Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Open for Testing -- Please post here  (Read 4573 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Open for Testing -- Please post here
« on: May 25, 2017, 05:15:43 pm »
The new forum is open for testing. I've seen several people here but haven't seen any posts. I'm not sure if this means people can't post or are just too busy catching up to post. So I'm asking people (especially not staff people) to post a note here when they try this new board. Thanks!
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Re: Open for Testing -- Please post here
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:19:36 pm »
The new forum is open for testing. I've seen several people here but haven't seen any posts. I'm not sure if this means people can't post or are just too busy catching up to post. So I'm asking people (especially not staff people) to post a note here when they try this new board. Thanks!

“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:52 pm »

Well, I've had no trouble logging in. I seem to have already acquired an avatar from somewhere, I'll go see if I can change it to something that's not a Pokémon. I'll have a poke around and see if anything breaks.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:02:45 pm »
Well, I've had no trouble logging in. I seem to have already acquired an avatar from somewhere, I'll go see if I can change it to something that's not a Pokémon. I'll have a poke around and see if anything breaks.

Okay, I think it was caching an old google avatar I've used elsewhere, which is weird, but I've changed my avatar now and that seems to work. Still getting used to navigating, all the profile stuff's in the wrong place. But no issues so far.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:49:08 am »
Okay, I think it was caching an old google avatar I've used elsewhere, which is weird, but I've changed my avatar now and that seems to work. Still getting used to navigating, all the profile stuff's in the wrong place. But no issues so far.

It might well be whatever you have on your Gravatar. We've already noticed (this came up last year, when we tried to move to SMF and it didn't work out) that it auto-defaults to the person's Gravatar if they have one (that is, if you have a Gravatar, you can't choose to have no avatar - which seems stupid to me, but that's how it is). We think how it does this is by seeing if your email address is associated with a Gravatar - which does open the possibility that it'll do the same with other widely-used services that have associated avatars, such as Google. (Probably not Twitter, which is not quite as universal as Gravatar or Google, and very unlikely to be Facebook since they do have a bit of a wall between their service and the wilds of the Web.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:14:19 am »
Apparently Tapatalk knows me but I can't remember my password to log in on the laptop. Arg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 06:57:11 am »
Apparently Tapatalk knows me but I can't remember my password to log in on the laptop. Arg.

At least we now know Tapatalk works. You can reset your password but then you'll need to change it on Tapatalk too.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 07:55:28 am »

Altair, reporting in! Jeez, a boy wanders away for a bit for his annual obsess-about-birds month, and y'all go and shake everything up. ;)

Thanks, Randall and Lyric and staff for all the work that must have gone on behind the scenes to get everything up and running.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 08:19:01 am »
Altair, reporting in! Jeez, a boy wanders away for a bit for his annual obsess-about-birds month, and y'all go and shake everything up. ;)

I hope there were lots of birds. That's one thing about being in NE Ohio now that I really like, there are lots of old tall trees and therefore a larger variety of birds beyond sparrows, grackles, and cardinals that are the mainstays of urban areas like Dallas, Waco, and San Antonio in Texas.

This all started with updating the TC web sites to be able to use the more secure https protocol. I decided to create a new Vps (since our old one was 9 years old and had already been through several OS upgrades). This should have been easy. However, the version of vBulletin we were using did not work on more current versions of PHP. I tried to upgrade vBulletin to the newest version which supposedly would handle more current versions of php and the upgrade blew up. I tried to restore the backup made just before the upgrade attempt. It was bad. I then decided the dump vBulletin and set up SMF using the previous (2 day old) forum database backup. I was much more careful setting SMF up and (did not make the modifications I made l made last year that I believe caused the attempt to convert to SMF fail) and here we are. Unfortunately this turned what should have been a day or so of downtime into about a week of downtime.

I am, however, glad to be back on SMF and very happy to have the new, clean server.

Randall

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 08:28:44 am »
I hope there were lots of birds. That's one thing about being in NE Ohio now that I really like, there are lots of old tall trees and therefore a larger variety of birds beyond sparrows, grackles, and cardinals that are the mainstays of urban areas like Dallas, Waco, and San Antonio in Texas.

There were indeed lots of birds! I'll probably scour Central Park one or two more mornings before calling it quits for the season. You, however, MUST check out Magee Marsh! It matches Central Park as a "migrant trap" that concentrates the birds, and it should be right in your neighborhood. Go NOW--it's the tail end of the spring songbird migration, but you should still be able to get some good stuff, esp. since my birder friends who are Magee regulars tell me the migration was quite late out there this year.

I am, however, glad to be back on SMF and very happy to have the new, clean server.

Nicely done, Randall!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 09:19:09 am »
There were indeed lots of birds! I'll probably scour Central Park one or two more mornings before calling it quits for the season. You, however, MUST check out Magee Marsh! It matches Central Park as a "migrant trap" that concentrates the birds, and it should be right in your neighborhood.

It' actually on the other side of the state and probably out of reach this year given Lyric's disabilities (especially her current ankle problems). However, I'm putting it on the list for next year. We are lucky enough to live a couple of blocks from Mill Creek Park -- one of the largest parks in a US city (at around 4500 acres). It's not Central Park but it's very nice. I can walk in it, but Lyric just enjoys being able to drive through it.
Randall

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 09:59:33 am »
It might well be whatever you have on your Gravatar. We've already noticed (this came up last year, when we tried to move to SMF and it didn't work out) that it auto-defaults to the person's Gravatar if they have one (that is, if you have a Gravatar, you can't choose to have no avatar - which seems stupid to me, but that's how it is). We think how it does this is by seeing if your email address is associated with a Gravatar - which does open the possibility that it'll do the same with other widely-used services that have associated avatars, such as Google. (Probably not Twitter, which is not quite as universal as Gravatar or Google, and very unlikely to be Facebook since they do have a bit of a wall between their service and the wilds of the Web.)

Sunflower

Yes, I assumed it was something like that. I thought google, too, but gravatar makes sense. I use it on wordpress (though for the life of me I can't remember how I got one in the first place, but okay.) Like I said, weird, but didn't cause me any problems. I changed my avatar just fine. Though it doesn't surprise me that you can't choose no icon if it uses gravatar as the default icon setting. It is annoying, but I don't find it surprising.

Abigail

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:56 am »

My only problem signing in was the realization that I really should clean up the pile with small notes and post-its that are an unsorted chaos of passwords and other reminders.  :-[

Thank you for your hard work, the board looks good!

Hrútsvinr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Torch and Hailstone
  • Religion: Norse/Slavic Polytheism
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 05:39:07 am »

This explains why my old TC avatar (coincidentally the same as my Gravatar) showed up after I changed my email to my gmail (linked to my Gravatar).

I couldn't log in for some reason, with my username and password, so I ended up sending myself an email to change my password, but it went to my aol email, so I had to dig up the password for that account and change my password, to log in to TC finally, to change my TC email to my gmail account. And then my avatar popped up.

Long story short, I had difficulties logging in with my account - and I know for a fact that I did have the right account name and password. Maybe others have had this problem.

Anyway I just wanted to test out the posting.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 06:20:31 am »
Long story short, I had difficulties logging in with my account - and I know for a fact that I did have the right account name and password. Maybe others have had this problem.

Did you log in twice the first time you tried? When you long in for the first time on the converted board, it cannot read your vbulletin password, so it tries to converts it and brings up the login page again (with a request for you to long in a second time buried in the text). If you typo your password either time or fail to try to log in the second time as it asks, the software seems to get confused.  It's not the best system but the alternative the system not trying to convert the passwords and everyone having to request a new password.
Randall

Tags: