Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Hobbies: Cosplay  (Read 21043 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Cosplay
« on: November 09, 2019, 01:57:56 pm »
A thread for fellow cosplayers to discuss this hobby, share tips & tricks and maybe the odd photo should you wish.

Does anyone else cosplay?

How did you get into it, and do you have a favourite genre or franchise you like to cosplay in particular?

We're just back from our third comicon in cosplay - this time we were Star Wars characters and previously we've been 2000AD Judges and Star Trek characters.

I think my next project might be Alice from the Resident Evil films (films 2 & onward, I can't wear what she wears in the first film).  My husband is working on a mash up of Boba Fett and Johnny Alpha.

It was my husband who got me into it, really - we're long time LARPers but a couple of years ago he started getting into making cosplay projects and talked me into joining him at the comicons.

It's an expensive hobby, though, because not only do the projects cost money so do the comicons, plus travel and then there's all the money one tends to spend at these events!  So we can only go to a small handful a year (plus then there's my spoons level, as well).

Anyone else?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »
We're just back from our third comicon in cosplay - this time we were Star Wars characters and previously we've been 2000AD Judges and Star Trek characters.

Sounds awesome! Photos?

Anyone else?

Not yet, though I'm tempted. (I do dress in a costume for Halloween every year.)

I go to NYC's Flame Con every year, the only LGBTQ-themed comicon on the East Coast. The cosplay there is tremendous (and partly why I'm now thinking of doing it too); lots of gender bending, like a female Captain America or male Phoenix. I'd be tempted to do a male Raven (old-school comics version, not the anime-ish goth girl) or a male Storm...or maybe even do drag for the first time, as a female Storm.

If I can dig up any photos I've snapped of the cosplay from past Flame Cons, I'll post them.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:34:03 pm »
It's an expensive hobby, though, because not only do the projects cost money so do the comicons, plus travel and then there's all the money one tends to spend at these events!  So we can only go to a small handful a year (plus then there's my spoons level, as well).

This, and also storage space. I tend to plan costumes around clothes I already own. The first costume I ever did was Kite from .hack, and one reason I picked it was because I already had red sweatpants. This costume also included a bag, which was very practical for attending a convention.

I've done about half specific characters and half archetypes (like the pirate costume I did for halloween this year.) I enjoy the sewing/crafting aspect, though I'm not all that good at it yet - I recently found a Youtube channel about historical costume reconstruction, so I currently have increased interest (though I may end up making regular clothes instead of costumes). I've promised myself that December will be for tackling my sewing UFOs and maybe some new projects.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 12:35:50 am »

How did you get into it, and do you have a favourite genre or franchise you like to cosplay in particular?

I was really intensely into cosplay stuff for a while in the late 2000s; mostly on the anime side rather than western stuff.  Haven't actually done much new recently, though I still have most all my old costumes; most of my creative energy has gone into SCA garb, which is...not quite the same thing (except for where it is.)

I go to NYC's Flame Con every year, the only LGBTQ-themed comicon on the East Coast. The cosplay there is tremendous (and partly why I'm now thinking of doing it too); lots of gender bending...

That sounds really cool. A lot of what ended up drawing me to cosplay in the first place was a reasonably safe space to push boundaries of presentation and expression as regards gender norms (not that i was able to articulate it in those terms at the time; suffice to say, 19 was a long time ago.  ;)) As such, I present what was actually my first Proper Cosplay: Nuriko from Fushigi Yûgi.

[Edited to fix broken link code - SP]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:17:14 pm by SunflowerP »
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 03:06:40 am »
A thread for fellow cosplayers to discuss this hobby, share tips & tricks and maybe the odd photo should you wish.

I think my next project might be Alice from the Resident Evil films (films 2 & onward, I can't wear what she wears in the first film).  My husband is working on a mash up of Boba Fett and Johnny Alpha.

It was my husband who got me into it, really - we're long time LARPers but a couple of years ago he started getting into making cosplay projects and talked me into joining him at the comicons.

Anyone else?

I was about to say that I haven't in a while, but this is untrue because I actually ended up doing a lot of low-budget quick cosplay this year for a show I take part in! So, in the last year or two I've been

- Emo Draco Malfoy
- Coran from Voltron: Legendary Defender
- Rose Quartz from steven universe
- Sarah Bailey from The Craft
- The Witch King of Angmar (i put my wig head on top of my head and secured it with a hoodie. It was fun!)
- Jareth the Goblin King
- One of the main characters from the show I currently work on (except no one knew because it turns out when you always wear leather jackets no one realizes you're wearing a costume ;^;)
- Cruella De Ville
- Zombie Lori Grimes from the Walking Dead

All done under $50 XD

I also sew extensively, and made my bf a victorian great coat so he could be the hunter from Bloodborne last year at Halloween. Other past cosplays have been femme!10 and femme!11 for Doctor Who, Aerith from Kingdom Hearts 2 and Marcelline from Adventure Time

And I'm still mulling it over and waiting to see what her personality is like but there's a new character in The Dragon Prince that I just really, really like the look of and I've already started mentally mapping out what I'd need to do to make it awesome and--

I just really, really like costuming.

What got me into it was being a big nerd who liked wearing costumes and not seeing any reason to stop once I hit my adult years. I already knew how to sew and had theater costume workshop experience, so things like drafting patterns, styling wigs, learning makeup techniques to make my very round, chubby face look more like the character, and crafting complex pieces that aren't clothing are always fun challenges.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 04:06:33 pm »
Photos?

Photos require a laptop, I'm unable to resize them for the forum using my tablet, unfortunately - but I promise photos eventually (when lack of laptop is sorted)!  Nothing on the scale of FlameCon, from the sound of it though...

and also storage space.

Yes, I don't actually know how we're managing, other than giving away some of our costumes after attending a particular con in them.

I present what was actually my first Proper Cosplay: Nuriko from Fushigi Yûgi.

I don't know the character, but the costume sure looks cool.

not seeing any reason to stop once I hit my adult years.

I know, right?!  :D
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 06:13:10 pm »
If I can dig up any photos I've snapped of the cosplay from past Flame Cons, I'll post them.

I can only find my photos from the first-ever Flame Con several years ago (and it's only gotten bigger since), but here are some of them:

I have no idea who these guys are supposed to be, but they were hot, so I took their photo. (Yes, I'm shameless! Also the unintentional sign placement behind them could have some interesting interpretations.)

...and last but not least, my favorite: two male Storms, one in her Asgardian costume, the other in her punk phase...which really irritated me, because I had been toying even back then with doing a male Storm in a variation of her original costume, and if I hadn't been too clueless to follow through, we three would have found ourselves as a perfect set.

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 07:29:52 pm »
I have no idea who these guys are supposed to be, but they were hot, so I took their photo. (Yes, I'm shameless! Also the unintentional sign placement behind them could have some interesting interpretations.)

It's a little disturbing that I actually know this.

They're from the cartoon Adventure Time. From left to right: Finn the Human, Lumpy Space Princess, and Jake the Dog.  The cosplay version is definitely hotter than the cartoon.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 199
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal