collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: B Is For Belief by Galina Krasskova.  (Read 1763 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
B Is For Belief by Galina Krasskova.
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:20:27 pm »
I started participating in the Pagan Blog Project this week. I even went back and backdated the two weeks that I missed. Since this began, though, I have been reading some of the other entrants' takes on the different letters. Galina Krasskova weighed in on the original topic I had chosen for my post yesterday, but failed to come up with an appealing entry.

Before I get too far off my point, I shall try to be clear: I don’t think belief is all that important, at least not in the way that so many contemporary Paganisms would have it (the way that they have learned from their monotheistic upbringings). The indigenous polytheisms which we are working to restore were far more orthopraxic than orthodoxic.

I remember several years ago, sitting with my adopted mom after a particularly grueling shamanic ordeal (on my part). We had just finished dinner and were talking and the subject of belief came up unexpectedly. She said, “You know, sometimes I don’t believe in the Gods at all. But even when I don’t believe I love Them.” I was stunned. Belief, up to this point, had never been an issue.

Those are two of the more powerful quotes that I found made me start to feel. What I was feeling, I can't really name it or put my finger on it. I know I feel something and I feel it deeply. I just can't quite say if I agree or disagree.

Why don't you weigh in?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:21:25 pm by SatSekhem »
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: B Is For Belief by Galina Krasskova.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:54 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;39833
I started participating in the Pagan Blog Project this week. I even went back and backdated the two weeks that I missed. Since this began, though, I have been reading some of the other entrants' takes on the different letters. Galina Krasskova weighed in on the original topic I had chosen for my post yesterday, but failed to come up with an appealing entry.

Those are two of the more powerful quotes that I found made me start to feel. What I was feeling, I can't really name it or put my finger on it. I know I feel something and I feel it deeply. I just can't quite say if I agree or disagree.

Why don't you weigh in?

Well, first off, I find it interesting that she mentions people relying on their monotheistic learnings but continues to capitalize gods and their pronouns. But, whatver, I don't know her backstory on that.

Secondly, shocker, I agree with her. Belief wasn't important, isn't important, to those of use who are more orthopraxic, who feel that the world operates on proper behavior whether that be directed by a guy with one eye, or by basic earth science. Our world has laws and so we follow laws. Usually this helps us survive and prosper.

Proper behavior wasn't followed because belief brings reward, it was followed, in part, because we play a role in the survival, prosperity and order of the world. And this just was and not on a matter of faith.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:04:28 am by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags: