collapse

Author Topic: Fasting during shifts  (Read 1729 times)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Fasting during shifts
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:07:55 pm »
Hi all,

I've had the idea of fasting as a devotional practice running about it my head for a while. I'm thinking about incorporating it by fasting for the duration of my shifts however I can't decide if it's a good idea or not.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Or know of any sources or UPG as to whether Brighid would approve of this or not?

I'm interested in anything any of you have to say about this.

Rocquelaire

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Fasting during shifts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:23:38 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;55613
Hi all,

I've had the idea of fasting as a devotional practice running about it my head for a while. I'm thinking about incorporating it by fasting for the duration of my shifts however I can't decide if it's a good idea or not.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Or know of any sources or UPG as to whether Brighid would approve of this or not?

I'm interested in anything any of you have to say about this.

Rocquelaire

Why are you fasting?  

Is it for cleansing or healing or detoxing your body/spirit?

What kind of fasting would it be?  Could you drink water?  How long would the fasting last for?  Do you have any dietary restrictions that might make fasting harder on your body?  

Do you fast well?  If you don't do well after a few hours without food, maybe fasting isn't such a good idea.  Do you have any illnesses to consider?  

Brighid is a goddess of healing and I'd put health along with that obviously.  If you fast for Her and it makes you sick, that may not be such a good offering for Her, y'know?  But if you fast for Her and you're fine and it cleanses or heals you or some-such, than that's awesome.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Fasting during shifts
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 06:46:52 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;55615
Why are you fasting?  

Is it for cleansing or healing or detoxing your body/spirit?

All of the above, really. Mostly I think of it as cleansing.

What kind of fasting would it be?  Could you drink water?  How long would the fasting last for?  Do you have any dietary restrictions that might make fasting harder on your body?

I would still drink water. It would last for about 24 hours. From sunset on one day to sunset on the next. I can't think of any reason that it would be harder on my body than anyone else's.

Do you fast well?  If you don't do well after a few hours without food, maybe fasting isn't such a good idea.  Do you have any illnesses to consider?

I haven't tried a deliberate fast for about ten years but I do often forget to eat. There are days when I don't eat till late in the afternoon and I haven't experienced any adverse effects. The only illness I have is migraine/ chronic daily headache syndrome and I think the detox aspect of fasting may actually help that.

Brighid is a goddess of healing and I'd put health along with that obviously.  If you fast for Her and it makes you sick, that may not be such a good offering for Her, y'know?  But if you fast for Her and you're fine and it cleanses or heals you or some-such, than that's awesome.

I guess I can't know for sure which way it would go without trying. Thanks for giving me some more to think about :)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Fasting during shifts
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:09:23 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;55618
I guess I can't know for sure which way it would go without trying. Thanks for giving me some more to think about :)

Try some divination on your next shift, maybe? See if any strong preferences come through.

I can't fast. After 25 years of wildly erratic eating patterns, I have learned a few things about my body: my mental faculties plummet rapidly after 12 hours without protein; extended periods of low protein, carb or fat intake make me irritable, irrational and much more susceptible to stress migraines. More than 12 hours without food at all means I have the shakes, I can't focus, and if my body was off kilter to begin with, I may slur my speech or faint.

Which is a long way of saying it doesn't work for everyone. Which I expect you knew already. :ashamed:

As I said above- I would try some divination, and if you don't get a red light, try a shorter fast to ease in- or not a full fast, or something, and see how it goes and how you feel.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Tags: