Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Actual chicken soup for the soul  (Read 11920 times)

keen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • rotwork
  • Religion: fringe devotional polytheism, animism, spirit-working
Re: Actual chicken soup for the soul
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 12:37:38 pm »
So my question is, what works of literature do you find are spiritually nourishing for you?

I don't actually read fiction very often, and my re-reads are few and far between to be quite honest.

If I'm feeling low and need an emotional palate cleanser, I usually go for cheap pulp books. Jack Higgins and that sort. I buy 'em for a couple dollars at the used book store, then donate them again when I'm done! The only material I tend to re-read for the sake of 'chicken-souping' is actually poetry: I had a small volume of Robinson Jeffers' work just for the purpose, but lent it to someone and never got it back. There's a Wendell Berry book of poetry that I put on the backburner a few months ago that might provide me with a similar sense of peace, though I have to comb through the pieces more.

Writing Down the Bones might also wind up falling into the same category; its straightforward, piecemeal structure means I could just flip to an essay at random and read for a few minutes if I need an inspiring pick-me-up.

Though really, as a writer, I mostly turn to creation rather than consumption when I'm feeling low. I'll chip away at stories or doodle.
rotwork: on devotion to lesser-known and un-known gods, transplanting genus loci, art, and modernity

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 06:35:18 pm »
I buy 'em for a couple dollars at the used book store, then donate them again when I'm done!

I thought I was the only one that did that!

Though really, as a writer, I mostly turn to creation rather than consumption when I'm feeling low. I'll chip away at stories or doodle.

I have trouble composing when I'm in a down mood ... but I do re-read my own work, on the reasoning "if you want something done right, do it yourself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 08:56:22 pm »
- The Gunslinger by Stephen King. I love genre mashups, but it's the tone & voice that really hook me. Every damn time.

You like the first one best? It's my favourite of the series, but most people I know consider it the worst of the lot.

keen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • rotwork
  • Religion: fringe devotional polytheism, animism, spirit-working
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 11:08:00 pm »
I thought I was the only one that did that!

Of course, my husband came around to snarkily remind us that "psst - that's how libraries work".  ::)

I have trouble composing when I'm in a down mood ... but I do re-read my own work, on the reasoning "if you want something done right, do it yourself."

Oh lordy, if I do this when I'm in a down mood, I'll usually pick out all my mistakes and start editing...
rotwork: on devotion to lesser-known and un-known gods, transplanting genus loci, art, and modernity

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:07 pm »
Of course, my husband came around to snarkily remind us that "psst - that's how libraries work".  ::)

Ah, but libraries don't let you keep a book on your to-read pile until you're in the mood for it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 04:57:00 pm »
So my question is, what works of literature do you find are spiritually nourishing for you?
I like compilations of short stories. I like sherlock holmes stories for example.  :)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 06:20:05 pm »
I like compilations of short stories. I like sherlock holmes stories for example.  :)

Is it mostly mystery stories that you like, or any kind? Are there any Greek authors that you would recommend to the rest of us?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 03:47:01 pm »
Is it mostly mystery stories that you like, or any kind? Are there any Greek authors that you would recommend to the rest of us?
I read any kind and Mystery genre is by far my favorite. :) I also like sci-fi and fantasy. A greek author I like is Yiannis Maris. He wrote mystery stories. I like antonis samarakis, he wrote angst short stories. I also like poems. A poet I like is kostis palamas.

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 10:57:39 pm »

Honestly my go to books for when I'm sad or feeling off are:

Anything Stephen King
The Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz
This Perfect Day - Ira Levin
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
The Dragon and The Unicorn - A. A. Attanasio
Animal Farm - George Orwell
1984 - George Orwell
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Also, strangely enough a book that picked me. Fifteen Dogs - André Alexis. I still don't know why it picked me but I am reading it through for a third time currently. There is a message somewhere I'm sure of it.

I guess the general theme is "It could be DEFINITELY worse. Also Odd Thomas is lovable and I adore him."

Edited to add a book I forgot
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:01:29 pm by LadyBug »

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 11:53:42 pm »
It could be DEFINITELY worse.

That's the general vibe I get from your list, for sure!
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 06:42:49 am »

I've amassed a list of go-to titles for when I need some warm fuzzies.

I'm just browsing old threads because no one else is awake.  But it occurs to me that the reason I didn't respond to this one before is that I'm feeling such a total disconnect between my answers and what others are posting, or even from the idea of "spiritual nourishment" being basically synonymous with self-care.

I need to be in a really good mood to be able to process emotions at all, so reading any work of fiction above kindergarten level is not something I could do when I need comfort above all else.

On a very few occasions when I've been totally emotionally destroyed (as in permanent betrayal/loss of loved ones kind of thing) I actually have gone to Dr. Suess and watching Pokemon cartoons for a few weeks, but usually what I find restores my equilibrium best is either going to be a read-through of Sun-Tzu's Art of War or similar Taoist texts, or things that otherwise offer a practical course of instruction in some specific way( like literally Bob Vila et al.). 

I sort of feel like I must be really broken if what's in this thread is the way other people do it.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 06:47:24 pm »
I sort of feel like I must be really broken if what's in this thread is the way other people do it.

Hey, 'different' does not mean 'wrong', nor does 'common' mean 'normal'. Considering the wide diversity of people on this forum, I would be very surprised to find anything that everyone here does the same way.

Also keep in mind that the people who reply to a thread are self-selecting; it's not exactly an unbiased sample. Maybe we're the weird ones and we just happened to clump together in this thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 10:04:06 am »
I didn't respond to this one before is that I'm feeling such a total disconnect between my answers and what others are posting

I think I didn't respond because when I'm feeling really low reading is not my go to thing to do, I'll more likely vegetate in front of some TV (preferably a series of which I've got multiple seasons recorded/available on demand which I can binge watch my way through).

Once I do start to feel a bit better then it'll be Terry Pratchett's Discworld series I'll read (or re-read) most of, though.  Anything new to me or requiring much more concentration needs me to be in at least a reasonably good state to start with.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 11:57:15 am »
I think I didn't respond because when I'm feeling really low reading is not my go to thing to do,

Honestly, not mine either. I like reading, but my favorite form of escapism is computer gaming, mostly RPGs and Grand Strategy Games.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 09:19:52 am »
Honestly, not mine either. I like reading, but my favorite form of escapism is computer gaming, mostly RPGs and Grand Strategy Games.

Oh yes video games can be good escapism indeed and I too like a good RPG - I've heard of strategy games, but not Grand Strategy Games; is there a difference?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: