collapse

Author Topic: Thinking about my first shift. What do you think?  (Read 2764 times)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Thinking about my first shift. What do you think?
« on: June 02, 2013, 05:50:13 pm »
so I was thinking I might make Honey and Rosemary Soda Bread as an offering

Sunset is at 9:20 so I thought I could light the candle and  then read poetry until I am ready for bed (to me poetry is The Most Sacred Thing and I don't make enough time for it but the fact that it's important to Brighid kind of "allows" me to let it matter)

I'll do my usual night-time ritual to her (which basicly consists of drinking ovaltine, focusing  on and then  "pulling in" from the day that's gone, offering her my gratitude for the day, watching a flame and just sitting with her for a bit)

I have a battery operated "candle" for overnight. is that okay?

In the morning I will do my morning ritual which includes a devotion to her

then I'm going to make a piece of devotional jewellery (probably a bracelet) for the shifts that I can't always be near a candle

I'm going to do some reading about her and her mythology and probably write some poetry

I know this is very "me" focused , (as opposed to world focused) but I think that's okay for my first shift and at this point in my journey?

One thing, how do you close your shifts?

what are your thoughts on this?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Thinking about my first shift. What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:49:01 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;110556

I was actually just thinking about starting a thread up for people to share thoughts on their typical shifts!

A battery candle is just fine; I know several other cill members use them, and I myself use an electric hearth. As for being "you-centric" that's pretty standard- nothing you've written sounds unusual to me at all, and there's no Big and Important Shift Activity that you're not including.

I don't have a standard method for closing out my shifts, which is something I plan to remedy in the near future.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:05:41 pm »

what are your thoughts on this?

I think making the bread would be an awesome idea. :) And now that you've reminded me of it's existence again, I kind of want to make it!

Also, I use a battery-operated candle almost all the time now for my shifts, because I've had issues in the past with a real candle and it staining my shrine cloths with wax. :/
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

SunflowerP

• Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:29:40 am »

Emerald posted a short piece several months ago that I thought would be really good for shift closing, but I keep forgetting to try incorporating it:ashamed:.

As for the rest of your post, what Juni said.  I didn't think it sounded you-centric so much as simply contemplative - which is completely authentic to Brigidine Flamekeeping; don't forget that it derives from monastic tradition.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about my first shift. What do you think? (update on shift)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:37:17 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;110589
Emerald posted a

As for the rest of your post, what Juni said.  I didn't think it sounded you-centric so much as simply contemplative - which is completely authentic to Brigidine Flamekeeping; don't forget that it derives from monastic tradition.

Sunflower

Well that was a pretty awesome day! I was really creative and productive, made this as a devotional piece

Made other Jewellery,did other craft stuff, did lots of reading both about Brighid and lots of poetry, wrote some poetry.

I really felt Brighids presence.

There's more about it on my blog if you are interested
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

SunflowerP

• Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Thinking about my first shift. What do you think? (update on shift)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 10:47:50 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;110744
Well that was a pretty awesome day! I was really creative and productive, made this as a devotional piece

I really felt Brighids presence.

There's more about it on my blog if you are interested

Oh, that's lovely!

I've often found that I have a lot more capacity for being productive and creative during my shift; what might otherwise be a struggle on a low-spoons day, or on a day when I have plenty of internal resources would be not a problem but still use much more time and energy, on a Flamekeeping shift is relatively effortless. We do Work for Brigid, but Brigid is generous in supporting our ability to do so.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: