collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Are You a God-Slave? Will You Be?  (Read 34061 times)

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Are You a God-Slave? Will You Be?
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2012, 08:14:07 am »
Quote from: celestialwolf;16656
I would equate that to being a monk or nun. I feel that is different than serving the Gods.
I think that it's a more proper way of putting it. God - slave can sound harsh and lead to major misconceptions.

Cheers!

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2012, 04:17:32 pm »
Quote from: ccardinot;42875
I think that it's a more proper way of putting it. God - slave can sound harsh and lead to major misconceptions.

Cheers!

But why would I use a term that is more commonly attributed to a Christian religion (although the terms can and are applied to non-Christian religious members)? That seems to me it would cause way more confusion, and has quite a bit of baggage attached to those terms. So I don't know if calling myself a "pagan nun" is any more proper.

(Although I've heard and found a lot of material published by monks or nuns about living ascetic lives are often very appealing to pagan ascetics.)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2012, 11:36:39 am »
Quote from: ccardinot;42875

Cheers!

However, god-slave is a more accurate term for my path.  Using monk or nun just doesn't work.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2013, 07:13:14 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;16631
In the book that I've been reading, I've stumbled upon the phrase "god-slave" which both intrigued me and worried me and disgusted me and terrified me. From what I have gathered, the terminology is similar to that of having a patron deity, however, instead of merely having this divine parent, so to speak, loving you and offering you encouragement from afar, you have literally dedicated your every waking second to the patron that has chosen you.

Let me reiterate:

You have completely dedicated your entire life to this god/dess that has chosen you.

At least... I think. I think that's the reasoning behind that terminology.

The reason I stumbled upon all of this confusing morass was because of Galina Krasskova, free range tribalist heathen and the article written on patheos that I've linked here. Specifically, she says:

I was just wondering... how do you guys feel about all of this?

Personally, I can see my relationship with Sekhmet heading in this direction. So far, she's been the distant parent coaxing me to live my life appropriately. So far, she's been there to pick me up when I'm down and to yell at me when I'm wrong and to give me encouragement when I need it most. That's where she is now: she's teaching me and letting me come to conclusions on my own and I think, at some point, she would enjoy having me become a god-slave.

Honestly, I don't think I'm at all ready for that level of commitment. All joking about commitment phobias aside, it's a really big step. It's ten times more serious, to me, than marrying the significant other that you love. It's thirty times more important than anything else that I could do on this plane of existence. To me, it's important, but I just... I can't even imagine giving of myself so completely to my Hubby. How can I get that way with Sekhmet?

If that is the direction that I am heading, and something inside of me is saying yes very clearly, then I think I have a long way to go before I get there. I'm excited at having something so clearly to look forward to but I'm also... leery. It's... so much. Just. So much.

Technically, yes. For me, godslave means someone who was claimed by their patron(s) and who could be called to service by the god/s at any time.
Conformity is the death of individualism

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2013, 09:00:52 am »
Quote from: outlaw393;95579
Technically, yes. For me, godslave means someone who was claimed by their patron(s) and who could be called to service by the god/s at any time.

Ummm, no.  Just....no.  Did you read the rest of this thread?

Based on your recent posts, the last thing I'd think you'd call yourself is a godslave.  It requires, IME, much more dedication and effort than your posts indicate you've shown to date.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Are You a God-Slave? Will You Be?
« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;95579

It also indicates a long-term commitment, being *in* service for the long haul. Slaves don't get to ragequit, call their masters all kinds of nasty names, and be right back to them once said slaves' tempers cool. When a deity owns you, you're not the most important player in the relationship. (I'm comfortable using the term "owned," but not describing myself as a godslave. It's weird.)
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;95682
(I'm comfortable using the term "owned," but not describing myself as a godslave. It's weird.)

Yeah, I don't use the term either even though I consider myself obligated to follow direct orders from my deities. I do consider myself to be a servant, thus the name "Gilbride" (servant of Brighid). I guess I see "slavery" as something imposed on you and "service" as a free commitment to serve (no matter how all-encompassing your service). It's not that I object to the term, though, I just don't use it.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;95658
Ummm, no.  Just....no.  Did you read the rest of this thread?

Based on your recent posts, the last thing I'd think you'd call yourself is a godslave.  It requires, IME, much more dedication and effort than your posts indicate you've shown to date.

I'm claimed, and could be called to service at any time. Hence, godslave. That's my UPG.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:13:35 pm by outlaw393 »

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2013, 03:33:52 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;95699
I'm claimed, and could be called to service at any time. Hence, godslave. That's my UPG.

And if you might be called to service but are determined to not serve, BY YOUR loud proclamation, there's no service getting done - thus claim or no claim makes no difference. 'No religion, no gods' is not compatible with being a god-servant, devotee or spirit-worker, let alone godslave.

Facts beat UPG (which by way stands for Unverified Personal Gnosis which is not equal to 'my opinion' as you seem to be implying here).
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2013, 03:35:30 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;95699

The problem is you're using the word in a way that feels highly offensive to people called to that role.

You're constantly talking about your REFUSALS.  Your anger, your disgust, your mistreatment.  This isn't the relationship of a lesser to a greater, with you as the lesser.

Yes, you can call it whatever you want.  It's your life.  But you can't go around slapping UPG on it as though that excuses everything.

You DO NOT ACT as /godslave/ means.  What you post looks far more like a messed-up romantic relationship.  That's an entirely different relationship, different concept, different worldview.

You can claim you're a godslave until you're blue in the face - but if you don't act like one, people aren't going to believe you.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2013, 03:42:27 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;95706

You can claim you're a godslave until you're blue in the face - but if you don't act like one, people aren't going to believe you.

I honestly don't care if people believe me or not. My definition is my own. You all can go live in your own world with your own definition. Again, I don't care.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 08, 2013, 04:06:23 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;95708
I honestly don't care if people believe me or not. My definition is my own. You all can go live in your own world with your own definition. Again, I don't care.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean- neither more nor less."

There's glory for you!

Marilyn
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:09:04 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #237 on: February 08, 2013, 04:12:24 pm »
My definition is my own.

That was kinda the point. :whis:
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #238 on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:01 pm »

That's all well and fine, but when you claim to be a thing that, by common definition, you aren't, people get a little--or sometimes a lot--annoyed. Words mean things. You can't just co-opt them for your own use and claim it's UPG.

You might feel called to be a god-slave, but from your posts, you don't sound. . . well, you don't sound like you fit into the role yet. That doesn't reflect badly on you. You're just in a different place in terms of spiritual development. Given time and lots of hard work, you'll get where you want to be (or at least where you need to be).

You've said you don't trust your god, he's a liar, etc. From what I understand about god-slavery, there's a deep amount of trust and surrender in the relationship. And the focus is on what that god/dess needs or wants. If someone talks as you do about their relationship with a god/dess, it just doesn't sound like it's god-slavery time. At least yet.

I feel called to be a god-slave, too, but I refuse to call myself that until it's time. Words mean things. UPG will not bend reality to your will, nor will it change the meaning of words.

UPG is not a catch-all for everything in the universe. My suggestion to you would be to pick a different term.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 08, 2013, 05:52:39 pm »
Quote from: Shine;95725
That's all well and fine, but when you claim to be a thing that, by common definition, you aren't, people get a little--or sometimes a lot--annoyed. Words mean things. You can't just co-opt them for your own use and claim it's UPG.

You might feel called to be a god-slave, but from your posts, you don't sound. . . well, you don't sound like you fit into the role yet. That doesn't reflect badly on you. You're just in a different place in terms of spiritual development. Given time and lots of hard work, you'll get where you want to be (or at least where you need to be).

You've said you don't trust your god, he's a liar, etc. From what I understand about god-slavery, there's a deep amount of trust and surrender in the relationship. And the focus is on what that god/dess needs or wants. If someone talks as you do about their relationship with a god/dess, it just doesn't sound like it's god-slavery time. At least yet.

I feel called to be a god-slave, too, but I refuse to call myself that until it's time. Words mean things. UPG will not bend reality to your will, nor will it change the meaning of words.

UPG is not a catch-all for everything in the universe. My suggestion to you would be to pick a different term.

I might have to slightly agree with someone on this thread that said they didn't like the term godslave because the term slave has such negative connotations.

Maybe I'm more like a god-observer right now. I believe in them. But I don't follow or actively worship them right now.

Tags: