collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Hobbies: Looking for Crafts to do  (Read 5259 times)

Zythan

• View Profile
Looking for Crafts to do
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:40:47 pm »
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I was looking for some crafts or something to do this summer related to Paganism, as a new follower of the path and for an outlet for my creativity. I tried searching around for some "Pagan crafts", but nothing really came up.

I'm not very good with woodwork nor do I have an interest in sewing really, but I'm open to any ideas :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:25:07 pm by RandallS »

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Re: Looking for Crafts to do
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »
Quote from: Zythan;61618
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I was looking for some crafts or something to do this summer related to Paganism, as a new follower of the path and for an outlet for my creativity. I tried searching around for some "Pagan crafts", but nothing really came up.

I'm not very good with woodwork nor do I have an interest in sewing really, but I'm open to any ideas :)

Thanks!
Honestly?

I find any bit of art a potential outlet for your beliefs.  If you paint, you can paint things of a spiritual/deity-related/path-related nature.  Woodwork can be carvings of your gods or the elements, etc.  Statue-work can be whatever you want it to be.

For me, as long as you are putting your faith INTO something you're creating, what you are creating expresses your faith.

Having said that, this bit of Deviant Art might help stir some ideas:
http://pagancrafts.deviantart.com/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:06:34 pm by NibbleKat »
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Zythan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:21:36 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;61621
Honestly?

I find any bit of art a potential outlet for your beliefs.  If you paint, you can paint things of a spiritual/deity-related/path-related nature.  Woodwork can be carvings of your gods or the elements, etc.  Statue-work can be whatever you want it to be.

For me, as long as you are putting your faith INTO something you're creating, what you are creating expresses your faith.

Having said that, this bit of Deviant Art might help stir some ideas:
http://pagancrafts.deviantart.com/

I may have put that a bit wrongly. I've just run out of ideas for things to do, and really wanted to make something for my altar or room, and couldn't think of much. I'll open myself up more, but I'll definitely check out that Deviant account. Thanks!

Aryel32

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:54:13 am »

Thanks!

• Learn to Knit/Crochet and make Prayer Shawls
  • Experiment with beading by making a Pagan Rosary
  • Or join me in my next textile/geometric brain challenge by trying to figure out how to make a bad ass "Eye of God" wall hanging like This. I want to make one of those so bad. It's so freaking gorgeous. The guy has a whole series of them in different colors. This Particular one is one I want to make for myself. SO PRETTY!
  • Try playing with cement and making stepping stones for your house infused with pebbles and stones and polished glass to look like a cool mix or use the pebbles/etc to spell out inspirational words that will welcome you as you walk into your home.
  • Make a
q=besom&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ&min=0&max=0]Besom [/URL]
  • Start a garden
That's about all the ideas I have that don't involve sewing. Happy crafting!

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:56:56 am »
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I was looking for some crafts or something to do this summer related to Paganism, as a new follower of the path and for an outlet for my creativity.

Paganism isn't one path.  It's many, often disparate ones.  Look at the mythology of your gods.  Maybe something about them will guide you to a specific, dedicatory craft.

Brina

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »

Thanks!

http://silversnowyraven.blogspot.com/p/wiccan-and-pagan-craft-ideas.html

Amo_Angelus

• View Profile
    • http://www.amoangelus.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 03:31:08 pm »
. I was looking for some crafts or something to do this summer related to Paganism, as a new follower of the path and for an outlet for my creativity.

Well that would depend entirely upon your path and what you actually enjoy doing.
My three main hobbies are Sewing, Embroidery and knitting. I'm currently working on a design book of knitted items based around myths, and while you have the none religious myths such as Tristan and Isolde, there are a few that relate to my belief system such as the Gaea myth. Gaea is actually my mother goddess and I designed a shrug that represents her, designed and knitted it. Because it was made while I was focusing on her, it's been imbued with that energy, and because the design reflects the aspects of the goddess it helps me focus on her.
I'm currently cross stitching a four section design of a seasonal dragon. Yellow dragon surrounded by flowers for spring, green surrounded by leaves for summer, orange and falling leaves and nuts, silver purple with snow...dragons are one of my power animals and the seasonal aspect of it ties in with the very core of my belief system. Pagan craft.
I'm not currently sewing anything pagan, but I have got an idea for an alter cloth...

I don't think anyone here can actually tell you what craft to use, that has to be your personal thing. What do you enjoy? But I'm pretty sure that whatever your craft is, someone here will be able to think up a way to make it relate to their belief system.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 04:14:48 pm »

This link to salt dough clay recipes
courtesy Juniperberry. I haven't tried any myself, to see how well (or badly) they hold color or erode or break or melt in humid weather or whatnot, but it sounds like a pretty awesome alternative to pottery (which, I think, is already awesome, though messy, and fussy with kilns and glaze.)

I also like origami, but I never know what to do with the finished projects.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Wooden Star

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Looking for Crafts to do
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »
I love crafts too! The prayer beads and stepping stones are definitely something I want to try.

Elementalist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:31:49 am »

Thanks!

Why not try soap making? It's simple to learn and cheap to start up only a few ingredients required. You can make your own inspired soaps or carve them with religious motifs. You can put dried herbs in them and colour it with clays. Scent them with essential oils. I make my own soaps and it's a neat skill to have, not to mention fun to experiment with for little cost.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 09:41:48 am »

Thanks!

Scrapbooking? You could do recipe books, a Book of Shadows, a journal, a storybook...or just pictures of family and friends.

Mask making!

Jewelry making. Also, talismans and amulets.

....that's all I've got right now.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 08:01:08 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;70630

This link to salt dough clay recipes
courtesy Juniperberry. I haven't tried any myself, to see how well (or badly) they hold color or erode or break or melt in humid weather or whatnot, but it sounds like a pretty awesome alternative to pottery (which, I think, is already awesome, though messy, and fussy with kilns and glaze.)

I also like origami, but I never know what to do with the finished projects.

I tried the coffee salt dough from that link.....very fun stuff!  I made some offering stones for Samhain, it was a bit tricky for the little skull I sculpted (the most complex of the pieces I did) because the dough I ended up with was a bit soft (the coffee grounds seemed to make it a looser dough), but I let them air dry and popped them in the oven for a bit and they look really awesome now, even my wonky little skull!

I think I am going to try a regular salt dough to make some prayer beads sometime.

I've also been doing origami since I was a child....my joy is in the making, not necessarily in doing something with it afterwards (which makes my friend giddy because he loves it when I make something new and give it to him).  I have used origami pieces as seasonal decorations, but the most ambitious project I did was a wishing tree.  I built the trunk out of wire, and hung wishes from the branches.  Each Sabbat the tree changed, so I added and took away leaves and flowers (which were all origami, so were the wish representations).  It was pretty neat looking and fun.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 09:37:18 am »
Quote from: RoselynLibera;78776
Scrapbooking? You could do recipe books, a Book of Shadows, a journal, a storybook...or just pictures of family and friends.

Mask making!

Jewelry making. Also, talismans and amulets.

....that's all I've got right now.

Going along with the paper crafts, look into art journaling (AKA visual journals). Similar to scrapbooking, but it can be about absolutely anything, with any kind of media.

Message me if you want more info. I'd be happy to oblige.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 01:29:19 pm »

Thanks!

Go see http://www.craftster.org use the search box some folks over their do pagan crafts is a nice site for inspiration, is all sorts of things there to see. Lots of tutorials.

You could also integrate crafts and supply making. Like melt and pour soap and making magickal soaps. Cardmaking make your own set of divination cards. I have way too many crafts but I am always finding new ones. Jewelry making/beadwork is also nice.

Tags: