Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?  (Read 7690 times)

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 09:25:00 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;134701
I also think we should consider updating the Pagan Primer, the Teens & Paganism FAQ (maybe combine them?), and any other similar resources we have posted. At the very least, they should be checked for broken links.

As someone who worked on the Teen Paganism project many moons ago, I would lean towards keeping them separate. Not because there's no overlap (I'm sure there is), but because when I was a teen, there was so little good information out there directed towards teens. I think if keeping the Teen title gets it to its target audience better, that's a good thing.

I do think updates could be valuable though...

Love all the ideas on this thread!
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 09:35:38 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;134864
I somehow missed this message. Apologies.

It might be, then again people might look for them in the related SIG as that's where they would expect them to be. I really don't know which is best. I think we need more input.

About the resource lists, what I was thinking is to keep them in the SIGs, but to ALSO have some more obvious place where we could have an overarching list or pointers to the SIG lists. Or something like that. Basically just to make them easier for newbies to find.

I'd be up for working on updating the Primer and the FAQ, and/or for checking links
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 10:03:15 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;134866
About the resource lists, what I was thinking is to keep them in the SIGs, but to ALSO have some more obvious place where we could have an overarching list or pointers to the SIG lists. Or something like that. Basically just to make them easier for newbies to find.

Ahh, that would work. The wiki would be a good place for this list as well as wiki pages are easy to modify -- unlike posts.

I'd be up for working on updating the Primer and the FAQ, and/or for checking links

Noted in my little book of volunteers. :)
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 02:46:17 am »
Quote from: RandallS;134869
Ahh, that would work. The wiki would be a good place for this list as well as wiki pages are easy to modify -- unlike posts.

Something like this?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 03:19:03 am »
Quote from: Jack;134833
I'd be happy to help index older articles on the Wiki; that solution seems like a good combination of easy-to-do and at-least-nominally-useful. Do you think it would be worth looking to see if any of the old articles would actually be worth integrating into the wiki instead of just adding a link?

So I was going through the articles on the previous incarnation and I noticed one on the Einherjar, which seemed like it would transition well to the wiki. I added a link from the Asatru page and then created a page for it, leaving the original author's attribution and copyright intact.

My instinct is that since the author originally authorized posting it to TC, moving it to another part of TC is within the bounds of acceptability, though it does leave the article open to later editing, which the original did not. Would this be a reasonable thing to do with more of the older articles?

If you are of the opinion that this is not acceptable reposting, I of course do not have the permissions to delete but I could remove the text and insert some placeholder information on the subject in its place, followed by a link to the original article. If you think that would be better let me know and I'll be happy to make that change.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 07:50:44 am »
Quote from: Jack;134894
So I was going through the articles on the previous incarnation and I noticed one on the Einherjar, which seemed like it would transition well to the wiki. I added a link from the Asatru page and then created a page for it, leaving the original author's attribution and copyright intact.

While this is a good idea in theory, Wiki pages can be editted by anyone and are intended to be editable resouirces. Articles were not intended by their authors to be subject to change by everyone on the Internet. Changing them is a violation of the author's rights. Therefore I've had to remove the article you moved to the Wiki.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 07:53:05 am »
Quote from: Jack;134890
Something like this?

Thank you, Jack!
Randall

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 11:59:07 am »
Quote from: RandallS;134900
While this is a good idea in theory, Wiki pages can be editted by anyone and are intended to be editable resouirces. Articles were not intended by their authors to be subject to change by everyone on the Internet. Changing them is a violation of the author's rights. Therefore I've had to remove the article you moved to the Wiki.

Understood. Would a series of wiki pages like this Einherjar stub, designed to direct both include some starter info and also direct people to relevant articles on the old board, be a better way to integrate the older articles?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 01:07:05 pm »
Quote from: Jack;134929
Understood. Would a series of wiki pages like this Einherjar stub, designed to direct both include some starter info and also direct people to relevant articles on the old board, be a better way to integrate the older articles?

That's a fantastic way to do it!
Randall

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 02:00:22 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;134938
That's a fantastic way to do it!

Great! They're pretty easy to write, so pretty much anybody should be able to do one or two if they've got some time.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 04:13:10 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;134808
That could work, although it would not be in the article area of this board (if that matters).

Since all I'm really after is a less arcane way to get to the other articles (and possibly some way of making it a bit more evident that they exist to get to), no, I don't think it matters.  They're fine where they are.  (And as for not having a unified theme, I don't think that matters, either - in fact, having an older theme on the older article archive might be preferable; it reminds people that they're in an older archive, and is a nifty way to archive the themes themselves, which are part of TC's history.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:00 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;134814
I figured we'd want to put a committee together to write it - maybe hold some discussions in MUX?

Oh, definitely a committee - I kind of took that for granted, since it's how TC typically gets a project done. And MUX is probably a good place for at least some of it - how much of it might depend on whether all the committee members are MUXers.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 06:43:58 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;134968
Since all I'm really after is a less arcane way to get to the other articles (and possibly some way of making it a bit more evident that they exist to get to), no, I don't think it matters.  They're fine where they are.

That works for me.
Randall

Tags: