Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Poll

Which is your preference?

eltane/healing, Lughnasadh/smithcraft, Samhain/poetry
3 (37.5%)
eltane/poetry, Lughnasadh/smithcraft, Samhain/healing
2 (25%)
 different configuration (please specify!)
0 (0%)
o preference!
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Cill Project: Cross/Brat Exchange  (Read 5504 times)

SunflowerP

• Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Cill Project: Cross/Brat Exchange
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 01:52:23 am »
Quote from: Juni;453
Heh, explaining my reasoning would probably be useful, huh? My thoughts were:

Beltane/healing- for associations of growth and life

Lughnasadh/smithcraft- largely for associations of heat! But also craftmanship, which is very Lugh.

Samhain/poetry- for associations of the coming cold and indoor activities

I'd definitely like input from others too! I'm not deeply attached to my arrangement, it's just what naturally aligned in my head. :)

I can work with that arrangement (and don't have an alternative to offer anyway).

I like the idea, though I'm not sure how participation will work for me for the next several months.  That's okay, though, since we're presumably going to opt in (or not) one festival at a time.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 07:43:47 pm »
Quote from: Juni;279
Anyone interested?

Yes!

But I'm going to need regular reminders so I don't forget. As much as I try to stay organized, things still slip through the cracks.

Karen

Matrinka

• View Profile
    • http://www.zazzle.com/matrinka*
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 08:49:10 pm »
Anyone interested?

I'm very interested.
Seek always to see and create beauty in the world.

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 10:39:00 pm »
Quote from: Morag;855
I am interested!

Personally, I see Lughnasadh/smithcraft just fine, but I see healing and poetry as interchangeable for Samhain and Beltaine.

Healing for Samhain because it's a time to release the dead and move on, poetry for Beltaine because Beltaine = sex energy to me, and that is liquid fire, living poetry.

However your reasons work well too. :) So either way works for me.

I'm with Morag on the holiday associations.  I'd love to be a part of this.  I used to do holiday swaps with another group and really miss them - they added a very nice mindfulness to the holidays!
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:45 pm »
Anyone interested?

Since we're about a week away from Lughnasadh, I figured I'd bump this thread. I'd like to have the associations chosen by Lughnasadh, that way when I start the opt-in thread for the Samhain exchange on the 2nd, we know what we're working with. I added a poll, so even if you've expressed your thoughts in the thread already, I'd appreciate a vote- it's easier on the spoons to check the poll than dig through the thread and possibly miss someone. We'll go with whichever association has the most votes when I check on August 2nd.

Thanks everyone!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
Cill Project: Cross/Brat Exchange
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 03:42:01 am »
Personally, I parse the connections as Beltane/healing, Lughnasadh/smithcraft, and Samhain/poetry, but that doesn't have to be the way we do it.

Some of you will be aware that a group of us have been considering working on a prayer bead exchange, where we write a prayer together and design prayer beads around that to exchange. There's been a lot of interest but only a few people have committed to taking part. This may be because we are trying to run it concurrently with the Samhain exchange.

Aster suggested that it might be better if we did the prayer bead exchange as the lughnasadh/  smithcraft exchange. So, some questions:

1)Would people be more interested in taking part then?

2)How many people are interested in beading (or would be interested in learning by lughnasadh)?

3)Does anyone feel that they would rather see this as a seperate exchange instead of linked to the Cill exchanges that we have already agreed?

Any other feelings anyone has about it are also welcome. If anyone wants more info you can check out the prayer bead exchange thread or feel free to PM me.

Rocquelaire

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 12:27:40 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;15300

Aster suggested that it might be better if we did the prayer bead exchange as the lughnasadh/  smithcraft exchange. So, some questions:

2)How many people are interested in beading (or would be interested in learning by lughnasadh)?

3)Does anyone feel that they would rather see this as a seperate exchange instead of linked to the Cill exchanges that we have already agreed?

1. I would. I'm poor, and not a beader, but I always like to try new crafties. However, I can't really commit to supplies for two exchanges right now. So, I'd love a little more time (er... a lot more time) to sit with the idea.

2. See the above! I'd love to try.

3. Nah. Not really. But I am a bear of little brain. :p
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 01:53:42 am »

1)  I'm interested, whenever we decide to do it, and whether it's connected to a holiday or not.

2)  I'm a beading junkie.  :cool:  If it's helpful, I'd be happy to try to make a "Beading 101" tutorial, maybe with pics of how I do it.  (And/or I can try to find some good tutorials already online.)  Beading isn't hard and it doesn't really require many tools to get started.  When I first began, I used the pliers on my Swiss Army knife and a pair of nail clippers.

Also, I have a stockpile of leftover beads.  I don't know if any of them would be useful -- I guess that will depend on how we set the project up.  But I'm happy to share, if that would help anyone.

3)  No preference.  

Another idea:  Rather than specifying what kind of object to exchange in connection with each holiday, maybe we could come up with a standing set of ideas for exchanges, and have people choose the kind of project they want to do for each exchange.  So, instead of exchanging only crosses and brats at Imbolc, each participant would choose what they want to create.  And instead of exchanging only prayer bears at Lughnasa, each participant would choose what they want to create.  Make sense?

Some project ideas, just off the top of my head:
Brighid's crosses
brats
prayer beads
keepsake boxes
decorated books for journals
poetry or other creative writing
pottery
painting/drawing
knitted/crocheted pieces (hats, scarfs, etc.)
homemade candles

That's only an idea I'm tossing out there for consideration.  I'm not going to take it personally if we don't use it.  I'm happy to go with whatever is best for everyone.  :)

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Garnet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Departmental; Feri, Thelema, Morningstar; Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/they
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 10:46:22 pm »

Definitely.

I definitely am - I'm a wire and strung jewelry artist.

I'm fine either way, although I'm leaning more towards it being a separate exchange. As a jewelry artist, I tend to have the most ideas for the "smithcraft" end of things, so I could definitely do both.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »

I'll do as many exchanges as I have time to do. I just don't want to see us get burned out on exchanges all this year. Twice a year seems like plenty, so we have time and funds spread out.

Karen

Tags: