collapse

Author Topic: Hobbies: Homemade jewelry!  (Read 3837 times)

Redfaery

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 1345
  • Total likes: 40
    • View Profile
Homemade jewelry!
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:00:21 am »
Hello all! I have recently decided that to enhance my enjoyment of my many stones, I will try to transform them into wearable pieces. Pendants are easy enough, and I have made some of these before. However, yesterday I took on the challenge of making an armband from an emerald.

The emerald is a non-gem quality stone, found in my home state. It was a gift from my aunt, who is not particularly close to me, and who does not as a rule give gifts, but who sparked my interest in stones and crystals as a teenager, and spurred me to go panning for gems in the mountains. I still have most of the stones I got from that trip, including a massive piece of black tourmaline. The emerald she gave me is thus special to me, not only because it came from my home state, but because it was a gift from someone I love (even though she is so often very difficult to deal with...:eek:)

So here is the armband:



And urrrrgh, the hair on my arm looks so hairy in this picture! It's not bad in person!:eek:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:04:56 pm by RandallS »
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

HarpingHawke

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Posts: 1530
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 15
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: ze/zir or they/them
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:13:12 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;144168

[url=https://flic.kr/p/mE9PCW
[/url]

And urrrrgh, the hair on my arm looks so hairy in this picture! It's not bad in person!:eek:

 
Ooh, I like! The wiring is nice, too. I grew up with a jewelry-making mother, and while I have no talent for it at all, it's always really fun to look at other peoples' handmade jewelry and such.

(and you don't look like you have hairy arms ;) ).
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Redfaery

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 1345
  • Total likes: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:20:37 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;144310
Ooh, I like! The wiring is nice, too. I grew up with a jewelry-making mother, and while I have no talent for it at all, it's always really fun to look at other peoples' handmade jewelry and such.

(and you don't look like you have hairy arms ;) ).

Thank you. But yes, I have quite a bit of hair. Fortunately, the hair on my arms is very light. I was just disturbed at how much it showed in the picture because I SHOVED THE CAMERA 2 INCHES AWAY FROM MY ARM.

It's nice to know that you like it. I know nothing about making jewelry. About all I can do is bend wire into twisty shapes. I think it's part of my Asperger's that I have an eye for composition? I have a pretty good sense of when something looks "right." It's that weird distortion of abilities I get. Like, I'm horrible at communicating with people through speech, but I write beautifully and I'm highly verbal. (As for vocabulary, osculate my steatopygean parts!)*

Oh...and here's another thing I did:



It's an almandine garnet that I found when I went panning for gems when I was 15. I have a fair number of these. It's set in silvertone copper wire that I braided and decorated with beads.

Garnet is my birthstone, and I've become rather acquisitive with them....

* osculate: kiss
*steatopygian parts: fat ass
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:21:37 am by Redfaery »
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2813
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 33
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:01:35 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;144372
It's an almandine garnet that I found when I went panning for gems when I was 15. I have a fair number of these. It's set in silvertone copper wire that I braided and decorated with beads.

I like the ring!  How secure is the stone?
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Redfaery

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 1345
  • Total likes: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:17:05 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;144454
I like the ring!  How secure is the stone?

 
The setting itself wobbles a bit, so I'm worried... I don't wear it for no reason. Just around the house.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2813
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 33
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:53:50 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;144467
The setting itself wobbles a bit, so I'm worried... I don't wear it for no reason. Just around the house.

Yeah, I understand.  I'm ridiculously careful about checking the settings on my rings and getting them tightened at the first sign of a bent prong. That's one of the reasons I prefer bezel settings.

I really like the kind of rustic look of wire settings, though. And I love how you incorporated the little beads. Very creative!
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Redfaery

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 1345
  • Total likes: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 06:10:43 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;144473
Yeah, I understand.  I'm ridiculously careful about checking the settings on my rings and getting them tightened at the first sign of a bent prong. That's one of the reasons I prefer bezel settings.

I really like the kind of rustic look of wire settings, though. And I love how you incorporated the little beads. Very creative!


Thanks! I actually think the stone is probably more secure than it seems; I imagine if I bumped my hand the setting would move and not the stone. If that makes sense? I'm glad the wire looks good. It's all I got!:D: And I happen to like it, too.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Redfaery

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 1345
  • Total likes: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:14:32 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;144473
Yeah, I understand.  I'm ridiculously careful about checking the settings on my rings and getting them tightened at the first sign of a bent prong. That's one of the reasons I prefer bezel settings.

I really like the kind of rustic look of wire settings, though. And I love how you incorporated the little beads. Very creative!

 
I'd like to add an update about the emerald armband. It began coming apart pretty quickly, even though I never really wore it. I kind of took that as a sign, especially when I couldn't find the needles. So I took the emerald off and reworked the wire to make the piece into a sort of paperweight-type trinket - the kind of thing that people put on their desks for random decoration/use in keeping papers from flying off.

I like it much better now, and I can actually feel the energy from it, which I couldn't before.



Don't mind my familiar....she's a good girl.;)
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Narcolepticwitch

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jul 2015
  • Posts: 10
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;144168
Hello all! I have recently decided that to enhance my enjoyment of my many stones, I will try to transform them into wearable pieces. Pendants are easy enough, and I have made some of these before. However, yesterday I took on the challenge of making an armband from an emerald.

The emerald is a non-gem quality stone, found in my home state. It was a gift from my aunt, who is not particularly close to me, and who does not as a rule give gifts, but who sparked my interest in stones and crystals as a teenager, and spurred me to go panning for gems in the mountains. I still have most of the stones I got from that trip, including a massive piece of black tourmaline. The emerald she gave me is thus special to me, not only because it came from my home state, but because it was a gift from someone I love (even though she is so often very difficult to deal with...:eek:)

So here is the armband:



And urrrrgh, the hair on my arm looks so hairy in this picture! It's not bad in person!:eek:

 
That awesome. I really love making stuff with my stones although I only have made necklace so far.although people in my area might think it's weird since guys don't usually do that. They also come in handy as presents. Once when I was still celebrated Christmas I made my friends each a bead bracelet from stuff that I got from a craft store.

Iconographer Bashik

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Feb 2016
  • Posts: 8
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 07:01:09 pm »
Quote from: Narcolepticwitch;178065
That awesome. I really love making stuff with my stones although I only have made necklace so far.although people in my area might think it's weird since guys don't usually do that. They also come in handy as presents. Once when I was still celebrated Christmas I made my friends each a bead bracelet from stuff that I got from a craft store.

  A bit much (3 by 2 inches) but I've made a ankh out of bolts, ducktape and a fish eye bolt.

Jack

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Location: Cascadia
  • Posts: 3168
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 90
    • View Profile
    • Jack of Many Trades
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:50:20 pm »
Quote from: Iconographer Bashik;187194
A bit much (3 by 2 inches) but I've made a ankh out of bolts, ducktape and a fish eye bolt.
That's got a neat assemblage-industrial vibe!
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

HarpingHawke

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Posts: 1530
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 15
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: ze/zir or they/them
Re: Homemade jewelry!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:36:51 pm »
Quote from: Iconographer Bashik;187194
A bit much (3 by 2 inches) but I've made a ankh out of bolts, ducktape and a fish eye bolt.

 
Daaaang, I *love* that!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
781 Views
Last post February 07, 2013, 05:38:21 pm
by Aelyria
29 Replies
2894 Views
Last post May 21, 2016, 11:04:09 pm
by Doc
7 Replies
943 Views
Last post December 24, 2015, 06:00:17 pm
by PiscesMoon
7 Replies
1394 Views
Last post May 26, 2016, 02:49:55 am
by Jack
6 Replies
1489 Views
Last post June 17, 2016, 06:34:03 pm
by Hyacinth Belle

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall