"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Spring Health and Fitness challenge - Chronic Illness version  (Read 3289 times)

Jenett

• View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Again, a parallel / alternative thread for people for whom the other spring fitness challenge thread doesn't work as well. Maybe you've got health issues that mean different kinds of goals. Maybe you want a space that doesn't specify numbers. We're here!

A few tips to keep this helpful for people in the thread:

- Please avoid expressing exertion or weight loss goals as numbers in
plain view : these can be actively disruptive to health for people with a history of disordered eating or exercise, and also sometimes frustrating or disruptive for people whose bodies won't let them do much. It would be great if this thread was a place people could talk about goals and get support without having to risk seeing that kind of content without warning.

- If you do want to express these kinds of goals, please put them in spoiler tags. (These work like the quote tags: put
Code: [Select]
[spoiler] at the beginning of the content and
Code: [Select]
[/spoiler] at the end. Please put a note about the kind of content just before (i.e "Exercise numbers" or ""weight loss numbers"

- If there are other limits that would help make this thread useful, please let people know and we can figure out some solutions.

With that in mind:
1) Name your goal!
2) Post it on this thread.
3) Check in (once a week is good)
4) Mutual support, encouragement and (if requested, helping with ideas) are great.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:51:03 pm by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Health and Fitness challenge - Chronic Illness version
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:41:44 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;203740
1) Name your goal!

Two and a half goals.

I know some people get twitchy around food or anything that might be construed as disordered eating (I mean, I don't think this is, but better safe than sorry):

Spoiler:  
1) Stick to the gluten-free thing seriously I mean it and, more to the point, eat enough to not feel like total crap while sticking to the gluten-free thing. Expiry date: no earlier than Mar 31, but if I can hold out till Apr 14, that's better, and Apr 28 is better yet. And then back on gluten.

Object of this exercise is to determine whether a GF diet does anything useful for me. (I have two sisters who have celiac, you see. I have been meaning to run this experiment basically since the earlier of them got diagnosed. I finally started Mar 4.) If I note an improvement in any arena between now and when I go back on gluten, or an abrupt disimprovement when I go back on gluten, then clearly the answer is yes. Mind you, a yes answer will suck intensely; as you might have guessed from the content note and the first sentence part two, I am having trouble enjoying, and thus having trouble eating, any foods that are permissible by the terms of the experiment! (Same naturally-GF or trivially-rendered-GF foods I have enjoyed plenty in the past, at that! Ugh. Brains why so rude.)

I am not sure whether what is below this spoiler cut counts as exertion goals with numbers, and better etc:

Spoiler:  
2) Get in the habit of moving my body to music on a regular basis--say every two or three days. Bonus points for moving my body to music in a way that sets me up to be able to walk a 5K (formally organized or otherwise--I was hoping the 5K for employees of the state that employs me would be that week, but I asked and it's most likely in the fall this year) the weekend of May 20-22.

Object of this exercise is, one, I used to be able to walk a freaking 5K no trouble, and I am irritated at having lost that ability. Two, Kallynteria and Plunteria are May 21-22 according to Hellenion 2017 calendar, and it occurred to me that the six-mile one-way hike from temple to sea that is part of that festival duo is relevant and a good thing to reenact in the course of celebrating that festival duo. Wait, I haven't got access to the temple in Athens--okay, let's just exercise instead. I am not attempting any twelve miles, though.

Weight loss:

Spoiler:  
2 1/2) I weigh in the vicinity of 170 lbs. I want to be in the 140-150-lb range. This is a half goal because it's vague and because my efforts to achieve it are encompassed by the above two goals: I am not weighing myself daily or even weekly, and I am not restricting my eating more than I'm already doing. I refuse. But I do get weighed every time I visit the psych doctor, which is about monthly, and I'll report that number after each visit (next one's in two weeks) and, like, hope it falls. Not hoping it falls fast, because I know too much weight loss too fast is not healthy, but.

And the reasons I'm over here instead of over on the other challenge thread:

* Exercise-triggered asthma
* Executive function problems up to my ears
* If that-thing-in-the-first-spoiler-cut is an actual thing wrt me (that goal, if you did not open the spoiler cut, is an experiment to find this out), well, that's a bleepin' chronic illness in and of itself, isn't it?

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:07:26 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;203746
I am not sure whether what is below this spoiler cut counts as exertion goals with numbers, and better etc:

Spoiler:  
2) Get in the habit of moving my body to music on a regular basis--say every two or three days. Bonus points for moving my body to music in a way that sets me up to be able to walk a 5K

Spoiler:  
So just now I put on my "dance! medium energy" playlist on shuffle. Ginger Doss, "Dance Around the Fire". I danced through the whole song! Yay! This is better than last time, when I only had one playlist for this purpose (since renamed "dance! high energy"), and I only made it through most of Kellianna's "Wild Maiden", which is a full minute shorter than "Dance Around the Fire".

...but even the medium-energy playlist is 22 min, and I was hoping to go more than 5 min. :(

And re the food thing:

Spoiler:  
I have a chuck steak baking that marinated overnight in a mixture of Kraft Catalina and Heinz Worcestershire, and that I'm baking/braising in a mixture of those and sweet red wine. My kitchen smells SO GOOD Y'ALL now let's hope it tastes good too!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »
If you do want to express these kinds of goals, please put them in spoiler tags. (These work like the quote tags: put at the beginning of the content and at the end. Please put a note about the kind of content just before (i.e "Exercise numbers" or ""weight loss numbers"

That didn't come out helpfully, so I've edited the above (in my quote, not in the OP) to use pointy brackets so that how it works shows properly.

To all: When actually using spoiler tags, use square brackets instead of the pointy ones.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:44 pm »

1) Name your goal!

Goal: Move more, and improve flexibility
(body numbers, level/type of activity)
Spoiler:  

Do yoga once a day!

I don't get a chance to be active to begin with given my desk job, but when I started dealing with chronic fatigue and pain it got worse.  6-inches-on-my-waist-in-a-year worse.  I (kinda had to) cut out almost all alcohol, which has made me feel a lot better and helped me shed some of the excess weight, but I need to move my body!

I don't know my weight, and I don't particularly care; I don't even own a scale.  I'd just like to be able to fit back into my favorite dresses.  

My flexibility is almost non-existent at this point too, which has started to bite me in terms of small injuries.

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:51:09 pm »

Wrt exercise: not going well, by which I mean it's not going.

Wrt food:

Spoiler:  
Nothing. Tastes. Right. Even the things that tasted awesome, gluten-free or otherwise, before!

I'm getting some chicken thighs in a marinade in a moment, so they can marinate while I'm at work today and crockpot while I'm sleeping. Honey, garlic, GF teriyaki sauce because the grocery store was out of GF soy sauce, and ketchup. Sounds tasty. We'll see if it actually is tasty enough to be edible.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:25:46 pm by Morag »

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 05:35:32 pm »
Again, a parallel / alternative thread for people for whom the other spring fitness challenge thread doesn't work as well. Maybe you've got health issues that mean different kinds of goals. Maybe you want a space that doesn't specify numbers. We're here!

Yay!

I kind of stopped reporting on the other thread; hopefully won't happen on this one.

1. Big thing -- improve my sleep. I am actually on the road to this as I've been prescribed a new med that should stop my spasms while I sleep. This is day 3 of it and so far, so good, though it did put me into a mini-coma the other night. That might happen while I catch up on sleep debt.

(For those who don't know: I have uncontrollable spasms and nerve pain. Pretty sure it's Willis Ekbom Disease. I have to fidget or jiggle my limbs to avoid spasming. Can't actually sit still. Anyway there's no test for Willis Ekbom, apparently, so when I brought it up with my doc and my concern that I was spasming while sleeping and that's what was still making me tired despite the CPAP he prescribed a med to see if it helps.)

2. Take my iron daily again. I managed this for like, a week! My blood tests showed an improvement in iron when I was only taking it every couple of days, so if I keep on taking it daily I should be able to beat the anemia.  

3. Continue seeing chiro once a month. Saw them this month, next appt is beginning of April.

4. Continue journaling and doing my 750 words every day. This is for my mental health which in turn helps my physical health.

5. Food/diet stuff:

Spoiler:  
We still haven't started our new diet. We've had a couple of scares with Mr. Morag getting low on blood sugar and getting really ill from it, so...if/when we start this thing we need to do it right. Or figure out a way for just me to do it, depending on if he's able or not. We're discussing options.

On the plus side, have gone without sugar in my coffee for a couple of weeks now. Didn't actually think that was possible, so maybe I am able to cut down on my sugar intake.

Regarding swimming and getting a new suit, etc, that has to be put to the side right now as our budget has tightened considerably. My car has been on the fritz since January and we've not had the money to get it fixed, so I'm housebound regardless. It's still too cold for me to get any exercise by walking outside.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jenett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:49:50 pm »

Time for my goals.

I am mostly at keeping on keeping on: keep up the swimming, see if I can find a thing or two that gets me moving on non swimming days (see below), and continue to work on improving 'quick things to prepare to eat which are good for me' for my particular values of 'good for me'.

Various bits of divination I did for the year in advance at my birthday suggest that April and May may have particular challenges, so I am trying to keep plenty of space in them for adjusting to complications and not adding new complex things.

(If I'm right, yay advance planning. If I'm wrong, I'll get more done on non-urgent projects!)

My week
- Last week was a huge travel and weird schedule week for me (I left on a plane on Wednesday, got back today, and Saturday to Saturday was nearly twice the amount of activity I normally do plus sleeping on a bed that is not mine, not swimming, etc.)

- My next week is not exactly better: I got home today, have necessary stuff tomorrow, and then a professional conference that starts Friday night and runs through midafternoon Sunday, followed by a) getting back to work after 10 days away and b) a Tuesday that is rapidly filling with complex unusual tasks. This is, perhaps, not the ideal planning ever.

(Self care indicates I should tell the person I was maybe meeting to do something with on the 1st or 2nd that that seems to be a bad idea.)

- April is also the month of All The Medical Appointments (blood work, doctor, nutritionist, dentist) all of which should be 'yep, that thing is still that thing' seasonal followups, but one never knows. Which also complicates my schedule several ways.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 03:21:41 pm »
Two and a half goals.

Exercise goal:

Spoiler:  
I DID SOME. I went to the city park and walked around for idk fifteen, twenty minutes. (I was in the park more than twenty minutes, but I stopped to take photos so the actual walk time was probably more like fifteen minutes.)

Food goal:

Spoiler:  
I remembered before I opened the packet that Lorna Doones have gluten. Yay? :( :( :( potato chips are so much less fun than Lorna Doones. (Blood bank didn't have a whole lot of gluten-free noms available for donors.)

Besides that, the gluten-free experiment is going okay but I'm hungry and thus I'm grouchy and I still haven't found tasty food even among previously-proven-tasty food. :( :( :(

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 01:31:36 am »
Quote from: AsraiDouglas;203979
Goal: Move more, and improve flexibility

Well...some success!  At least my cat was thoroughly entertained.
Spoiler:  

I did one day of yoga.  I made a lot of excuses in not starting, hah.  It's been tough, because I'm so much more aware of all the things I used to be able to do and how much less flexible I am now!

I am enjoying the series, though.  A friend (who has some serious mobility issues) recommended a YouTube series called to me.  Sometimes it's like she's reading my mind.  

I think it's something I can keep up with now that I'm started!  *fingers crossed*

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 07:26:38 pm »
Two and a half goals.

Wrt exercise: still not. :(

Wrt food:

Spoiler:  
I spent today cooking meatballs to a GF version of my grandmother's recipe, mashed potatoes to serve the meatballs with because I still don't want to try GF pasta, cashew paella, and baked chicken with Greek seasoning. I'll cook rice to serve the chicken with later. Other than the rice, the food for the remaining two weeks of the no-gluten phase of my GF experiment is cooked and done with. Yay!

And nibbling as I cooked, it tasted okay? So maybe my brain is getting with the program finally, instead of making it hard to eat because nothing's tasty?

Wrt weight:

Spoiler:  
As of Wednesday, I am four pounds lighter than as of three weeks earlier. That seems a little fast to be losing weight, so I'm worrying.

Jenett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 07:22:53 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;204531

I was waiting until today to update because seasonal doctor's appointment. (Which was very good! We actually get to poke at 'this is not an urgent problem but would be nice to fix!')

Which is poking at the auto-immune response (which affects about five things I have) and inflammation in general, and seeing if we can improve that, because. (Some of which are food things I will be discussing with my nutritionist more when I see her in a couple of weeks, some of which are poking at other things.)

However, I had a migraine on Wednesday, and that always throws me for a few days (and was recovering last weekend from a very busy couple of weeks, so not as much exercise as I'd ideally like.)

My work place is doing a spring exercise challenge. I know some places that's awful and inaccessible but ours is fairly sensibly done with no pressure to participate (and other challenges during the year aren't necessarily exercise, they might be drinking water.) This one, they ask us to log minutes of activity, in a team (we can choose our own) and there's a wide range of things to choose from and no pressure about exertion/competition/etc. except that the top team gets bragging rights and some sort of small prize.

So I'm doing that with my two closest work colleagues, our boss, and someone else in our department and if the weather is not totally horrible all weekend it may actually get me out of the house for a walk.

(I am bad at leaving the house on days I do not actually have to.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:23:49 pm by Jenett »

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 08:19:02 am »

I'm a little late in joining again, it's taken me a little while to get round to it.

I still have a few weeks left of attending Weight Watchers  - I've been really pleased with what I've achieved in general but have 'fallen off the wagon' in recent weeks with the healthy eating (and gotten away with it!) so I want to try and address that, so as not to lose those good habits I've learned in the early weeks.  My husband doesn't help, he's a junk food addict and 'pusher'.

My healthier lifestyle goals remain the same, I really want to improve my consistency with it:-
~ keep up the water-drinking (instead of diet fizzy drinks)
~ continue to resist my work colleagues' morning and afternoon biscuit-rounds & all the birthday cakes etc
~ start remembering to take packed lunches again, for a better choice of healthier options.  Also, more fruit & veg.
~ here is the one I haven't been managing: try and take a lunch break & spend some of it reading/relaxing in some way (possibly an occasional walk or something, too)
~ remembering to use my daylight simulation lamp most days, and to take my various vitamins & food supplements regularly
(At the risk of tempting fate, my insomnia is currently not troubling me too greatly, and if it does start to then I have an antihistamine medication I can take on the second and subsequent nights).

So that's all pretty much the same as it was at the start of (and throughout) the winter thread, but that's okay.  There had been some progress on some of the points, and progress is progress.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:20:31 am by Pickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 05:30:24 pm »
Two and a half goals.

I know some people get twitchy around food or anything that might be construed as disordered eating (I mean, I don't think this is, but better safe than sorry):

Spoiler:  
1) Stick to the gluten-free thing seriously I mean it and, more to the point, eat enough to not feel like total crap while sticking to the gluten-free thing. Expiry date: no earlier than Mar 31, but if I can hold out till Apr 14, that's better, and Apr 28 is better yet. And then back on gluten.

Object of this exercise is to determine whether a GF diet does anything useful for me. (I have two sisters who have celiac, you see. I have been meaning to run this experiment basically since the earlier of them got diagnosed. I finally started Mar 4.) If I note an improvement in any arena between now and when I go back on gluten, or an abrupt disimprovement when I go back on gluten, then clearly the answer is yes. Mind you, a yes answer will suck intensely; as you might have guessed from the content note and the first sentence part two, I am having trouble enjoying, and thus having trouble eating, any foods that are permissible by the terms of the experiment! (Same naturally-GF or trivially-rendered-GF foods I have enjoyed plenty in the past, at that! Ugh. Brains why so rude.)

Spoiler:  
So I started the gluten reintroduction phase yesterday. And while the "nothing is tasty" thing finally gave up and went away a week ago, wow it's like eating in Technicolor.

I suspect the major full-body ouch today, starting sometime yesterday-afternoon vicinity, is because I overdid it yesterday when Cooking All The Things (I was pretty much on my feet from noon till nine), and not to do with gluten. Or else it's to do with some as-yet-undiagnosed disability and yesterday's overdoing it amped that up, and not to do with gluten. But I can't prove that...

Re exercise goal: meh. MEH I SAY. The major full-body ouch is Not Helping!

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 06:52:52 am »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;204950
Re exercise goal: meh. MEH I SAY. The major full-body ouch is Not Helping!

I can understand that - hope it's eased off now!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: