collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)  (Read 654 times)

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 9322
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:16:32 am »
The eleventh anniversary of one of the saddest days in the history of The Cauldron is almost upon us (literally in this case as I thought I had posted this several days ago). If you were a member of The Cauldron any time from about 2003 to early 2006, you will remember Chavi (aka Storyteller Cat and, in offline life, Cathlene Patricia McKenna) and starting in early 2005, her ever positive reports on her battle with a rare form of cancer. (Some of these posted used to be available on our 2005 Archive Board -- but the software it ran on does not support modern versions of PHP.) The odds were against her from the beginning, but that did not stop her from fighting hard to try to be one of the rare survivors. And for a time it looked like she really might overcome those long odds. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be so. We lost Chavi on April 1, 2006.

Elspeth, one of the founders of this board passed over on April 19, 2010, after years of fighting congestive heart failure and other medical problems which kept her offline except for generally brief spells for the last five or six years before her death. She was a major participant here in the early years of this board and her posts can be found on our old Delphi forum. Some of her poetry and other writings can in old issues of our newsletter and in the Samhain section of our web site. The Cauldron would have never started if Elspeth had not wanted a forum to replace a small mailing list, The Grove, which she ran. Back then in cost money to run a user-ran forum on Delphi (where we were at the time) and I gave her a year of that cost and my help running the forum as a present.

Marilyn (aka Absent) probably needs no introduction to recent members of this board. She was a long time active member of this board with many posts to her credit up until she suddenly passed on February 16th of 2013. She was a long time staff member whose expertise on the Tarot was appreciated by all.

Saturday, April 1, 2017, marks the 11th anniversary of Chavi's passing. Since the first anniversary of her passing, we have honored her on April 1st with 24 hours of candle burning. Six years ago, we started honoring Elspeth on this day as well. Three years ago, we added Marilyn to this annual memorial. We are asking all Cauldron members who knew Chavi, Elspeth, or Marilyn; knew of Chavi, Elspeth, or Marilyn; or who did not know any of these three people but just want to help honor three wonderful people who meant a lot to many members of TC (and wish to participate) to light a candle in honor of Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn at 8pm your local time on April 1st and let it burn for at least an hour. The object is to have 24 hours of candles burning for them -- one hour at a time around the world. Given things like oceans and the like, this may not be completely possible, but I have always come close -- especially as some of us let our candles burn for much longer than one hour.

If you log in on April 1st, you will probably notice that many longtime members of this board have changed their avatar for the day to either an avatar of a hat or their regular avatar wearing a hat. These hats are usually somewhat silly. We do this in honor of Chavi who had a thing for silly hats.

If you want to participate, please post in here. Everyone, regardless of religion, is welcome to participate. If you can't participate at 8pm your time, feel free to pick a different hour, I can promise you that neither Chavi, Elspeth, nor Marilyn would have been sticklers about the time. Neither are we.

[I'm sorry for the very short notice. I really thought I had posted this Monday. It wasn't until LyricFox asked about this that I realized I apparently had not actually posted it.]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:17:28 am by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

SunflowerP

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 6994
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 7
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;204470
If you want to participate, please post in here. Everyone, regardless of religion, is welcome to participate. If you can't participate at 8pm your time, feel free to pick a different hour, I can promise you that neither Chavi, Elspeth, nor Marilyn would have been sticklers about the time. Neither are we.

[I'm sorry for the very short notice. I really thought I had posted this Monday. It wasn't until LyricFox asked about this that I realized I apparently had not actually posted it.]

 
I'm in, as always.

(And it slipped my mind, too :ashamed:; I'm glad it didn't slip Lyric's!)

Sunflower
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 9322
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 06:17:51 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;204475

(And it slipped my mind, too :ashamed:; I'm glad it didn't slip Lyric's!)


Lyric does more than most know even if she can't be on the board except rarely any more.

BTW, I've just put my avatar's hat on for the day.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • Posts: 2236
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 4
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:50:46 am »
Quote from: RandallS;204470


Saturday, April 1, 2017, marks the 11th anniversary of Chavi's passing. Since the first anniversary of her passing, we have honored her on April 1st with 24 hours of candle burning. Six years ago, we started honoring Elspeth on this day as well. Three years ago, we added Marilyn to this annual memorial. We are asking all Cauldron members who knew Chavi, Elspeth, or Marilyn; knew of Chavi, Elspeth, or Marilyn; or who did not know any of these three people but just want to help honor three wonderful people who meant a lot to many members of TC (and wish to participate) to light a candle in honor of Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn at 8pm your local time on April 1st and let it burn for at least an hour. The object is to have 24 hours of candles burning for them -- one hour at a time around the world. Given things like oceans and the like, this may not be completely possible, but I have always come close -- especially as some of us let our candles burn for much longer than one hour.

If you log in on April 1st, you will probably notice that many longtime members of this board have changed their avatar for the day to either an avatar of a hat or their regular avatar wearing a hat. These hats are usually somewhat silly. We do this in honor of Chavi who had a thing for silly hats.

If you want to participate, please post in here. Everyone, regardless of religion, is welcome to participate. If you can't participate at 8pm your time, feel free to pick a different hour, I can promise you that neither Chavi, Elspeth, nor Marilyn would have been sticklers about the time. Neither are we.

[I'm sorry for the very short notice. I really thought I had posted this Monday. It wasn't until LyricFox asked about this that I realized I apparently had not actually posted it.]

 
I'm in

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 9322
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:12:33 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;204470
The eleventh anniversary of one of the saddest days in the history of The Cauldron is almost upon us (literally in this case as I thought I had posted this several days ago).


Lyric and I lit our candle about 3:30 PM EDT and it will burn until we go to bed around 9:45 or 10.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4295
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 25
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 09:23:21 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;204529
Lyric and I lit our candle about 3:30 PM EDT and it will burn until we go to bed around 9:45 or 10.

 
Got mine lit a little before 9PM, and it'll go until out.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

ehbowen

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Houston, Texas
  • Posts: 342
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:01:31 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;204538
Got mine lit a little before 9PM, and it'll go until out.

 
Candle lit at 9 PM Central (CDT; UTC+5); will let it burn until the end.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

SunflowerP

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 6994
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 7
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 10:08:49 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;204504
BTW, I've just put my avatar's hat on for the day.

 
I put my hat on before I went to bed, since it was already technically today at that point.

Lighting my candle now (a bit after 8, MDT); like others are doing, I'll let it burn until it's gone.

Sunflower
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

ehbowen

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Houston, Texas
  • Posts: 342
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:44:04 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;204540
I put my hat on before I went to bed, since it was already technically today at that point.

 
You shamed me into it.



I know it's very late for this year, but now I'll have it ready for next year....
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

SunflowerP

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 6994
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 7
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 11:51:47 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;204542
You shamed me into it.



I know it's very late for this year, but now I'll have it ready for next year....

 
That's perfect.

Sunflower
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

ehbowen

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Houston, Texas
  • Posts: 342
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 01:01:28 am »
Quote from: ehbowen;204539
Candle lit at 9 PM Central (CDT; UTC+5); will let it burn until the end.

 
Candle has burned through midnight my time; close to going out on its own.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

ehbowen

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Houston, Texas
  • Posts: 342
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 01:20:28 am »
Quote from: ehbowen;204548
Candle has burned through midnight my time; close to going out on its own.

 
Out at 12:12:30 (+/-10 seconds) my time; going to bed. Best wishes to all concerned.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 9322
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2017)
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 06:11:46 am »
Quote from: ehbowen;204542
You shamed me into it.




I like it!
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
44 Replies
4550 Views
Last post April 02, 2012, 01:26:44 pm
by yewberry
45 Replies
3559 Views
Last post April 02, 2013, 02:50:25 pm
by yewberry
42 Replies
3165 Views
Last post April 02, 2014, 09:12:54 am
by RandallS
19 Replies
6639 Views
Last post April 02, 2015, 07:32:18 am
by RandallS
17 Replies
2695 Views
Last post April 01, 2016, 09:06:19 pm
by SunflowerP

* Members in Chat

0 members chatting in CauldronMUX:
Updated every five minutes or so

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru, Tana

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk

Reserve Staff:
Aisling, Bob, Catja, Fausta, Sperran, Steve

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Jubes, Kelly, Koi, Melamphoros, Ocelot, Phouka, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall