collapse

Poll

What device do you most often use to view The Cauldron?

Windows PC (Desktop/Laptop)
18 (62.1%)
Mac PC (Desktop/Laptop)
3 (10.3%)
Linux PC (Desktop/Laptop)
2 (6.9%)
Android Tablet
0 (0%)
Apple Tablet
1 (3.4%)
Android Phone
2 (6.9%)
Apple Phone
1 (3.4%)
Other (Please specify in a comment)
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Tech: [Poll] What device do you most often use to view The Cauldron?  (Read 4067 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
[Poll] What device do you most often use to view The Cauldron?
« on: September 10, 2017, 07:10:35 pm »
I'm interested in how you normally interact with this forum (and website). Do you use a Desktop/Laptop? A tablet? A phone? And what type: Windows/Apple/Android/etc. "Other" includes devices like Blackberries, windows phones, windows tablets, etc.

I found the results of a poll from 2002 and I'm interested in how the usage has changed. Back then, there were no tablets or smartphones. About 83% of people used Windows Desktops or laptops. One person used a terminal on an IBM MAINFRAME.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:44:15 pm by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: [Poll] What device do you most often use to view The Cauldron?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:36:50 pm »
I'm interested in how you normally interact with this forum (and website). Do you use a Desktop/Laptop? A tablet? A phone? And what type: Windows/Apple/Android/etc. "Other" includes devices like Blackberries, windows phones, windows tablets, etc.

Windows 10 Desktop PC mostly (home, work); Blackberry Android smartphone second; Linux Desktop PC a distant third and, way back there, a Windows/Linux (dual boot) laptop, mostly when traveling.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:45:20 pm »

I am technically an "Other", but:

Primary: Mac desktop (iMac, in my case)

Work: Windows machine (currently Win7)

When travelling or as a backup computer: iPad (with keyboard) and Tapatalk, which ends up being a week or two a year on average, and was about a month so far this year due to needing to replace the computer.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:39:35 pm »

I found the results of a poll from 2002 and I'm interested in how the usage has changed. Back then, there were no tablets or smartphones. About 83% of people used Windows Desktops or laptops. One person used a terminal on an IBM MAINFRAME.

iPhone and I have the Tapatalk app. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:07:27 am »
I voted other because I often use a smartphone (Nokia Lumia) and wasn't sure if that's an android phone...

When I'm at home I use a desktop PC - which is much more comfortable to type with and crop quotes etc.

Typing on the smartphone annoys me somewhat because I make many mistakes on it (I accidentally hit the wrong letter and the autocorrect corrects it into a much different word than I wanted or I forgot to switch it to English...)

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 01:42:57 am »
iPhone with Tapatalk. That could change, but for now it works.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:58:32 am »

PC, but maily cause I can't get the damn site to work on my android.  :-[
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 04:35:31 am »

Win10 desktop PC, for the most part. Win8 laptop if I'm using my tiny bb!Acer. Occasionally I will click through to check replies on my iphone if I get a notification and it's a thread I'm interested in, but that's really about it.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 08:48:01 am »

For me, its most often Tapatalk on my iPhone. Occasionally I use my laptop with windows 10

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 09:00:55 am »
For me, its most often Tapatalk on my iPhone. Occasionally I use my laptop with windows 10
Can't vote in the actual poll 'cause Tapatalk, but I use it on my Sasha-proof* Android. I think I've logged in to the actual website maybe twice since I found out there's an app (however imperfect it may be).

*Sasha-proof because I'm... clumsy with my cell phones. My Galaxy s3 I had a few years ago was a champ after being dropped in a (clean) toilet 3 times, a running sink once, thrown out of a moving Jeep, thrown against a stone wall, and still lasted me 2 years. What finally did it in was me pulling the battery out and actually breaking it in half in one of my fights with Fiancé (I have anger issues and can't control my BPD rages.)

So currently I have a Kyocera Brigadier from Verizon that is supposed to be run-it-over-with-a-tank military grade indestructible.... buuuuut I replaced it over the summer. Apparently it can't handle being dropped off a waterfall. Go figure.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 11:40:45 am »

Primary: Windows PC (laptop)
Secondary: Android tablet (Kindle Fire) via browser
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 04:19:22 am »

I picked 'Linux PC' since you made it a single-choice poll, but I'm just as likely to be using my Macbook as my (ancient in computer years) Ubuntu-running desktop box - in fact, I frequently use 'em both at once; it can be handy to have TC open on two different machines simultaneously. (Some of that is because of the age of the desktop box, and of its version of Ubuntu - I'm still on Lucid because I don't like what they did after that point, but haven't decided what Linux distro I want to use instead - not to mention that my keyboard has been getting a bit wonky and either needs a very thorough cleaning or replacing... but some of it is that I like the convenience of being a doublefisted websurfer.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 08:33:29 am »
I'm interested in how you normally interact with this forum (and website).

For a long time it was always my (Windows) laptop and I'm sure that will come back into my personal vogue at some stage, but lately it's my wee android phone because mostly it's during my lunch break at work or on the train, lately.  Occasionally my antiquated (android?) tablet or our Kindle, too.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 06:02:51 pm »

I use a desktop computer mostly. But I also log in on my android tablet (currently on it right now!).
Tried Tapatalk but found it frustrating to use, kept trying to sign me up for smoking forums which was bizarre! So I deleted it.
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 06:22:15 am »
Tried Tapatalk but found it frustrating to use, kept trying to sign me up for smoking forums which was bizarre! So I deleted it.

I'm glad there's someone else for whom Tapatalk is not a solution. I've never liked it much, either from the user end or from the forum owner end. Plenty of people seem to like it, however.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: