collapse

Author Topic: Apps for Spirituality?  (Read 4122 times)

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2810
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 32
    • View Profile
Apps for Spirituality?
« on: November 04, 2011, 02:45:19 am »
I finally took the plunge.  I had to face the fact that my beloved Blackberry -- which has held my life for the last few years -- was on its last legs.  

So, out with the Blackberry and in with the Android.

I spent an embarassingly long time browsing through apps today, which made me wonder what sorts of apps y'all might use to assist with spirituality-related things.

I've got a pretty good sun/moon widget.  And I know I need to spend some time setting my google calendars up with reminders for my various Cill shifts.

Any other interesting apps out there?
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Juniperberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 1891
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:26 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;28803
I finally took the plunge.  I had to face the fact that my beloved Blackberry -- which has held my life for the last few years -- was on its last legs.  

So, out with the Blackberry and in with the Android.

I spent an embarassingly long time browsing through apps today, which made me wonder what sorts of apps y'all might use to assist with spirituality-related things.

I've got a pretty good sun/moon widget.  And I know I need to spend some time setting my google calendars up with reminders for my various Cill shifts.

Any other interesting apps out there?



There's a Daily Asatru app that gives a daily stanza of the havamal, voluspa or runes, for easy memorization or meditation.

I don't have it,  though. It reminds me too much of that Daily Bread Christian pamphlet and I don't really want to take that step. Might be good for someone interested in learning the runes, though.

You can also download the Kindle app. There are quite a few mythology books that are now public domain, along with all the ones available for purchase.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Jenett

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Boston, MA
  • Posts: 2987
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 528
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:05 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;28803

I spent an embarassingly long time browsing through apps today, which made me wonder what sorts of apps y'all might use to assist with spirituality-related things.

 
I'm an iPhone user, so most of the actual apps don't cross over, (but I'm going to talk about them in case the types are handy.)

- A really good note app. (I use AwesomeNote, which has very nice design.) I keep a folder of notes for spiritually-related things.

- Astrology : I use Susan Miller's Astrology app, which is not for Android, but I'm sure there are other decent ones out there. (I've found her moderately accurate, and generally amusing. I use it as a "things to pay more attention to today" trigger than anything else.)

- iPause, which is a labyrinth-walking app (you can trace the pattern on the screen, or follow a dot as it moves through. Multiple layout options.)

- BreathPacer, which is designed more for health purposes, but is really awesome in being a simple trigger for breath-driven meditation work. (You set how long you want the inhale, exhale, and pauses to be, and it gives you quiet sound cues. Also has a timer, so you can do 10 minutes, or whatever.) This one has an Android version.

- Perpetuum, which is my favorite "where's the moon?" app. Gorgeous interface.

- Runes, which is an app from Kari Tauring, a heathen musician and teacher from Minnesota. (Awesome performer.)

Also highly used  but not directly spiritual most of the time, in case they're useful in sparking an idea for someone)

- ebook readers of various kinds (currently, Bluefire, Kindle, and iBooks apps.)

- a stitch counting app for knitting

- Instapaper, which lets me mark things to be read later, and then read them using the app.

- Star Walk, a totally awesome iOs astronomy app: using the GPS stuff, it figures out where you are, you point it at the sky, and it tells you what stars you're looking at. (iOS only, but there may be something similar for Android.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

stephyjh

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1597
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;28826
- Astrology : I use Susan Miller's Astrology app, which is not for Android, but I'm sure there are other decent ones out there. (I've found her moderately accurate, and generally amusing. I use it as a "things to pay more attention to today" trigger than anything else.)

Her app for Android is Astrology Zone Premier. Costs about $2, but with the exception of  tapatalk, I don't pay for apps, so I can't comment on functionality.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tana

Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:25:00 am »
Quote from: Jenett;28826

- BreathPacer, which is designed more for health purposes, but is really awesome in being a simple trigger for breath-driven meditation work. (You set how long you want the inhale, exhale, and pauses to be, and it gives you quiet sound cues. Also has a timer, so you can do 10 minutes, or whatever.) This one has an Android version.

*snip*

- Star Walk, a totally awesome iOs astronomy app: using the GPS stuff, it figures out where you are, you point it at the sky, and it tells you what stars you're looking at. (iOS only, but there may be something similar for Android.)



If I ever get such a phone I want those two!
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

SatSekhem

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 995
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:12 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;28803
Any other interesting apps out there?

 
I use Galaxy Tarot, but the free version. I like it. Whoever created the program, I feel, did a very decent job with the explanations of each cards. In the free version, there are only three Tarot spreads available (three card pull; Celtic cross; relationship spread). I mostly use it for my daily card since I'm too lazy to pull out my cards for the most part. Er. Well... normally, too lazy. :ashamed:

I just downloaded a breathing app that's supposed to help you focus your breathing, at the suggestion of Jenett. Unfortunately, I lost power for a week right after downloading so I don't know if it's a good one or not.

Aside from that, I haven't found a lot of decent pagan-related (free) apps for my Android. I'll keep an eyeball out for you, though.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatSekhem

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 995
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:28:41 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;28803
I finally took the plunge.  I had to face the fact that my beloved Blackberry -- which has held my life for the last few years -- was on its last legs.  

So, out with the Blackberry and in with the Android.

I spent an embarassingly long time browsing through apps today, which made me wonder what sorts of apps y'all might use to assist with spirituality-related things.

I've got a pretty good sun/moon widget.  And I know I need to spend some time setting my google calendars up with reminders for my various Cill shifts.

Any other interesting apps out there?

 
What app do you have for your sun/moon?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Micheál

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Belfast, N. Ireland
  • Posts: 566
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 14
    • View Profile
    • Gall-Ghael
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 01:10:33 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;28803
I finally took the plunge.  I had to face the fact that my beloved Blackberry -- which has held my life for the last few years -- was on its last legs.  

So, out with the Blackberry and in with the Android.

I spent an embarassingly long time browsing through apps today, which made me wonder what sorts of apps y'all might use to assist with spirituality-related things.

I've got a pretty good sun/moon widget.  And I know I need to spend some time setting my google calendars up with reminders for my various Cill shifts.

Any other interesting apps out there?

I have an HTC that's annoyingly slow, so I don't use it often for things that need a connection. Like others above, I mainly use 2 apps I have for the Sun&Moon signs. There's an alright Irish language called Gaelfón that I like as well.

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2810
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 03:51:31 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;28979
What app do you have for your sun/moon?

 
I'm testing 2, at the moment, both free aps:  Lunafaqt and LunaSolCal Mobile.

LunaSolCal Mobile has pretty much every piece of info I could possibly want: sun and moon rising and setting times, moon phase, length of day, position info, etc.  But it doesn't have a widget or a lunar calendar (I mean, organized to show you a month calendar with the moon phases indicated).

Lunafaqt has a nice little moon widget that shows the moon phase graphically, with rise and set times also displayed, and another widget that shows both the moon and the sun with their rise and set times.  Tapping on it takes you to a full page with lunar info, as well as a full lunar calendar.

Right now, I have the Lunafaqt moon widget on my home page, next to the Weather Channel sun widget.  

I've also just downloaded Google Sky Maps, but haven't played with it yet.  

Next up is a compass and a level.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Etheric1

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 421
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;29049
I'm testing 2, at the moment, both free aps:  Lunafaqt and LunaSolCal Mobile.

LunaSolCal Mobile has pretty much every piece of info I could possibly want: sun and moon rising and setting times, moon phase, length of day, position info, etc.  But it doesn't have a widget or a lunar calendar (I mean, organized to show you a month calendar with the moon phases indicated).

Lunafaqt has a nice little moon widget that shows the moon phase graphically, with rise and set times also displayed, and another widget that shows both the moon and the sun with their rise and set times.  Tapping on it takes you to a full page with lunar info, as well as a full lunar calendar.

Right now, I have the Lunafaqt moon widget on my home page, next to the Weather Channel sun widget.  

I've also just downloaded Google Sky Maps, but haven't played with it yet.  

Next up is a compass and a level.

 
StarWalk is a great app.  It's not pagan though, but it shows the night sky - constellations, what times planets and the moon rise and set, what the sky looks like at various times (ie: you can see what the sky looked like in the early 1800s on a given date).  It's gorgeous and I recommend it to anyone.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2810
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 07:21:26 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;29057
StarWalk is a great app.  It's not pagan though, but it shows the night sky - constellations, what times planets and the moon rise and set, what the sky looks like at various times (ie: you can see what the sky looked like in the early 1800s on a given date).  It's gorgeous and I recommend it to anyone.

 
That sounds similar to Google Sky.  

Does anyone know how they compare?
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SatSekhem

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 995
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Apps for Spirituality?
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 08:11:30 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;29063
That sounds similar to Google Sky.  

Does anyone know how they compare?

 
I downloaded the sky thing. However, it stores itself on my phone and knocked out what little memory I had left. I have since uninstalled it. :mad: Can anyone recommend a star app that automatically loads onto the SD card?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
1834 Views
Last post August 08, 2012, 09:21:59 pm
by Mithril
13 Replies
1014 Views
Last post August 08, 2013, 08:47:22 am
by Darkhawk
6 Replies
674 Views
Last post November 18, 2013, 09:05:46 pm
by Bear-craft
1 Replies
581 Views
Last post December 09, 2013, 04:11:26 am
by Jack
12 Replies
1095 Views
Last post February 15, 2017, 03:16:04 am
by AsraiDouglas

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall