Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?  (Read 7573 times)

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 08:53:33 am »
Quote from: RandallS;134805
If someone was willing to pay me a living wage for 4 to 6 months of full time work, I could consolidate everything and even have the various areas of the web site under a single theme instead the current mix of there or four themes.

Is there a feasible way to "crowdsource" this? Maybe if many people each worked on a few, it would be enough to get through most. I can see where that might be difficult to handle in the web site CMS, but maybe it would be more workable in the wiki?

If it is possible, I'd also suggest putting a link to the relevant page in the "no new posts" notice, e.g. "There are no new posts since your last visit. How about helping out the Cauldron by categorizing an article?" ;)
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 09:05:26 am »
Quote from: beachglass;134809
Is there a feasible way to "crowdsource" this? Maybe if many people each worked on a few, it would be enough to get through most. I can see where that might be difficult to handle in the web site CMS, but maybe it would be more workable in the wiki?

Most of what needs to be done requires server-level access as it is not on any type of CMS. You have to access and work with the actual HTML.  Even moving the articles to a CMS would require server access as one would have to replace the original page with a forward to the new page as each was published on the CMS. This is what happens when you have a very large non-commercial/hobbyist site (i.e. one with no money behind it) that was originally created in early 1998 and added to piecemeal thereafter.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 09:31:45 am »
Quote from: RandallS;134645
Another year has arrived. What would you like to see The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum try to do in 2014 (new and different, just improved, etc.)? Why we can't promise to make any New Year's wishes for TC come true, we will look hard at them.

Note: Improvements/additions that cost money will probably not be possible unless someone is willing to donate the money, but don't let that stop you from "wishing" for them.

Completely unrealistic I know but, sometimes I wish The Cauldron had a podcast. I gave up on Pagan podcasts when I just couldn't find something as poignant (to me anyway) as Deo's Shadow. The kind of topics covered by this board in one week puts The Wild Hunt to shame and the absence of Big Name Pagan politics keeps the board from turning into one big wankfest.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 10:14:07 am »
Quote from: dionysiandame;134812
Completely unrealistic I know but, sometimes I wish The Cauldron had a podcast. I gave up on Pagan podcasts when I just couldn't find something as poignant (to me anyway) as Deo's Shadow. The kind of topics covered by this board in one week puts The Wild Hunt to shame and the absence of Big Name Pagan politics keeps the board from turning into one big wankfest.

See, I think this would be a great idea - different topic every week (or two weeks), based on discussions on the board, a Q&A section, etc.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 10:14:53 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;134764
Funny, I've been having thoughts the last month or two about coming up with some kind of less-formal-than-the-rules TC Users' Guide, covering all sorts of things (from technical to board culture) that people often have difficulty with. I thought of Shad's post on thread necromancy and welcomes, and my supplement to it, as being one piece of it; another piece that I keep thinking of has to do with navigation, how to notice what forum you're in and why it's useful to do so.

I don't know if I'd be able to work intensively on this, since I've already got a few TC projects on the go or on hold (the pronoun writeup, first off; after that, I want to get the PoC SIG construction discussion restarted). But I'd like to at least feed my ideas into it (probably one or two at a time, as I remember them :)).

Sunflower

I figured we'd want to put a committee together to write it - maybe hold some discussions in MUX?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 10:15:50 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;134813
See, I think this would be a great idea - different topic every week (or two weeks), based on discussions on the board, a Q&A section, etc.

You know, if someone else were editing it*, I'd be keen to be involved with that.

*Editing is an incredible amount of work, and the reason I don't put my podcast out more often.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:16:51 am by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 11:03:19 am »
Quote from: dionysiandame;134812

I can't help with an actual podcast (no time and so not a good radio voice), but I can set up a part of the website for them. I think they are a great idea if enough people are interested and able to do the work.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 11:40:25 am »
Quote from: RandallS;134810
This is what happens when you have a very large non-commercial/hobbyist site (i.e. one with no money behind it) that was originally created in early 1998 and added to piecemeal thereafter.

I understand! I work for a website that definitely has money behind it and half of my job is mitigating this exact same problem. I think it's the curse of the early adopter - you roll your own and it works great and then all of a sudden everyone else who started ten years later are all on some other standard.

Even if we can't get all the articles in one place, I like FierFlye's suggestion of a unified index in the wiki. If we can get many people to do just a little indexing, it should not take so long to compile.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;134731
Unfortunately not really. I could add article to the current board pointing to articles on the old board, but that's about all that could be done barring moving the articles from the old board to the new board, which would cause other issues (like they would all appear to be written by me).

I'd be happy to help index older articles on the Wiki; that solution seems like a good combination of easy-to-do and at-least-nominally-useful. Do you think it would be worth looking to see if any of the old articles would actually be worth integrating into the wiki instead of just adding a link?

I believe I can make the button link to any page which means someone would have to come up with a good homepage.

I think this seems like a pretty good homepage already: http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Homepage
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 03:40:58 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;134808
That could work, although it would not be in the article area of this board (if that matters).

Is there a way to make an article a Sticky?

If so, there could be a "Welcome to the Articles" sticky that says something about old articles on old incarnations of TC and directs people to the Wiki to read them. Unless articles are easy to update in the future, then the archived articles TOC could be a sticky IN the article section instead of a wiki page.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 03:42:31 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;134840
Unless articles are easy to update in the future, then the archived articles TOC could be a sticky IN the article section instead of a wiki page.

Well it looks like articles can not be updated by people who are not the original author, so that wouldn't work.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;134815
You know, if someone else were editing it*, I'd be keen to be involved with that.

*Editing is an incredible amount of work, and the reason I don't put my podcast out more often.

Holy crap is it ever! My sister edits ours and it's like... three hours for every hour or something ridiculous like that.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 03:55:28 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;134843
Holy crap is it ever! My sister edits ours and it's like... three hours for every hour or something ridiculous like that.

I reckon it takes me twice that, because of how irredeemably bad at it I am.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 04:22:57 pm »
Quote from: Jack;134833
I think this seems like a pretty good homepage already: http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Homepage

The Wiki button now points to this. Thank you!
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 08:57:09 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;134701
One thing that comes to mind is an overarching resources folder.  We have a lot of fantastic resource lists, but most are in the SIGs.  And, judging from how many times we've had to point people to those lists, I wonder if it might be more efficient to collect them all in one very obvious and clearly labeled place.

I somehow missed this message. Apologies.

It might be, then again people might look for them in the related SIG as that's where they would expect them to be. I really don't know which is best. I think we need more input.

I also think we should consider updating the Pagan Primer,

Definitely, that was thrown together years ago. The main page has been modified slightly over time, but it could be much better.

the Teens & Paganism FAQ (maybe combine them?), and any other similar resources we have posted.

Worth considering.

At the very least, they should be checked for broken links.

Definitely. We just need a link checking volunteer.

Also, are we still using the intro boilerplate post the staff drafted a while back?  I know I used it several times when responding to posts asking for beginner info, but I'm not sure if we ever incorporated it into any kind of standard "welcome to TC" email or anything like that.  If not, maybe e should think about doing that.

There's a welcome to TC PM, but I don't think it really says much. I set it up when we moved to this board. Looking into improving this is a very good idea.
Randall

Tags: