collapse

* Recent Posts

Re: Calling on Deity During Stressful Times by Jenett
[Yesterday at 08:01:08 pm]


Re: Calling on Deity During Stressful Times by Morag
[Yesterday at 06:39:44 pm]


Re: The 2021 Gender Census is Open! by Morag
[Yesterday at 06:11:41 pm]


Re: Spring Mysteries Festival 2021 (Online) by Morag
[Yesterday at 05:54:25 pm]


Re: Calling on Deity During Stressful Times by Kylara
[Yesterday at 12:55:11 pm]

Author Topic: Hobbies: Roman Dodecahedron Knitting  (Read 3228 times)

beachglass

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 239
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Roman Dodecahedron Knitting
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:11:43 pm »
Via a thread on Ravelry, a knitter suggests they've found the purpose of the mysterious Roman dodecahedron: glove making ().

It's a variation on a French knitter if you can't watch the video.

I watched his demonstration, but to be honest I think I could knock out five glove fingers in much less time on double-pointed needles and at a smaller gauge too. Cool idea though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:07:53 pm by RandallS »
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Sefiru

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: In the walls
  • Posts: 2201
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 574
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Dodecahedron Knitting
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:01:13 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;149446
It's a variation on a French knitter if you can't watch the video.


 
I want one of those now.

yewberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1775
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Dodecahedron Knitting
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;149446
I watched his demonstration, but to be honest I think I could knock out five glove fingers in much less time on double-pointed needles and at a smaller gauge too. Cool idea though.

 
I can knit all 8 glove fingers at one time on one long circ using both ends of a cake of yarn.  The demo seems almost hilariously inefficient, although I admire the process-for-the-sake-of-process...that's pretty silly.

Brina

beachglass

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 239
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Dodecahedron Knitting
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:51:41 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;149510
I can knit all 8 glove fingers at one time on one long circ using both ends of a cake of yarn.  The demo seems almost hilariously inefficient, although I admire the process-for-the-sake-of-process...that's pretty silly.

 
Wait, eight fingers on one needle with two working strands? How do they not end up all stuck together? :confused:
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

yewberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1775
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Dodecahedron Knitting
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 06:07:18 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;149513
Wait, eight fingers on one needle with two working strands? How do they not end up all stuck together? :confused:


Sorry.  I didn't mean you have all the fingers on two strands.  You have all the fingers on one needle (these are finger-down gloves), but you do have to break the yarn.  But when you get to the hand part you can use both ends of one yarn cake.  It's a pretty cool way to knit two things without forgetting rows on one.  Not that I ever do that...  :whis:

Brina

beachglass

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 239
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Dodecahedron Knitting
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;149520
Sorry.  I didn't mean you have all the fingers on two strands.  You have all the fingers on one needle (these are finger-down gloves), but you do have to break the yarn.  But when you get to the hand part you can use both ends of one yarn cake.  It's a pretty cool way to knit two things without forgetting rows on one.  Not that I ever do that...  :whis:

 
Darn, I thought I was about to get initiated into some Real Knitting Magic. :)

I've heard of the 2AAT on circulars method but never tried it, as I am one of those weird people who actually like knitting on DPNs. Someday I'm going to learn to double-knit one sock inside the other (sometime after the 30+ projects already in the knitting/crocheting/sewing queue).
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

yewberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1775
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Dodecahedron Knitting
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:18:46 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;149759
Darn, I thought I was about to get initiated into some Real Knitting Magic.


Nawp, no such luck.  But if you ever find out, lemme know, okay?

Quote
I've heard of the 2AAT on circulars method but never tried it, as I am one of those weird people who actually like knitting on DPNs. Someday I'm going to learn to double-knit one sock inside the other (sometime after the 30+ projects already in the knitting/crocheting/sewing queue).

 
I actually don't mind DPNs either.  It's more a matter of problematic storage (my stainless DPNs fall out--and I hate wood/bamboo 'cause it slows me down) and the fact that it's easier keeping track of one thing than four or five.

Brina

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
2183 Views
Last post August 09, 2012, 07:23:32 pm
by SunflowerP
1 Replies
1072 Views
Last post August 26, 2012, 05:47:11 pm
by RandallS
5 Replies
786 Views
Last post September 19, 2012, 07:14:42 pm
by NibbleKat
5 Replies
2675 Views
Last post July 08, 2014, 02:23:03 pm
by Merin
2 Replies
2241 Views
Last post November 09, 2020, 11:34:34 am
by BlindRobertBrown

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 45
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal