Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Devotional crafts?  (Read 6939 times)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Devotional crafts?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 09:23:14 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;56629
That's terrible XD and I'm way jealous btw lol

it's a religious experience.  honest.  *g*

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 09:26:48 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;56632

ya know I keep looking for friggin "like" buttons on here XD
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

yarnwitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 11:36:04 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;56632

Maryland Sheep and Wool was like that for me. I have some tasty tasty Cormo waiting for me to spin it.

Stine

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:49 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;55269
I love devotional crafts!

Recently I made my first Spirit Bottle or Lwa  Boutey for one of the Lwas I serve, LaSirene. For those who don't know, in Vodou, a spirit bottle is a bottle that is dressed with symbols, fabrics and colors of a given Lwa and then it is offered to the Lwa as his/her home to inhabit.It works as both an altar piece and as an altar in itself.
It took me weeks of preparation, and it was a pain to paint it with seagreen nailpolish but I love how it turned out !
You can see it here if you want:

http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/my-lasirene-bottle/

I was skeptical when you said nail polish but that is gorgeous!
By the work of our hands,
and the work of our lives,
our love is made real.

Stine

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 11:50:41 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;52301
So, it seems that I've been asked to make a quilt in honor of one of my gods. situation--as in, big enough to go on my bed--is going to be a huge project, but oh well.

I mentioned the quilt in chat the other day, and a couple of people mentioned devotional projects they'd done, but I'm interested to hear more, because this is turning out to be a very enlightening experience.

My altar wants a quilt.  I can't decide what pattern to use.  My altar is going to run out of patience very soon, so suggestions are welcome.  I will be using a 24 in by 24 in pattern most likely.  I want the elements and some runes and the zodiac and basically too much stuff on it!  I have a lot of fabric, but I have trouble cutting it.  It's so pretty.  I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to craft supplies.  I need someone to tell me to finish it already!  :o
By the work of our hands,
and the work of our lives,
our love is made real.

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 04:08:08 am »
I just want to hug this thread.

Quote from: Stine;66213
My altar wants a quilt.  I can't decide what pattern to use.  My altar is going to run out of patience very soon, so suggestions are welcome.  I will be using a 24 in by 24 in pattern most likely.  I want the elements and some runes and the zodiac and basically too much stuff on it!  I have a lot of fabric, but I have trouble cutting it.  It's so pretty.  I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to craft supplies.  I need someone to tell me to finish it already!  :o

I've tried to make half a dozen quilts and get impatient and never finish them. If you do something with Pinwheels, they are super-easy to cut out if you use this method:

For myself....I've made maybe half of my altar items with wood-burning or sewing. I've hand-dipped candles in the past, and I'd like to do that again. Lately I've been looking for a craft to replace knitting that won't hurt my arthritis, so I'm going to be borrowing a wheel from a friend to try spinning. Don't know what I'll do with the yarns after, besides simple charms and things.

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 10:20:27 am »
So, it seems that I've been asked to make a quilt in honor of one of my gods. And it wasn't the one I expected, either.

I'm interested to hear more, because this is turning out to be a very enlightening experience.

I was compelled to make a pair of wall hangings of Isis and Osiris, for Neith...  and I don't even really follow Kemet... :eek:  
but I did it because I felt not to would have somehow been at my peril...

As it happens, I am very pleased with their outcome :)  and I have been left in peace now, pretty much, to go about my business as I was before that, making Celtcic pieces and Druid work instead.

I think sometimes, we just have to go with the flow.  ;)
It\'s all about the Ebb and Flow...

AuroraWillow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:57 pm »

I mentioned the quilt in chat the other day, and a couple of people mentioned devotional projects they'd done, but I'm interested to hear more, because this is turning out to be a very enlightening experience.

I have done a few small pieces, mostly things for use in ritual. I do a little candlemaking and made some votive candles for Ostara. I also have a set of beads that I used in meditation. I have been neglecting my practice so I can't say I use them now.

I have started a shawl a number of times, but I can never find a yarn that is "just right."

I love the idea of doing an altar quilt. I had designs on knitting an altar cloth, but it did not quite work out how I wanted it to.
Come away, O human child! / To the waters and the wild / With a faery, hand in hand, /
For the world\'s more full of weeping than you can understand.

Tags: