collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Breaking Away from Whining  (Read 1626 times)

Vella Malachite

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 54
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Breaking Away from Whining
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:50:52 am »
OK, I'll admit it right now, I whine to my gods a lot.  They must be getting incredibly sick of me.

I've been a bit out of sorts since I moved to college, I tend to go in cycles of being perfectly happy and ready for any challenge to completely down, both on myself and in terms of emotions.  This means that, while I have done some stuff like offerings and 'giving back' type exercises, a lot of my communication with them is me asking for help and complaining that I'm not good enough and such similarly whiny and frequently nonsensical things.

Is there anyone else who's had this problem?  Did you stop complaining and move to another form of communication, or did you fix the outside problem first so that you weren't complaining so much?

Thanks
 - Vella
The human brain is an amazing thing: it works twenty-four hours a day, every day from before we are born - except when we take exams.
If everything\'s under control, you\'re going too slowly.

Livia Indica

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 61
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking Away from Whining
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:16:39 am »
Quote from: Vella Malachite;15674
OK, I'll admit it right now, I whine to my gods a lot.  They must be getting incredibly sick of me.

I've been a bit out of sorts since I moved to college, I tend to go in cycles of being perfectly happy and ready for any challenge to completely down, both on myself and in terms of emotions.  This means that, while I have done some stuff like offerings and 'giving back' type exercises, a lot of my communication with them is me asking for help and complaining that I'm not good enough and such similarly whiny and frequently nonsensical things.

Is there anyone else who's had this problem?  Did you stop complaining and move to another form of communication, or did you fix the outside problem first so that you weren't complaining so much?

Thanks
 - Vella

 
I imagine we've all had our moments of perhaps relying too heavily on our deities and complaining to them. I think you need to think of them in a different way perhaps. They aren't there to necessarily fix your life or your problems for you. They can help you help yourself instead.

Vella Malachite

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 54
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking Away from Whining
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:24:51 am »
Quote from: Livia Indica;16140
I imagine we've all had our moments of perhaps relying too heavily on our deities and complaining to them. I think you need to think of them in a different way perhaps. They aren't there to necessarily fix your life or your problems for you. They can help you help yourself instead.

 
I've been trying asking them to help me help myself for a while now.  I wouldn't be surprised if I need to help myself a little bit first.  I'm trying, but it's hard.
The human brain is an amazing thing: it works twenty-four hours a day, every day from before we are born - except when we take exams.
If everything\'s under control, you\'re going too slowly.

Livia Indica

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 61
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking Away from Whining
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:33:28 pm »
Quote from: Vella Malachite;16298
I've been trying asking them to help me help myself for a while now.  I wouldn't be surprised if I need to help myself a little bit first.  I'm trying, but it's hard.


I know, it's hard as hell! Have you offered something in return for their help?

Vella Malachite

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 54
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking Away from Whining
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 02:49:31 am »
Quote from: Livia Indica;16424
I know, it's hard as hell! Have you offered something in return for their help?

 
Several things - baked goods, a questionably silver ring...
But I think the larger point at this stage is to say "alright, this has helped, but it's not going to take me all the way".
The human brain is an amazing thing: it works twenty-four hours a day, every day from before we are born - except when we take exams.
If everything\'s under control, you\'re going too slowly.

Livia Indica

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 61
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking Away from Whining
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:59:48 am »
Quote from: Vella Malachite;16562
Several things - baked goods, a questionably silver ring...
But I think the larger point at this stage is to say "alright, this has helped, but it's not going to take me all the way".

 
Well, that's the point. YOU have to take it all the way. I know it sound cliche but you've got to reach inside and do it yourself sometimes.

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: Breaking Away from Whining
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 02:59:34 pm »
Quote from: Vella Malachite;15674

Is there anyone else who's had this problem?  Did you stop complaining and move to another form of communication, or did you fix the outside problem first so that you weren't complaining so much?

 
Yes and no. I have a habit of talking too much in shrine. And there have been times when Set has told me to STFU. ANd when life gets hard, it's not uncommon for me to rattle on for quite a while about things that are happening, things that are going wrong, etc. I'm not asking for help so much as I'm just getting things off my chest. For the most part, he tolerates this. Sorta.

However, when I went through an angry phase, and that was tainting my complaining, he told me to stop. And kinda gave me the cold shoulder while I figured myself out. Guess it just depends on how 'legit' the complaining is.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
3014 Views
Last post March 23, 2012, 11:44:25 am
by Juni
5 Replies
534 Views
Last post September 29, 2013, 02:27:56 pm
by Viv
0 Replies
894 Views
Last post October 04, 2015, 06:50:22 pm
by Newsposter
Breaking The Ice

Started by Fog_Dreamer Introductions

2 Replies
763 Views
Last post December 08, 2016, 03:22:06 pm
by Morag
10 Replies
951 Views
Last post March 27, 2019, 08:34:37 pm
by EclecticWheel

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall