 02:01:39 am »
Quote from: Tom;158238
As for pop culture practices, it usually refers to people venerating a figure seen in what is considered fiction or pop culture as a deity or hero figure. Also using magic inspired by the same sources or using theological ideas that originally come from them.

Which is a taboo I engage in a bit myself, though it's more on the latter part rather than the former.

Quote from: Scales;158247
In my case, spells and rituals based on pop culture, and openness to pop culture deities, and using them as archetypes, although I don't worship any. In other people's cases, it can be seeing characters as deities or spirits (based on a thoughtform theory, multiple-universe theory, or 'other god using this as a face' theory, usually) and/or worshipping them, using songs for spell words, and a number of other things. It's a rather open ended thing, so I'm probably missing a lot of options.

There seems to be a lot of hate for pop culture pagans/witchcraft, though not on this site as far as I've seen. Of course, I haven't got a huge sample size, and mostly see people who either practice it or hate it, with few in between, so I could be wrong about the tabooness.

Pop culture paganism can also include constructing a religion based off elements in fiction. F'ex, you'll notice "D'Angeline Recon" in my religion list. That means I'm in the process of making the D'Angeline religion in the Kushiel series a workable part of my life.

It's a very broad term and covers a lot of bases. Such as when I called in Leeloo Dallas for Spirit and ended a ritual with So Say We All instead of So Mote It Be. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 11:51:18 am »
Quote from: Morag;158388
Pop culture paganism can also include constructing a religion based off elements in fiction. F'ex, you'll notice "D'Angeline Recon" in my religion list. That means I'm in the process of making the D'Angeline religion in the Kushiel series a workable part of my life.

It's a very broad term and covers a lot of bases. Such as when I called in Leeloo Dallas for Spirit and ended a ritual with So Say We All instead of So Mote It Be. ;)

Or when I close a Unitarian Universalist church service with a benediction ripped straight from the Chant of Light. It is not my fault the Canticle of Benedictions works so well in a UU context.

Blessed are the peacekeepers, the champions of the just.
Blessed are the righteous, the lights in the shadow.

Of course, I tend to clip out the next bit about martyrs, blood, and the will of the Maker...

Alternatively this beautiful way to end any prayer or meditation comes from Chanter Devons of the Lothering Chantry:

The stars stood still, the winds did quiet, and all animals of earth and air held their breath
And all was silent in prayer and thanks.

This whole thread reminds me too that I have So Many Elder Scrolls Feels that I really need to address. Talos as an avatar of Thor? Hailing Sanguine when I'm drinking with friends? The fact that Azura is a liminal goddess (sort of, it's complicated with Daedra) of prophecy and protecting her people as a tutelary spirit and has celestial imagery out the wazoo and is totally relevant to my current religious interests?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2014, 09:10:44 pm »
Quote from: Sage;158403
Or when I close a Unitarian Universalist church service with a benediction ripped straight from the Chant of Light. It is not my fault the Canticle of Benedictions works so well in a UU context.

Of course, I tend to clip out the next bit about martyrs, blood, and the will of the Maker...

Alternatively this beautiful way to end any prayer or meditation comes from Chanter Devons of the Lothering Chantry:

This whole thread reminds me too that I have So Many Elder Scrolls Feels that I really need to address. Talos as an avatar of Thor? Hailing Sanguine when I'm drinking with friends? The fact that Azura is a liminal goddess (sort of, it's complicated with Daedra) of prophecy and protecting her people as a tutelary spirit and has celestial imagery out the wazoo and is totally relevant to my current religious interests?

Sorry for replying to the quote. That's just so weird for some reason this site won't let you reply to your own threads alone but I just had a bad experience today with California Psychics, I actually tried another one because the last one I was doing an expanded reading with wasn't available. Some guy I know online, apparently I've had many lives with him as a lover, and I'm not destined to be with him in this life. The other psychic had said we did have multiple past lives, she picked one up in New Orleans, 1800s or 1900s. (can't remember) and she had also said something about a shared destiny of meeting. And seeing him in a year. That one mentioned a long-term relationship.

:( I'm sad, I really love this guy even though we haven't met and I really want a relationship with him. Supposedly he's in on-off again relationship now but I still want him. I don't know what to think. I just don't. He's not the only guy I've ever had strong feeling for but I really feel the need for him.
PrincessKLS

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 05:48:39 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;158530
:( I'm sad, I really love this guy even though we haven't met and I really want a relationship with him. Supposedly he's in on-off again relationship now but I still want him. I don't know what to think. I just don't. He's not the only guy I've ever had strong feeling for but I really feel the need for him.

Is this the guy you wanted to cast the love spell on? Frankly, I think you need to get him out of your mind. If you haven't ever met him, and you haven't taken steps to meet him, I think you're probably just infatuated, and these "psychics" are picking up on that and telling you what you want to hear.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 09:52:37 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;158589
Is this the guy you wanted to cast the love spell on? Frankly, I think you need to get him out of your mind. If you haven't ever met him, and you haven't taken steps to meet him, I think you're probably just infatuated, and these "psychics" are picking up on that and telling you what you want to hear.

Honestly, I don't know, all I know is I've kept my memories and a journal of what was said and this was the first psychic that didn't give me hope of having a romantic relationship with the guy I love. No comment on rather or not it was the same guy I wanted to do a love spell on or not, or how I tried to meet him. I just know how I feel in my heart.
PrincessKLS

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2014, 10:18:33 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;158600
Honestly, I don't know, all I know is I've kept my memories and a journal of what was said and this was the first psychic that didn't give me hope of having a romantic relationship with the guy I love. No comment on rather or not it was the same guy I wanted to do a love spell on or not, or how I tried to meet him. I just know how I feel in my heart.
I only know what you've posted here, and honestly, going from that, my advice still stands.

Is it, in fact, the same guy? Because I'm asking you.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2014, 12:59:05 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;158602
I only know what you've posted here, and honestly, going from that, my advice still stands.

Is it, in fact, the same guy? Because I'm asking you.

Perhaps, but there's too much to say about this situation. We literately live miles apart from each other so it's not super easy to go see him.
PrincessKLS

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:40 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;158625
Perhaps, but there's too much to say about this situation. We literately live miles apart from each other so it's not super easy to go see him.

A number of us here (including me) have experience with long-distance relationships that started on the Internet, at substantial distance, and when budget was a big issue.

There's a reason the standard advice is "Don't assume there's a relationship until you actually meet in person." The Internet is awesome (and in fact, I've rarely been disappointed by meeting people in person I met initially online, in terms of them 'matching up' with the online interactions.)

But there's still a lot of stuff you don't know without meeting in person - including all the biological reactions to someone else that are about attraction and response. And you have no idea how they, say, treat people in service roles (waitstaff) or treat you when you're not focused on each other, or whether they leave their dirty laundry all over the room, or have some physical habit you can't stand. All of which tell you some things that might be useful to know if you're considering a relationship.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2014, 01:51:49 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;158627
A number of us here (including me) have experience with long-distance relationships that started on the Internet, at substantial distance, and when budget was a big issue.

There's a reason the standard advice is "Don't assume there's a relationship until you actually meet in person." The Internet is awesome (and in fact, I've rarely been disappointed by meeting people in person I met initially online, in terms of them 'matching up' with the online interactions.)

But there's still a lot of stuff you don't know without meeting in person - including all the biological reactions to someone else that are about attraction and response. And you have no idea how they, say, treat people in service roles (waitstaff) or treat you when you're not focused on each other, or whether they leave their dirty laundry all over the room, or have some physical habit you can't stand. All of which tell you some things that might be useful to know if you're considering a relationship.

+1. PrincessKLS, you've been mentioning him for a few months now; that's a lot of time to build up something in your head that may or may not click when you do meet. I'd advise either meeting ASAP or doing your best to let it go. I speak from experience.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:04 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;157767
One thing that comes to mind is actually going to see a psychic, either online, or at a tourist trap. Or worst at a major call center like californiapsychics.com.

I've never heard of this as a taboo, incidentally.  Nor thought it treated as such.

I mean, I get more value for my occasional wasted entertainment dollars out of flash games on Facebook, but that doesn't mean that other uses of resources are "taboo", just, well.  Insufficient fun for the buck, as I evaluate it.

(Very belatedly, but I'm deeply puzzled by the premise.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;158708
I've never heard of this as a taboo, incidentally.  Nor thought it treated as such.

I mean, I get more value for my occasional wasted entertainment dollars out of flash games on Facebook, but that doesn't mean that other uses of resources are "taboo", just, well.  Insufficient fun for the buck, as I evaluate it.

(Very belatedly, but I'm deeply puzzled by the premise.)

I have and not just by the anti-psychic Christian perspective. If you read through a couple of the comments in this thread you can see that some pagans are against the idea of going to major call centers like California Psychics because they believe they just do cold readings basically.
PrincessKLS

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2014, 04:45:55 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;158757
I have and not just by the anti-psychic Christian perspective. If you read through a couple of the comments in this thread you can see that some pagans are against the idea of going to major call centers like California Psychics because they believe they just do cold readings basically.

Yeah, but that's not a *taboo*, per se. That's a "If that's how you want to use your money, meh?"

There's a difference between the two. (If I'm going to pay for a reading, I'd like to have some idea of the skills of the person doing it, and I'd prefer to support people in my own community or who are known to me when I can. This is pretty consistent with my other buying habits, and not because of some Pagan taboo.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: